Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Good restaurants in and around the Balaton area

Good restaurants in and around the Balaton area

Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice
Default Good restaurants in and around the Balaton area

Thought this thread could concentrate on good places to eat in the Balaton area, as that is what I am familiar with, but if anyone knows of others in other parts of Hungary eg Budapest and it would be useful for other people then they could be added as well. So please share your secrets with us.

So to start
1. Mester Etterem, Marcali, Rakaczi utca 2-10 tele 06-30/247-2932
on the main street, next to the ice-cream palour which is part of the restaurant, only opened this summer. modern decor, but very friendly service, english, dutch, german as well as hungarian spoken. Good menu, and range of prices, good pasta as well as steak. Fantastic ice-creams. Outside seating as well as indoors. Parking outside, bank next door. During the day does special menu deals, very popular with the locals, very good value.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice
Default Re: Good restaurants in the Balaton area

[QUOTE=Tapsony-Hungary;9612241]Thought this thread could concentrate on good places to eat in the Balaton area, as that is what I am familiar with, but if anyone knows of others in other parts of Hungary eg Budapest and it would be useful for other people then they could be added as well. So please share your secrets with us.

2. if you like seafood, fresh prawns, mussels etc the sushi/chinese restaurant near OBI in Kesztely is very good with its all you can eat buffet. They will cook the food in front of you with a choice of sauces, ranging from hot and spicy to mild.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 5:31 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good restaurants in and around the Balaton area

Hi, I have merged the restaurants threads as both basically served the same purpose. I kept Tapsony - Hungary's thread as the original thread seeing as it was posted a few minutes before the other though I am sure nobody minds either way

As most of the posters on the Hungarian forum span the West side of the lake - both on the lake and the more rural areas away from the lake, I am sure we will end up with a nice mix of recommendations. Not everybody eats locally and sometimes it can be hit or miss when visiting an area and having to decide where to eat - hopefully, this guide will help avoid some of the not so good étterems

Perhaps we could apply a format for easier reading and accessibility to the required information, perhaps :

Restaurant name (in bold)
Address:
Website if available:
Phone number:
Food:
Price:
Pros:
Cons:
Further comments:

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Sep 10th 2011 at 5:52 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:58 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Restaurant name: Szent Orbans
Address:8749. Zalakaros Szent Orbán út 12.
Website if available: Szent Orbans
Phone number: 30-522 2565 or 20-4187484
Food & drink: Varied but in the main roasted and grilled meats. Excellent and very inexpensive choice of wines from the winery itself.
Price: Very affordable - prices on website
Pros: Friendly service, good atmosphere, gorgeous setting, good wine,affordable
Cons: Always busy so reservation is recommended, closed out of season
Further comments: Having spent many enjoyable evenings at Szent Orbans, I can thoroughly recommend it.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:20 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Name: Hotel Gabriella, Tapolca
Address: H-8300 Tapolca, Batsanyi Ter 7
Phone No: 87/511 070
Web Site: www.hotelgabriella.hu
Food: I recommend Pan Fried Sirloin with fried onions HUF 2,800
Prices: Very fair for quality but not cheap.
Pros: Beautiful setting by small warm water lake in the middle of town. Old mill building.
Cons: I prefer in the summer, sitting outside. The dinning room inside has a low ceiling.

Had many great times there & can recommend food & atmosphere.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:14 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Restaurant name: Piki Centrum
Address:8710 Balatonszentgyörgy, Csillagvár u. 1.
(on the corner as you enter the village from the motorway.)
Website if available: www.pikicentrum.hu/
Phone number: +36 - 85 - 703 to 662 Mobile: +36 - 30 - 332-3794; +36 - 20 - 971 - 0821
Food & drink: New menu with a wider variety of choices though few vegetarian options. Menus starting from 650ft and consisting of; soup, a main course and a crepe or cake.
Price: Very affordable
Pros: Friendly staff, good atmosphere, new and improved menu, spotlessly clean..
Cons: Service can sometimes be a bit slow, especially if you are with a large group.
Further comments: The old menu was quite limited and portions somewhat lacking. However, this appears to have been addressed with their new menu and larger portion sizes. Definitely our favourite out of the 3 restaurants in Szentgyorgy.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Yes I too can recommend Piki nice food and good value for money.
Another couple in BalatonBereny I can recommend Bobos Charda and Korona both are on Kossuth layos Ucta in Bereny. Bobos is like Piki good value for money, good food and good service it has a nice thatched roof and very countryish if you know what I mean. Korona is a little more upmarket excellent food, great service a little more expensive but not much.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:36 am
I bite my thumb at thee

If you find yourself in the Fured area, it's worth taking a visit to Fék Üzletház - good food, reasonable prices, excellent service and the restaurant has plenty of character. Also, seven of the restaurants offer a special for 950ft on different days of the week - great idea we thought, especially if you are staying in the village,

Fék Üzletház
8243 Balatonakali Pacsirta u. 1
E-mail.: [email protected]
Tel: 87/544-044
Website in Hungarian
Old Aug 16th 2013, 3:27 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Another one worth mentioning. Food is great, though one dish was slightly over salted, atmosphere is excellent, views stunning, prices are reasonable:

RÓMAI PINCE
8380 Hévíz, Dombföldi u. 2023/1
GPS: 46.803354 / 17.189158
Mobiltelefon: +36 30 916 9916
Telefon: +36 83 340 593
E-mail: [email protected]
website in English