Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Importing older car question

Importing older car question

Old May 14th 2020, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing older car question

I am looking into registering my older car here, partly because I like my car but also the cost of registering it here is not going to be a great deal different to the cost of driving it back to the UK ! The question relates to the technical test that it would need to go through ...
​​​​​​"Only a car which meets European standards can pass the technical test and be imported into Hungary. The current environment standard is the Euro 4 and the car must have a catalytic converter."
It does have a catalytic converter but as it is a 2003 model, it is classed as a Euro 3 not Euro 4 .... so the question is, would that automatically mean that it would not meet the requirements of the technical test ?
I'm also struggling to find a calculator to find out the cost of registering it here as they all seem to have disappeared now ... the last time I looked, a couple of years ago, the cost was around £300 but would like to get an up to date figure ....
Old May 14th 2020, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing older car question

See
https://kalkulatorlap.hu/regisztraci...alkulator.html
for the registration tax calculator.
or google
auto regisztracios ado kalkulator
for more
Since the calculators allows you to enter a car under Euro 4 standard I can only assume that a Euro 3 is acceptable.
Old May 14th 2020, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
See
https://kalkulatorlap.hu/regisztraci...alkulator.html
for the registration tax calculator.
or google
auto regisztracios ado kalkulator
for more
Since the calculators allows you to enter a car under Euro 4 standard I can only assume that a Euro 3 is acceptable.
Many thanks Peter ... I will take a look !!
Well, unless I have entered the "environment department 11" incorrectly, as I couldn't make much sense of it, it would seem that the price for registering it here has gone up significantly with age ... the price now comes out at £452 which makes it not really economically viable ...

Last edited by hobgoblins; May 14th 2020 at 1:59 pm. Reason: extra info
Old May 14th 2020, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The environment department I presume you entered 4 alatt (under 4) which would be the worst (most expensive) category. The option of registering the car here is one of personal choice. If you have owned the car from new or for a long time and the mileage is low so you know the history, then the cost of replacement - unless with new - will carry a risk that has to be taken into account. The secondhand car market here is IMO fraught with dangers and sharks. Cars are regularly 'clocked' and faults hidden. If you buy from a dealer then you get a 3 month warranty by law on the major components. If you don't register it here then you still have the problem of doing something with it - which will probably mean scrapping it here or driving it back to the UK to sell either of which will have a cost (= loss). You have probably already realised that the cost of a secondhand car here is higher than the UK - except yours because it has no papers and the steering wheel is on the wrong side (I presume) so replacing your car like for like will cost more than in the UK.
Old May 14th 2020, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The environment department I presume you entered 4 alatt (under 4) which would be the worst (most expensive) category.
I left it set to "11 and above" as I wasn't too sure what to put in there ...

Last edited by hobgoblins; May 14th 2020 at 3:25 pm. Reason: photo added
Old May 14th 2020, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Old May 14th 2020, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

The environmental department is the category of the engine e.g. a 0 is a 4 stroke engine without a catalytic converter, a 4 is a 4 stroke engine with a 'cat' and fuel metering to Euro II standard. As far as I can see the more environmentally friendly the car the higher the number.
The start of the registration procedure is when you apply for registration - so that date would be e.g. 2020 - 6 if you start the procedure in June.
Using the under 4 category and the procedure start date of 2020 June your car gets a tax of 243k huf,

The way the tax works (I think) is that there is a tax that increases with the worsening engine types and then the tax is reduced by an age factor age to give the tax payable.
Old May 14th 2020, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Peter ... that's even worse and is only £400 less than I paid for the car ... however ... if I put "6" into the environment department part of the calculator which says "Euro 3" ... which mine is ... then it comes out at about £300 ... which is what it was when I tried it a couple of years ago ... very confusing !!

Last edited by hobgoblins; May 14th 2020 at 6:13 pm. Reason: added info
Old May 14th 2020, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is not so much about what you paid for the car (in a different market place) but rather the cost of replacement and the devil you know.