Hungarian Banks

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hungarian Banks

My wife told me over the weekend her sister wanted to set up a bank account in the UK. Her husband had transferred alot of his savings to a Swiss bank account because he was concerned at the state of the Hungarian banks. I have not seen anything in the media about any serious problems Hungarian banks were having.

Unfortunately to set up a UK bank account you need to be a resident here with a UK address. Correct?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hungarian Banks

That is correct.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the big banks operating in Hungary are not actually based here. Also mass panic withdrawals from Hungarian banks due to concerns about their potential collapse will be a self fulfilling prophesy.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:13 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
My wife told me over the weekend her sister wanted to set up a bank account in the UK. Her husband had transferred alot of his savings to a Swiss bank account because he was concerned at the state of the Hungarian banks. I have not seen anything in the media about any serious problems Hungarian banks were having.

Unfortunately to set up a UK bank account you need to be a resident here with a UK address. Correct?
Hi Fen, to my knowledge there was never any concern over banks collapsing - had savings continued to be withdrawn or transferred then this might have become a concern but that isn't what started the stampede to the banks.
As I understand it, people including, I'm assuming, your sister-in-laws husband, withdrew and transferred savings for two reasons. Firstly, they were concerned that their savings might be lost due to the changes relating to the central bank in the new constitution. Coming not long after the nationalisation of the private pension funds, the concern was understandable but in my opinion, unfounded(I won't droan on about the difference) and now that Orban has agreed to abandon his plan to merge the central bank and PSZAF hopefully people will feel reassured that there is no immediate danger of the state taking hold of their savings.
Secondly, over the past 12 months or so, the forint has been losing value and due to recent concerns and events there was quite a dramatic drop in value earlier this month. Subsequently, the cumulative effect of the rumours, protests in Budapest, recent history and the drop in the forint was to create panic and thus the withdrawals and transfers. If the forint continues to strengthen as it is currently, this will again hopefully allay peoples fears.

Regards UK banks, as Klarika says, you do need a UK address - what about an offshore account?

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Jan 23rd 2012 at 3:22 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Any recommendation for online HUF accounts please? Are there any that are online & free like in the UK, myself I am not aware of any.
Thanks.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

There is always some sort of promotion going on, but free banking (there are exceptions) can be obtained if you become a 'Premium' customer. This entails keeping a minimum amount of money in your account at all times. I think it is about 7 million forint, regardless of what sort of account it is in, i.e. current, savings or bond. I expect conditions will vary for each bank, but the principle is the same. There is also an advantage that you are given priority when in the bank without waiting in line.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by bronty
There is always some sort of promotion going on, but free banking (there are exceptions) can be obtained if you become a 'Premium' customer. This entails keeping a minimum amount of money in your account at all times. I think it is about 7 million forint, regardless of what sort of account it is in, i.e. current, savings or bond. I expect conditions will vary for each bank, but the principle is the same. There is also an advantage that you are given priority when in the bank without waiting in line.
A rather large amount to keep in HUF!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no basis for comparison with other Hungarian banks, but I'm quite happy with K&H. It isn't free but the charges are trivial, e.g. 50 Forint for a direct debit transaction (this is for a very basic HUF account, no debit card). They have online banking; they didn't want to give it to me because my Hungarian was very rudimentary when I opened the account (slightly less rudimentary now), but if I'd insisted I expect I'd have got it. My bank statements are sent to me in Germany and are in German. English may be possible but I don't know. You don't have to be a resident, or at least you didn't when I opened the account, in 2005.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Watchpost
I have no basis for comparison with other Hungarian banks, but I'm quite happy with K&H. It isn't free but the charges are trivial, e.g. 50 Forint for a direct debit transaction (this is for a very basic HUF account, no debit card). They have online banking; they didn't want to give it to me because my Hungarian was very rudimentary when I opened the account (slightly less rudimentary now), but if I'd insisted I expect I'd have got it. My bank statements are sent to me in Germany and are in German. English may be possible but I don't know. You don't have to be a resident, or at least you didn't when I opened the account, in 2005.
Thanks for that. Link to English version https://www.kh.hu/publish/kh/en/products_services.html