Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

How's the snow for you?

How's the snow for you?

Reply

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 10:29 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 369
jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How's the snow for you?

Finally easing off here, still able to get the car out just slowly...... Been to the local town and back at a nice steady 50 km/h and it was really busy with cars, vans and lorries despite the uncleared roads.....

Have to drive to the UK over the weekend.Hopefully will miss the worst of it. Sadly I have to go now as there are things that need sorting out quickly.

THe motorways will all be cleared by tomorrow? Won't they?
jetsam1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:36 am
  #2  
it's not true!
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 2,834
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Originally Posted by jetsam1 View Post
Finally easing off here, still able to get the car out just slowly...... Been to the local town and back at a nice steady 50 km/h and it was really busy with cars, vans and lorries despite the uncleared roads.....

Have to drive to the UK over the weekend.Hopefully will miss the worst of it. Sadly I have to go now as there are things that need sorting out quickly.

THe motorways will all be cleared by tomorrow? Won't they?
Marvellous here in the city, all roads & pavements clear (I need a snug emoji!).
Hope you will be ok in the UK...
Expatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:39 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 369
jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Marvellous here in the city, all roads & pavements clear (I need a snug emoji!).
Hope you will be ok in the UK...
Smug metropolitan elite with your cleared roads and pavements! Pavements I say!! Not like us rural salt of the earth types....

Forecast is alright through Germany etc so think I will just miss the worst! I have to go up to Scotland on Monday morning so hopefully by then the melt will be on and the roads will have been gritted. I know I will be the only vehicle around with winter tires!!!
jetsam1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:43 am
  #4  
it's not true!
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 2,834
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Originally Posted by jetsam1 View Post
Smug metropolitan elite with your cleared roads and pavements! Pavements I say!! Not like us rural salt of the earth types....
Elite, that's why we say felett not fölött like you bumpkins
Expatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 12:42 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,052
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Originally Posted by jetsam1 View Post
Forecast is alright through Germany etc so think I will just miss the worst! I have to go up to Scotland on Monday morning so hopefully by then the melt will be on and the roads will have been gritted. I know I will be the only vehicle around with winter tires!!!
Driving from here to Scotland ?? Isn't it easier to fly and hire a car when you get there? (and maybe cheaper)
Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 12:49 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 369
jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post
Driving from here to Scotland ?? Isn't it easier to fly and hire a car when you get there? (and maybe cheaper)
I have a house to clear in Yorkshire and there is paperwork in storage that I am not going to put on the back of a lorry........ It needs to be kept a little longer just in case.

I make time to visit relations in Scotland as well and travelling around the UK is cheaper by car than public transport!!! Will have a fair bit of stuff to bring back so one run is required. It's not so bad really, done it plenty of times before. Stop off in Nuremburg half way and then the ferry. I am taking some bits and pieces over to sell on too.

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.........
jetsam1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 1:41 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Lincolnshire Hungary Lovasbereny
Posts: 550
digger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Originally Posted by jetsam1 View Post
I have a house to clear in Yorkshire and there is paperwork in storage that I am not going to put on the back of a lorry........ It needs to be kept a little longer just in case.

I make time to visit relations in Scotland as well and travelling around the UK is cheaper by car than public transport!!! Will have a fair bit of stuff to bring back so one run is required. It's not so bad really, done it plenty of times before. Stop off in Nuremburg half way and then the ferry. I am taking some bits and pieces over to sell on too.

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.........
I am traveling Saturday 3rd and Stopping south of Frankfurt 6 hr drive from landing by Ferry in IBIS Budget Wiesbaden 42 eur a night next day 10 drive down to my place I use samr hotel many Times ans good 2km of A3 digger47
digger47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 1:44 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 369
jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Originally Posted by digger47 View Post
I am traveling Saturday 3rd and Stopping south of Frankfurt 6 hr drive from landing by Ferry in IBIS Budget Wiesbaden 42 eur a night next day 10 drive down to my place I use samr hotel many Times ans good 2km of A3 digger47
I have a regular stop in Nuremburg, nice and quiet but 5 mins from the city center if I feel like a walk. Means the longer stretch is the first stretch, reduces the chances of missing the ferry!

