British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Mosquito Season (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/mosquito-season-804047/)

dave1982 Jul 25th 2013 9:51 pm

Mosquito Season

Anyone know how long the Mosquito season is in Hungary?

adventurejunkie Jul 25th 2013 11:35 pm

Re: Mosquito Season

Originally Posted by dave1982 (Post 10819412)
Anyone know how long the Mosquito season is in Hungary?

Wondered too about this after being eaten alive at Kis Balaton a couple of weeks ago the locals did not seem at all fazed...

dave1982 Jul 26th 2013 7:07 am

Just by coincidence we were there at Kis Balaton two weeks ago visited the lake, crossed the large wooden bridge to be attacked fiercely by the little blighters. My car parking fee for an hour was definitely not taken advantage of.

We purchased a property in Zalakaros nearby and are returning in September and the main reason why I'm interested to find out whether to expect to be bitten without protection in the 3rd week of the month.

Anybody know?

That is ,whether they're about in late September.

Rural Hungary Jul 26th 2013 7:10 am

Depending on the temperature, there will still be some about in September though not nearly as many as when you were.

duztee Jul 26th 2013 2:25 pm

No sympathy whatsoever for you 'Lake-dwellers'! :tounge_smile:

Still have not seen a mozzie or had a single bite here on the Flat-lands.

Rural Hungary Jul 26th 2013 2:32 pm

Haha, the West consists of far more than the lake! Many of us are a good 20-40 minutes from the lake, that said, just about every village in this area has a lake! Ours has just been stocked to create a fishing lake and so along with the caravan park and petting zoo, we will officially be a "tourist resort".... You gotta love our mayor for his perseverance.
Back to mozzies, have seen quite a few but not a problem this year at all - it's all that zinc and citronella, or the amount of asian food we eat:unsure:

duztee Jul 27th 2013 7:02 am

Ah! so perhaps it is not so much the abundance of water but the large quantity of soft pale tasty northern Europeans tourists that the lakes attract which in turn attracts the mozzies!

I don't know if it is true but I have been told they try to avoid blood/bodies with a high garlic content.
Not being a lover of garlic and not having any mozzies here I am unable to carry out any form of unscientific evaluation to support or disprove this 'old wives tale'.

rammy100 Aug 2nd 2013 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by duztee (Post 10821357)
Ah! so perhaps it is not so much the abundance of water but the large quantity of soft pale tasty northern Europeans tourists that the lakes attract which in turn attracts the mozzies!

I don't know if it is true but I have been told they try to avoid blood/bodies with a high garlic content.
Not being a lover of garlic and not having any mozzies here I am unable to carry out any form of unscientific evaluation to support or disprove this 'old wives tale'.

I once read an article that said some people give off an odour that attracts mozzies whilst others give off one that repels them.

I recall once waiting for a train with 3 friends at Fuzesabony station after a day out at the wine cellars in Eger (incidentally one of my favourite day trips from Budapest) and two of us (me included as they can sniff me out at a hundred paces) were eaten alive by pigeon-sized mozzies whilst the other two were left alone. We had all eaten and drank much the same, so this theory was, very unscientifically, put to the test.

I'm in Bratislava and, this time last year, our apartment was plagued with them yet so far this year, there have been hardly any. Weird or what?

cathyg Aug 2nd 2013 2:24 pm

Without wishing to start a big scientific debate my solution is Marmite. My scientific basis for this is that my husband doesn't eat it and gets loads more bites than me. However I think he just smells better to them nasty little beasties.
So a sandwich full of cheese spread and marmite a day keeps the mosquitoes away :rofl:

Rural Hungary Aug 2nd 2013 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by cathyg (Post 10832007)
Without wishing to start a big scientific debate my solution is Marmite. My scientific basis for this is that my husband doesn't eat it and gets loads more bites than me. However I think he just smells better to them nasty little beasties.
So a sandwich full of cheese spread and marmite a day keeps the mosquitoes away :rofl:

I think you might be getting closer with the cheese than the marmite.... Have a read of this - who would have thought it to be such a complex issue? Then again, if there was an easy solution, I guess malaria and the million plus people it kills each year would be a thing of the past. We should be grateful that the worst we experience is a few days of looking like Mr Blobby and a run to the chemists for some antihistamine tablets..........
(Kids saying over my shoulder - mum, your playing the guilt card again, we don't live in Africa and so you can't draw a comparison!) Rural leaves to have a meaningful discussion with said children;)

FenTiger Aug 2nd 2013 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by cathyg (Post 10832007)

That's me destined to be eaten alive by female mozzies .... cos I HATE marmite! :frown::thumbdown:

FenTiger Aug 2nd 2013 4:37 pm

Does garlic have any effect ... I mean to deter mozzies? i.e. garlic vitamin pills?

Evie2 Aug 3rd 2013 4:47 am

I love Marmite my husband hates it. Mozzies used to leave me alone and take chunks out of him! Marmite contains vitamin B12 which mosquitoes are supposed to hate.....hmmm....I think they must have taken a liking to it because now ,with or without Marmite, I still get the odd bite. Oleander is a mozzie deterrent (a very poisonous shrub though) and apparently Bounce conditioner sheets, that you put in the tumble dryer, are perfumed with oleander. This may or not help....or you could hang one of the sheets from your belt ? I think not !! And, from what I`ve read the jury is still out on garlic.....among other things....

duztee Aug 3rd 2013 10:26 am

We are 'tarring all mozzies with the same brush' here.
It is always possible some like Marmite and garlic :)

duztee Aug 3rd 2013 10:29 am

Odd coincidence that the Google banner ad under this thread should be one for:-

Mosquito repeller

Search Largest China Supplier Base. Verified Global Exporters-Join Free

www. alibaba. com/ Mosquito-Repeller