Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

House Hunting Questions

House Hunting Questions

Old Aug 8th 2023, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Hunting Questions

Originally Posted by FenTiger
One thing I forgot to mention was the sellers of the property I bought wanted each owners share to be paid separately. That was 50% to the mother and the balance split equally between the two daughters. I've no idea if this is standard practice. Had there been four or five siblings I wouldn't be very happy!
If you are a cash buyer you are in a strong position compared to someone who needs to get a mortgage.

One property we were interested in ended up in a bidding war between three parties. I was only prepared to pay so much and left the other two to fight it out.
That's normal due to the inheritance laws they have in Hungary which is similar in many European countries such a France and Spain for example..

https://www.lawyershungary.com/inher...%20descendants.

Old Aug 11th 2023, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

The purchase process has changed a bit for UK citizens (ie non EU post brexit), as part of the purchase process your lawyer will make an application for approval for the purchase with the local authority. It takes 4 to 6 weeks, there is a small fee about the equivalent of 50 pounds. It is a bit unclear what they check but for a normal property it is probably a rubber stamp. If you a buying some kind of historical property etc, it may get more scrutiny.
I live at the western end of Balaton, near Keszthely. Anywhere new to the lake is in high demand with the EU buyers so the prices are high, for example Cserszegtomaj which has bigger land sizes, is still very expensive, 300k plus euros, I did not notice if you had a budget, but having driven through Zala county to Zalaegerszeg it is beautiful rolling country side with plenty of wooded areas and smaller villages. But I am sure you will have a good look around when you visit.
Old Aug 13th 2023, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecurb
Anywhere new to the lake is in high demand with the EU buyers so the prices are high, for example Cserszegtomaj which has bigger land sizes, is still very expensive, 300k plus euros
😮 a few days ago I saw a property for sale (kastely) in the north, in good condition, not needing renovation, 30 bedrooms, 8 (I think) bathrooms, 3.5ha for 99,000,000ft.
It depends what you want and where. There are also plenty of cheap farm houses further south.
Old Aug 13th 2023, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

A selection of property for sale in the Balaton area.

https://www.hungarianhousesforsale.c...balaton-houses
Old Aug 14th 2023, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
A selection of property for sale in the Balaton area.

https://www.hungarianhousesforsale.c...balaton-houses
There are some great, well priced houses on there.
It's crazy how the house prices have rocketed here in Bükkszék in the last 3 or 4 years. Unfortunately, most are being bought as second homes or holiday lets which is not great for the local economy and people who live here permanently.

Last edited by PaulinEger; Aug 14th 2023 at 4:28 am.
Old Aug 14th 2023, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
There are some great, well priced houses on there.
It's crazy how the house prices have rocketed here in Bükkszék in the last 3 or 4 years. Unfortunately, most are being bought as second homes or holiday lets which is not great for the local economy and people who live here permanently.
It's very sad if houses are being bought as second homes because it means building more new houses for locals. I was born in Peterborough and it was chosen as an area for development. The countryside used to start where my primary school was. No more .....
In 50 years time I won't be surprised if Mályi merges with Nyekladhaza to become a new town!
Old Aug 14th 2023, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FenTiger
It's very sad if houses are being bought as second homes because it means building more new houses for locals. I was born in Peterborough and it was chosen as an area for development. The countryside used to start where my primary school was. No more .....
In 50 years time I won't be surprised if Mályi merges with Nyekladhaza to become a new town!
The population of Hungary is on the decline, especially in areas like Northern Hungary. Personally I would rather see the houses in my small village being bought as holiday homes than left to fall into such a state of disrepair that they're uninhabitable.

https://telex.hu/english/2023/03/10/...s-depopulation