Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Marriage proposal

Marriage proposal

Reply

Old Jul 5th 2018, 9:53 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Gunnerwhite87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage proposal

Hi everyone,

im new to the group so forgive me if this post is in the wrong section.

i want to propose to my partner next month. Her father is Hungarian and I would like to ask him for her hand in marriage. My question is this:

is there a Hungarian tradition differs from British tradition when asking for a hand in marriage or something traditional such as offering a gift when asking for example?

Your help is much appreciated

thanks in advance

Daryl
Gunnerwhite87 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th 2018, 7:48 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 899
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Re: Marriage proposal

Originally Posted by Gunnerwhite87 View Post
Hi everyone,

im new to the group so forgive me if this post is in the wrong section.

i want to propose to my partner next month. Her father is Hungarian and I would like to ask him for her hand in marriage. My question is this:

is there a Hungarian tradition differs from British tradition when asking for a hand in marriage or something traditional such as offering a gift when asking for example?

Your help is much appreciated

thanks in advance

Daryl
I'm not aware of any tradition but I did propose to my wife first and then asked both her parents for her hand in marriage. As my Hungarian is pretty bad my wife had to translate for me! They did ask me a few questions and had serious looks on their faces. We have now been married for 11 years! :-) I did not give a gift and we all had a couple of shots of home made palinka afterwards. It might be a good idea to buy a good bottle of palinka, put it on the table with enough glasses for all to toast your proposal.
Have you already proposed to your partner? Are you intending to ask the parents first?

Good luck Daryl.
FenTiger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th 2018, 12:00 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 122
enter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage proposal

Is there a simplified way to get married in Hungary i.e is there someone who you can pay to do all the paperwork (subject to our info supplied) and arrange a simple ceremony, I wonder.
enter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th 2018, 1:30 pm
  #4  
it's not true!
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 2,842
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage proposal

Originally Posted by enter View Post
Is there a simplified way to get married in Hungary i.e is there someone who you can pay to do all the paperwork (subject to our info supplied) and arrange a simple ceremony, I wonder.
Will you be in or near Budapest?

If so these people, Helpers Hungary could almost certainly fix you up, even if your much further out I am sure they could sort out the paperwork.

Helpers Hungary

Last edited by Expatrick; Jul 6th 2018 at 2:03 pm.
Expatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th 2018, 3:05 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Location: Szeged
Posts: 222
Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage proposal

Translation etc would be expensive and the whole Hungarian marriage process for an English speaker/partner is more complex than marrying in the uk.
Szeged is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th 2018, 4:45 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 122
enter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage proposal

Thanks
enter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th 2018, 6:08 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Gunnerwhite87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage proposal

Originally Posted by FenTiger View Post
I'm not aware of any tradition but I did propose to my wife first and then asked both her parents for her hand in marriage. As my Hungarian is pretty bad my wife had to translate for me! They did ask me a few questions and had serious looks on their faces. We have now been married for 11 years! :-) I did not give a gift and we all had a couple of shots of home made palinka afterwards. It might be a good idea to buy a good bottle of palinka, put it on the table with enough glasses for all to toast your proposal.
Have you already proposed to your partner? Are you intending to ask the parents first?

Good luck Daryl.
thank you for your reply! Much appreciated.

I plan to ask her her next Month and yes I am going to ask her parents. I know it will go a very long way. Palinka is a good idea although not drinkers I’m sure they will appreciate the sentiment.

Lets hope she says yes 😂
Gunnerwhite87 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th 2018, 7:05 pm
  #8  
it's not true!
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 2,842
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage proposal

Originally Posted by Gunnerwhite87 View Post


thank you for your reply! Much appreciated.

I plan to ask her her next Month and yes I am going to ask her parents. I know it will go a very long way. Palinka is a good idea although not drinkers I’m sure they will appreciate the sentiment.

Lets hope she says yes 😂
Hungarians do enjoy (Hungarian) Champagne too!

PS: You can buy a couple of bottles of Törley or Hungária for less than 6000Ft.

Last edited by Expatrick; Jul 6th 2018 at 7:53 pm.
Expatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th 2018, 6:51 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 899
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Re: Marriage proposal

Originally Posted by Gunnerwhite87 View Post


thank you for your reply! Much appreciated.

I plan to ask her her next Month and yes I am going to ask her parents. I know it will go a very long way. Palinka is a good idea although not drinkers I’m sure they will appreciate the sentiment.

Lets hope she says yes 😂
I've just asked my wife about the Hungarian tradition of proposing and she said it is the same as in the UK. Instead of palinka you could present a nice tokaji wine. Let us know how it goes. I will be checking this forum and will raise a glass or two .... no ... multiple glasses of palinka .... and tell my wife's family about your proposal .... I'm sure they'll join in and drink palinka ..
FenTiger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th 2018, 7:52 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,052
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage proposal

Originally Posted by Gunnerwhite87 View Post


thank you for your reply! Much appreciated.

I plan to ask her her next Month and yes I am going to ask her parents. I know it will go a very long way. Palinka is a good idea although not drinkers I’m sure they will appreciate the sentiment.

Lets hope she says yes

If the future in-laws don't drink palinka then I would suggest asking your intended what would be best to take. (The standard would be palinka for him and flowers for her)

My now son-in-law (Hungarian) proposed to my daughter and then came to ask us.
My son and now daughter-in-law came to us and said 'we are pregnant and we will get married after the baby has been born' (they had been a couple for 8 years at that time)
Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement