Hi Everyone :o)

Old Aug 13th 2011, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Chicchoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi Everyone :o)

Hi, I am new here, have be lurking and reading though all the old posts lol
We (my family and I) are planning on coming over to Hungary this year, this will be are first time, we are going to have a look but not 100% that we may buy a holiday home here, or land that we may-beable to hold on too, camp and then and build at a later date. We are are a large family with a lot of children and a great dane, we will be looking for some where out in the sticks but close to a village if we need to go to the shops and meet people, and if we go ahead with it will be where my husband and myself would like to retire in about 15 years time.
We dont have alot of money around about the 10000/15000 ish. Could anyone suggest a good safe more than anything area please?
I look forward to hearing and talking to you.
Thanks
Carla
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:28 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi Everyone :o)

Hi Carla and welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your trip to Hungary and I'm sure the community on here will help you as much as possible.

Regards area, it really depends on what you are looking for. Near the lake, your budget won't stretch very far. However, if you are not looking to be in a touristy area, the Zala hills area between Lenti and Letenye offers stunning scenery, spas, lakes and a woodland railway. The area has many German, Austrian and Slovenian residents/holiday home owners but is relatively unknown to the British (though there is a growing community, we personally know of 4 resident British owners in the area and several holiday home owners). In this area, you can buy a 1 bed property with land for renovation from around 5,000 GBP or a fully renovated house from 16,000 GBP.
Closer to the lake, with your budget, you would be looking at a village similar to ours, rural but within driving distance of the main resorts and Lake Balaton. In villages such as these, you are looking at 7-10,000 GBP for a renovation project and 25-35,000 for a renovated property.

There are very few properties which are not in a village in Hungary, so you are unlikely to find a cottage say 1/2km from the village. In the more rural villages, there does seem to be more space and so the properties aren't as close together and don't have a claustrophobic feeling to them as some Hungarian villages do - this doesn't bother everybody but we personally wanted something with space and views around the property.

The Gyors region has some nice towns but is very flat - if this doesn't bother you it might be worth considering. Property tends to be slightly more expensive though and few (if any) Brits in the area. The Papa area is lovely but again, slightly more expensive.

I hope this helps and feel free to PM me should you need any help whilst using the forum or if you have any questions