Hungarian Banks

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 6:56 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,780
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hungarian Banks

My wife told me over the weekend her sister wanted to set up a bank account in the UK. Her husband had transferred alot of his savings to a Swiss bank account because he was concerned at the state of the Hungarian banks. I have not seen anything in the media about any serious problems Hungarian banks were having.

Unfortunately to set up a UK bank account you need to be a resident here with a UK address. Correct?
FenTiger is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:35 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 291
klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hungarian Banks

That is correct.
klarika is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 11:01 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
fidobsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: North east Croatia
Posts: 1,667
fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian Banks

Most of the big banks operating in Hungary are not actually based here. Also mass panic withdrawals from Hungarian banks due to concerns about their potential collapse will be a self fulfilling prophesy.
fidobsa is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:13 pm
  #4  
I bite my thumb at thee
 
Rural Hungary's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,479
Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungarian Banks

Originally Posted by FenTiger
My wife told me over the weekend her sister wanted to set up a bank account in the UK. Her husband had transferred alot of his savings to a Swiss bank account because he was concerned at the state of the Hungarian banks. I have not seen anything in the media about any serious problems Hungarian banks were having.

Unfortunately to set up a UK bank account you need to be a resident here with a UK address. Correct?
Hi Fen, to my knowledge there was never any concern over banks collapsing - had savings continued to be withdrawn or transferred then this might have become a concern but that isn't what started the stampede to the banks.
As I understand it, people including, I'm assuming, your sister-in-laws husband, withdrew and transferred savings for two reasons. Firstly, they were concerned that their savings might be lost due to the changes relating to the central bank in the new constitution. Coming not long after the nationalisation of the private pension funds, the concern was understandable but in my opinion, unfounded(I won't droan on about the difference) and now that Orban has agreed to abandon his plan to merge the central bank and PSZAF hopefully people will feel reassured that there is no immediate danger of the state taking hold of their savings.
Secondly, over the past 12 months or so, the forint has been losing value and due to recent concerns and events there was quite a dramatic drop in value earlier this month. Subsequently, the cumulative effect of the rumours, protests in Budapest, recent history and the drop in the forint was to create panic and thus the withdrawals and transfers. If the forint continues to strengthen as it is currently, this will again hopefully allay peoples fears.


Regards UK banks, as Klarika says, you do need a UK address - what about an offshore account?

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Jan 23rd 2012 at 3:22 pm.
Rural Hungary is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:18 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 220
OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Re: Hungarian Banks

Any recommendation for online HUF accounts please? Are there any that are online & free like in the UK, myself I am not aware of any.
Thanks.
OGSG is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:46 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 188
bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hungarian Banks

There is always some sort of promotion going on, but free banking (there are exceptions) can be obtained if you become a 'Premium' customer. This entails keeping a minimum amount of money in your account at all times. I think it is about 7 million forint, regardless of what sort of account it is in, i.e. current, savings or bond. I expect conditions will vary for each bank, but the principle is the same. There is also an advantage that you are given priority when in the bank without waiting in line.
bronty is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2012, 5:52 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 220
OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Re: Hungarian Banks

Originally Posted by bronty
There is always some sort of promotion going on, but free banking (there are exceptions) can be obtained if you become a 'Premium' customer. This entails keeping a minimum amount of money in your account at all times. I think it is about 7 million forint, regardless of what sort of account it is in, i.e. current, savings or bond. I expect conditions will vary for each bank, but the principle is the same. There is also an advantage that you are given priority when in the bank without waiting in line.
A rather large amount to keep in HUF!
OGSG is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:31 pm
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hungarian Banks

I have no basis for comparison with other Hungarian banks, but I'm quite happy with K&H. It isn't free but the charges are trivial, e.g. 50 Forint for a direct debit transaction (this is for a very basic HUF account, no debit card). They have online banking; they didn't want to give it to me because my Hungarian was very rudimentary when I opened the account (slightly less rudimentary now), but if I'd insisted I expect I'd have got it. My bank statements are sent to me in Germany and are in German. English may be possible but I don't know. You don't have to be a resident, or at least you didn't when I opened the account, in 2005.
scrubbedexpat0105 is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2012, 12:02 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 220
OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Re: Hungarian Banks

Originally Posted by Watchpost
I have no basis for comparison with other Hungarian banks, but I'm quite happy with K&H. It isn't free but the charges are trivial, e.g. 50 Forint for a direct debit transaction (this is for a very basic HUF account, no debit card). They have online banking; they didn't want to give it to me because my Hungarian was very rudimentary when I opened the account (slightly less rudimentary now), but if I'd insisted I expect I'd have got it. My bank statements are sent to me in Germany and are in German. English may be possible but I don't know. You don't have to be a resident, or at least you didn't when I opened the account, in 2005.
Thanks for that. Link to English version https://www.kh.hu/publish/kh/en/products_services.html
OGSG is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.