Lake Balaton

Old Jan 7th 2011, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lake Balaton

I was just reading a blog of someones sailing holiday on lake Balaton. He mentions having to switch off the engine and rely on sails after leaving the harbour. Are there restrictions on the use of motor power on the lake? I don't sail myself but my brother does so when I'm installed I will probably invite him and his family over for a sailing holiday.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:08 am
Just Joined

davidszigliget is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lake Balaton

There are restrictions on using petrol/diesel power - basically you aren't supposed to. Its to help the maintenance of water quality. Only the ferries and police (and a few other specially permitted groups can) so the comment is correct. Inboard motors are often electric and there are electric outboards in use too. However, people do motor about and although the police are in evidence from time to time I've never seen anyone stopped. So really, just using common sense seems to be OK
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Funnily enough I have seen people stopped by the Water police in Siofok. They just got a dressing down though but then they were obviously loaded and who knows what went on unseen.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the relies. I emailed a marine engineer friend in New Zealand to ask him about electric outboard motors. His reply may be of interest to others so I will copy it here:

"Now NZ never imported many electric outboards. Though I sold about 5 or 6 while in business. Mercury did loan me several to evaluate to see if suitable in our part of the world. Which at the time proved not suitable.

Those that people did buy however they bought on price & not at all what was best suited for the boat it was being used on. You don't say yourself what length, type or boat style this motor type is to be used on.
Often they were used in a tidal river condition with a flow of 4 to 5 knots. What use is a motor too small be it petrol or electric if it only has a top speed of 3 to 4 knots. If a wind comes up against them also they are in trouble. Simply they have bought on price & not safety & not suitable for the boat at all.

However if you did select the correct thrust motor for what is most suitable for the boat & you do procure the correct capacity deep cycle battery or batteries, this could well give you 2 to 4 hrs cruising. Also the thrust to get home in sudden rough conditions.

These motors don't just stop going like a cranking battery that suddenly refuses to start a car engine. They do have a longer reserve as you will know.

One thing I do know these motors will pull a far bigger load than they will push. However the damage done in shallows or beaching with a puller motor is far more costly than a transom pusher motor. This tends to lift on striking underwater obstacles. Yes a good battery monitor is a must & once you get to know it can be just like a fuel gauge

Phil you will notice on many American brochures of outboards that the trolling motor is more often an electric one mounted at the Bow . This is because the skipper has far better control of the boat fishing across river mouths & tricky water

Does Lake Balaton ban all petrol outboards or just two strokes. For instance do they ban also the new low emission 4 stroke outboards?.These would give you a far wider cruising range.

One advantage of the electric motor however is the peace & tranquility when under way. Its just sheer bliss.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------