Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Low-Cost Garden Fencing?

Low-Cost Garden Fencing?

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

male1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura about
Default Low-Cost Garden Fencing?

Hi all,

Recently we have bought a puppy, a cute little border terrier. Our intention was to put a fence around the garden so the little chap could run around in the garden without the risk of him running into other gardens or run out onto the nearby road.

We gave little thought to the cost of having a fence erected as we considered that since our garden isn't huge, then the cost of the fencing wouldn't be a concern. How wrong we were!

Before I continue I'll just explain that many people may suggest that we erect a fence ourselves, but we'll also need a gate, and since our intention is to have a metal pole + metal mesh fence, I'd have no idea how to make my own metal gate to fit in with the metal fencing!

So, we got a local chap to come and do a quote and we waited for the reply (expecting to receive a figure in the region of up to 200GBP (equivalent forints)). The actual quote however was about 700GBP!!!

We were now completely stumped by that very high figure and my fiancee (who is Hungarian), spent ages on the internet looking for local firms to try obtain a lower quote. After many, many Google searches she came up with nobody suitable.

We live about 25km West of Budapest, it's Martonvasar which is also close to Érd (about 7km).

Has anyone used anyone they can recommend to me please? Or are you an English person with these skills and access to the right materials to give us a quote yourself please?

Really stuck on this one as our budget certainly isn't in the 700GBP region. We aren't after a free job but 700GBP???

Thank you for any advice.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:17 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low-Cost Garden Fencing?

Hi, we are too far to do the work ourselves but if you can post the length of the fence I can give you an idea of how much it would cost.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

male1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura aboutmale1963 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi, we are too far to do the work ourselves but if you can post the length of the fence I can give you an idea of how much it would cost.
Thank you very much

I don't have the exact measurements right now but will de a quick measurement later today and post those dimensions. Thank you very much for replying so quickly (as usual!)
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rural Hungary,

I just quickly popped out and paced the length of the fencing area required - so not a 100% accurate figure but a reasonable estimate. The garden is a rectangle and only two sides need doing as a fence exists already on one side and our house is taking up the remaining fourth side.

So, the rough length of the two sides that need fencing is 25 metres. Then of course a metal gate would also need costing in.

I would be very interested to hear your figures even though distance means that you couldn't actually take on the job yourself.

Many thanks once again
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:38 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again, based on a 1m high, coated fence and gate, I would be estimating a price around 280-300 GBP with coated metal posts and slightly less if concrete posts are used.
Granted the closer to Budapest you are, the more expensive everything becomes but a difference of 400 GBP!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Hi again, based on a 1m high, coated fence and gate, I would be estimating a price around 280-300 GBP with coated metal posts and slightly less if concrete posts are used.
Granted the closer to Budapest you are, the more expensive everything becomes but a difference of 400 GBP!!!
Many thanks for your reply

Your own price guide is certainly different to the one we actually received from the guy who gave us the quote!!!!

Your prices are more in the region of what we first expected so the 700GBP figure really knocked us of our feet!

Thank you once again for your reply and we'll just have to keep on hunting for someone, but at least we know that our own price estimate and yours seem much more realistic.

Thank you
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:06 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

The chain link fencing I have seen in merchants yards it's about 30 quid for a roll. I think she said it was 25 or 30 metres, so not mega bucks, if you could purchase the fence it comes with wires to stretch from post to post, all you need then are posts and holes digging, if you are up to it.

The gate would probably be better fitted by a local guy, but again not rocket science put it between two posts. I hope you manage to try it yourself cheaper.

I have myself been shocked at prices for work being quoted in Hungary, especially when I was told Doctors only earn about 300 a month and properties are so cheap, I thought you could build a house for a few thousand quid, not a chance, your chimney would cost you that.

The satellite guy charged me 70 euros for 10 minutes work, with my own dish.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anonimouse
The chain link fencing I have seen in merchants yards it's about 30 quid for a roll. I think she said it was 25 or 30 metres, so not mega bucks, if you could purchase the fence it comes with wires to stretch from post to post, all you need then are posts and holes digging, if you are up to it.

The gate would probably be better fitted by a local guy, but again not rocket science put it between two posts. I hope you manage to try it yourself cheaper.

I have myself been shocked at prices for work being quoted in Hungary, especially when I was told Doctors only earn about 300 a month and properties are so cheap, I thought you could build a house for a few thousand quid, not a chance, your chimney would cost you that.

The satellite guy charged me 70 euros for 10 minutes work, with my own dish.
I completely agree that prices are a lot dearer than one might expect. I tend to compare the average Hungarian earnings with tradesmen charges and they just don't add up! I guess that many Hungarian's have to become DIY experts and do most jobs themselves, or perhaps have family or friends who happen to have the relevant skills.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by male1963
I completely agree that prices are a lot dearer than one might expect.
The prices you are being quoted are for non-Hungarians.
Then there are prices for returning Hungarians.
And again there are prices for native Hungarians
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:47 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by male1963
I completely agree that prices are a lot dearer than one might expect.
The price of materials also has much to do with it - they are more expensive here than many people think, especially wood!

Try getting a few more quotes as not everyone will try it on. We don't differentiate between Hungarian and English clients, the price is the same and there are other companies out there who do likewise - just a matter of finding them.

As anonimouse said, wouldn't doing it yourself be a possibility? I wasn't thinking quite literally yourself but perhaps buying in the fencing system, cement, ballast etc then paying someone local to fit it?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Doing the fence ourselves has of course been thought about (it's obvious after receiving the £700 quote that we'd think about doing it ourselves!)

We looked at the prices of the raw materials we'd need and as we ticked-off each one one the list we also started to realise that even doing it ourselves would be expensive due to the raw materials being expensive!

We'll give it some thought and we may have to be more crafty in finding either cheaper suppliers for raw materials or finding someone cheaper to do the job for us.

Just like a fence - I'll keep you posted! lol