Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Lake Balaton fish deaths

Lake Balaton fish deaths

Old Jun 26th 2014, 8:12 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lake Balaton fish deaths

A week or so ago, I read an article saying that Lake water levels were the highest and cleanest since the 1969's. Great I thought as the dropping water level had been a concern for many Hungarians we spoke to.
So if heavy metal pollution levels have dropped, what could be causing the recent increase in seasonal fish deaths?

Apparently, the total of removed fish is now well over 20,000. All very strange but in true Hungarian, waste not want not style, one reporter advised locals to get down to the lake and gather a certain type of fish - he even gave details on the best way to prepare the fish
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lake Balaton fish deaths

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Apparently, the total of removed fish is now well over 20,000. All very strange but in true Hungarian, waste not want not style, one reporter advised locals to get down to the lake and gather a certain type of fish - he even gave details on the best way to prepare the fish
That reporter must be crazy, you NEVER eat animals that have died of natural causes unless you absolutely know the reason for the demise and even then if you don't know how long ago the death occurred you have know way of knowing how fresh or otherwise the animal is. If the fish died of poisoning for example you would also be consuming the poison. Sick and diseased animals or fish are not allowed to enter the food chain.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:30 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
That reporter must be crazy, you NEVER eat animals that have died of natural causes unless you absolutely know the reason for the demise and even then if you don't know how long ago the death occurred you have know way of knowing how fresh or otherwise the animal is. If the fish died of poisoning for example you would also be consuming the poison. Sick and diseased animals or fish are not allowed to enter the food chain.
Exactly what I thought, it might have been his sense of humour or lost in translation It specifically mentioned one species, which is relatively new to the Lake.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Some people eat road kill. I have never tried it but recall when I was quite small a pheasant hit our car and my father put it in the boot and gave it to the relatives we were visiting. They didn't flinch. No idea whether they ate it.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Some people eat road kill. I have never tried it but recall when I was quite small a pheasant hit our car and my father put it in the boot and gave it to the relatives we were visiting. They didn't flinch. No idea whether they ate it.
No problem with road kill - this is not natural causes. I have eaten quite several pheasants that I have hit and even a small deer that jumped in front of my car (when I was living in the UK) although the value of the venison did not cover the cost of the side light etc.! There don't seem to be many pheasants in Hungary so I haven't had one yet, but in the UK we were near a pheasant shoot so suicidal pheasants were not uncommon
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:37 am
I bite my thumb at thee

We drive the "suicide run" four times a day and so far I have only taken the end off a squirrels tail If you eat road kill, you would be in paradise here as you could easily stock the freezer - or do as the neighbours do and shoot them.
Hope the venison was worth it Peter Agree that it's different to sick animals, so long as you check the kill is fairly fresh, different story with a sick animal - I have a tale about a sick pig and not discovering it had been sick until I cooked it but it's a bit gross for on here........
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we are sometimes critical of how some Hungarians treat animals but they don't seem to do anything as obscene as rearing pheasants for sports shooting. You might just as well go shooting chickens.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
No problem with road kill - this is not natural causes. I have eaten quite several pheasants that I have hit and even a small deer that jumped in front of my car (when I was living in the UK) although the value of the venison did not cover the cost of the side light etc.! There don't seem to be many pheasants in Hungary so I haven't had one yet, but in the UK we were near a pheasant shoot so suicidal pheasants were not uncommon
Strange, our Viszla seems to find a pheasant nearly every day on our walks in the local forest. If only we had a gun!!!

Anyone know why so many fish have died this year??
Old Jun 27th 2014, 11:18 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by cathyg
Strange, our Viszla seems to find a pheasant nearly every day on our walks in the local forest. If only we had a gun!!!

We have a few round our way though not as many as in the UK.
Jury still seems to be out on the cause, have you tried searching google for "mass fish deaths" apparently about 7 or 8 in the past month and some of the conspiracy theories are way out there!
What's interesting is that the deaths seem to have started at the same time as the May storms though that could just be coincidental.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Yes, we are sometimes critical of how some Hungarians treat animals but they don't seem to do anything as obscene as rearing pheasants for sports shooting. You might just as well go shooting chickens.
I disagree, the hunters bait the same spot time after time to attract deer and boar and then sit 50-100 metres away and shoot them when they come to feed :/ Now that really is taking the p...
I'm not against hunting at all and have been out with hunters several times but I believe in shooting for use, not sport. Most of the hunters that I know only shoot for sport and happily kill just for the fun of killing. That I don't agree with but hey, we're all different and I accept their choices, just as I hope that they accept mine
Old Jun 29th 2014, 8:46 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by cathyg
They seem to be putting it down to a combination of factors including a virus and the fluctuations in temperature/weather.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Found this about mass fish deaths in Lake Balaton. It dates back to 2000. Wonder if there's been any changes since.
Effect of the pesticide Deltamethrin on the ... [Neurotoxicology. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

Also found this.
http://budapestbeacon.com/news-in-br...-balaton-swim/
Old Jul 4th 2014, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Hungary Hippo is an unknown quantity at this point

Not really connected but probably not worthy of its own thread either - the BBC website has reported a case of anthrax in some illegally slaughtered Hungarian beef. Which is nice

BBC News - Deadly anthrax disease 'discovered in Hungarian beef'
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hungary Hippo
Not really connected but probably not worthy of its own thread either - the BBC website has reported a case of anthrax in some illegally slaughtered Hungarian beef. Which is nice

BBC News - Deadly anthrax disease 'discovered in Hungarian beef'
I'd be quite worried about the above if the fish had been eating beef!

I will be somewhere near the River Tisza this August visiting friends of relatives who came over here last April. Gulp ..... think I will avoid both fish and beef at the planned BBQ!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 3:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'd be quite worried about the above if the fish had been eating beef!

I will be somewhere near the River Tisza this August visiting friends of relatives who came over here last April. Gulp ..... think I will avoid both fish and beef at the planned BBQ!
Noooo I now have a mental image of cattle nibbling pike perch... You might just have cracked the case Fen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.