So far no issues other then the motorway falling apart around Tatabanya!!
jetsam1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 2:13 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Lincolnshire Hungary Lovasbereny
Posts: 550
digger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond reputedigger47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Originally Posted by jetsam1 View Post
I have a regular stop in Nuremburg, nice and quiet but 5 mins from the city center if I feel like a walk. Means the longer stretch is the first stretch, reduces the chances of missing the ferry!

So far no issues other then the motorway falling apart around Tatabanya!!
I cut of before then to Szekesfehervar digger47

Last edited by digger47; Mar 2nd 2018 at 2:16 pm.
digger47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:56 pm
  #10  
it's not true!
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 2,834
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

It was alright for Boris Johnson, apparently!

Fürdőnadrágban futott a Margitszigeten a brit külügyminiszter
Expatrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:14 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2015
Location: Near the Black Forest and near the Balaton
Posts: 514
wolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nice
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

My sister who lives near Gatwick airport (her English husband had to fly a lot ...) reported that on Monday people were shopping like crazy - expecting the world to end ...
And in the Guardian I've seen stories about people spending a dozen hours in their cars on the motorway - in Scotland and southern France even!

Here near the Balaton it started to rain ice right now again ...
wolfi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:24 pm
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 369
jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
My sister who lives near Gatwick airport (her English husband had to fly a lot ...) reported that on Monday people were shopping like crazy - expecting the world to end ...
And in the Guardian I've seen stories about people spending a dozen hours in their cars on the motorway - in Scotland and southern France even!

Here near the Balaton it started to rain ice right now again ...
I've heard the main roads are fine, gritted and clear. Forecast for Austria and Germany seems to be fine. Been keeping an eye on the forecasts today and it seems that I should be ok, most of the snow will probably be gone in the UK by Monday!
jetsam1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:35 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2015
Location: Near the Black Forest and near the Balaton
Posts: 514
wolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nice
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Jetsam, we're with you! Wish you all the best!

Anyway, the Austrians and the Southern Germans (like me ...) are used to this kind of weather - just listen to the radio, because you never know ...

A few days ago in one of the old tunnels on the A8 stretch between Stuttgart and Ulm (up the Alb, not the Alps ...) a lorry burnt down - that took a long long time to clear up.
wolfi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:39 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 369
jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
Jetsam, we're with you! Wish you all the best!

Anyway, the Austrians and the Southern Germans (like me ...) are used to this kind of weather - just listen to the radio, because you never know ...

A few days ago in one of the old tunnels on the A8 stretch between Stuttgart and Ulm (up the Alb, not the Alps ...) a lorry burnt down - that took a long long time to clear up.
I've done the drive in the winter with snow everywhere before!! They are pretty effective at getting everything cleared up though. I think my German is just about good enough to order a beer but not to deal with radio traffic reports!!! I don't let the fuel tank get below half way too. Just in case.....

Generally I think if you can get past Vienna at a reasonable time your fine. Then just straight up to Nuremburg via Passau. Nice and hilly!

Going to have plenty of drinks and food in the car and ex-Polish army woolen blankets just in case! They are amazing........
jetsam1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:53 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2015
Location: Near the Black Forest and near the Balaton
Posts: 514
wolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nice
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Good idea re the gas!

And you surely know already that gas is horribly expensive on the motorways - and cheaper in Austria generally.
I sometimes drive via Passau and then leave the Autobahn in Stuben for Schärding wher you find many gas stations - one near the Aldi, fully automatic, pay by card only ...
Good luck and have a safe trip!
PS:
Those hills south of Passau are quite steep, but the snow service should be ok and afaik the roadworks are essentially finished there.
wolfi is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement