Hello!

Old Oct 1st 2013, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Duffy Haz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello!

Hi, just thought i would drop in and say hello!
Only just come across the forum and really found it most helpful and also it confirms much of my feelings and thoughts on having a property in rural Hungary - so thanks - in a positive way!
I have had a little house in Bolho for the last 7 years and really love going down there whenever i can, the village and its inhabitants have made me very welcome and cannot do enough for me.
By coincidence i bought the house at the same time as another uk couple who have since become good friends, they are now permanent residents, and in total there are now five british houses in the village.Please do not think this is little England as all the expats get involved locally and embrace the culture.
Anyway i am starting to bore you now - so i wish all the forum members the best of luck and maybe see you down there some time - Sean
Old Oct 1st 2013, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

gcroft is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello!

Originally Posted by Duffy Haz
Hi, just thought i would drop in and say hello!
Only just come across the forum and really found it most helpful and also it confirms much of my feelings and thoughts on having a property in rural Hungary - so thanks - in a positive way!
I have had a little house in Bolho for the last 7 years and really love going down there whenever i can, the village and its inhabitants have made me very welcome and cannot do enough for me.
By coincidence i bought the house at the same time as another uk couple who have since become good friends, they are now permanent residents, and in total there are now five british houses in the village.Please do not think this is little England as all the expats get involved locally and embrace the culture.
Anyway i am starting to bore you now - so i wish all the forum members the best of luck and maybe see you down there some time - Sean
Greetings from Pecs.
We moved here this year and seem to have settled in well.
I quietly read this very useful site because it is Balaton based.
We pass through Barcs quite often as our border town.
Maybe see you next time you are over.
Best regards
Graham
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the greetings - much appreciated.
I love Pecs, especially the Sunday market.
Maybe hook up sometime,
All the best,
Sean
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum, Sean. I keep trying to organise a visit to your area as there is someone doing permaculture I would like to see. Perhaps next summer I will see if you and he are around at the same time.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fidobsa, thanks for the reply and forgive my ignorance but what is permaculture?
Next summer cannot come quick enough!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Yes. What is permaculture?
Sounds sophisticated for these parts!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gcroft
Yes. What is permaculture?
Sounds sophisticated for these parts!
It it probably what the majority of small holders do 'in these parts'. Permaculture in it's simplest form is basically natural farming taking into account sustainability, harnessing natural resources and taking account of eco systems. It's basically going back to traditional farming. I am a big fan.

See link http://www.permaculture.org/nm/index.../key_concepts/
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It is too big a subject to explain in a few words but the attraction for me is that it is less labour intensive than conventional methods of growing crops.
An example of permaculture is the planting of different species together that will benefit each other. One plant might be providing shade for another that likes shade whilst the second is providing some other benefit, such as stopping the soil from drying out. There are also techniques for trapping heat to encourage early growth. An example of this is growing potatoes in a stack of old car tyres filled with straw. The black tyres absorb the sun and as the plant grows you add extra tyres so you end up with a really deep root system and loads of spuds!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

wow!!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:10 am
Just Joined

And here`s me thinking that they just had untidy gardens! :-)
Old Oct 4th 2013, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tomsky2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sean welcome from Marcali, we have been here just over a year and love it have taken this year to explore (rented a house) and now in the process of buying our first home here with help from some excellent peeps we met from this forum.. Im sure youll settle well and be happy.......must start collecting tyres lolol Mmmm baked spuds...