Reload this Page >

Hungarian Citizenship

Hungarian Citizenship

Old Jul 28th 2023, 9:25 am
Just Joined

UKinMiskolc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hungarian Citizenship

Hi Everyone!

Can someone tell me what the length of time you need to reside in the country until you are eligible for citizenship? Also, how long does the process take? UK national, living here since Sept 2016, so almost 7 years. I have permanent residency through the brexit agreement

Thanks for the help
Old Jul 28th 2023, 12:00 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian Citizenship

Originally Posted by UKinMiskolc
Hi Everyone!

Can someone tell me what the length of time you need to reside in the country until you are eligible for citizenship? Also, how long does the process take? UK national, living here since Sept 2016, so almost 7 years. I have permanent residency through the brexit agreement

Thanks for the help
Unless you are married to a Hungarian citizen it takes 8 years of legal residence. You also must be proficient in the Hungarian language enough to pass a written test. I am not sure how long the process takes but a neighbour of mine recently applied (He is a German Citizen and has been waiting already 5 months. Good Luck to you.
Old Jul 28th 2023, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

UKinMiskolc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. This is what I thought. I need to start intensive language study I think I may have found a way to start the process earlier though. My son has spent over 5 years here and is eligible for citizenship. As parents of a Hungarian citizen it appears i only need to be here for 3 years before I can apply
Old Aug 2nd 2023, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Does Hungary allow dual citizenship?

I've heard that there were also issues with Hungarians facing tighter regulations when wanting to travel to the US? No ESTA for multiple visits, just one visit.

Brexit or not, I wouldn't swap Hungarian to British, if I had a permanent visa for Hungary.
Old Aug 2nd 2023, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Does Hungary allow dual citizenship?.
Yes
Brexit or not, I wouldn't swap Hungarian to British, if I had a permanent visa for Hungary.
As a UK citizen I applied for (and got) Hungarian citizenship because of Brexit. I now have dual citizenship.
Old Aug 2nd 2023, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

farka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Yes

As a UK citizen I applied for (and got) Hungarian citizenship because of Brexit. I now have dual citizenship.
-The best of both worlds-
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Yes

Makes life easier within the EU and with life in Hungary, I take it.

However I wouldn't use the Hungarian passport for travels to the US.
The US have a problem with Orban as he naturalized a large number of people who's identity wans't proppery vetted. Thus the reaction of the US to impose restrictions on Hungarians wanting to travel to the US.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Makes life easier within the EU and with life in Hungary, I take it.
Yes and to be honest my UK passport ran out just after I got my Hungarian citizenship so I got a Hungarian passport - for free (as an OAP) and it took all of half an hour in the local office and I got it about 1 week later. Contrast that with getting a new UK passport - I haven't bothered with a new UK one yet and last time I went to the UK I used my Hungarian passport without problems.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Hungary Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Wish me luck guys as I applied for Hungarian citizenship in May - they said 6 months' wait and it seems to be true - married to Hungarian babe 23 years
Old Sep 30th 2023, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Hungary Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

I might add - fill in A4 page in Hungarian in front of invigilator.

Then get a 20 minute language test on the mobile.
Old Nov 3rd 2023, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hungary Boy
Wish me luck guys as I applied for Hungarian citizenship in May - they said 6 months' wait and it seems to be true - married to Hungarian babe 23 years
Is your marriage registered in Hungary? I married my Hungarian wife in 2007 In UK. When she renewed her pass port with new surname we also registered our marriage in Hungary so got a Hungarian marriage certificate too.
Old Feb 12th 2024, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hungary Boy
Have you heard anything back yet? I've had Hungarian residency for over 8 years, so I am thinking of applying for citizenship. Would be nice to know the process and what documentation is required. .