Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Getting from Budapest to the Balaton

Getting from Budapest to the Balaton

Old May 2nd 2012, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future
Default Getting from Budapest to the Balaton

I have been looking at ways to travel by car hire and public transport to and from Budapest, so I can use the cheap fligths to return home for short periods.
Cheapest and least troublesome public transport I found is around £10 train from Keszthely to Budapest and then £15 taxi to the airport, one way. Another way is to pick up a rental car for 1 day hire at Sarmellek airport and drop off at Budapest airport (and vice versa on return). When I contacted each hire company they were around £45 plus 20 Euro drop off fee.
I contacted a car hire broker 'Honk' and they quoted 8500 forint, about £25 for the same. I have been researching Tripadvisor and other places to find out about this company and from what I gather they use the existing hire company's like Avis and Hertz etc to get a cheaper price for you.
Has anyone used this company or way of travelling to Budapest? It would save a lot of time and bother.
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:10 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting from Budapest to the Balaton

Are you sure the price includes the drop off fee? I know some of the car hire search sights, at times, claim all inclusive but when you actually arrive at the car hire desk, you are told otherwise. If it is included then that's a great price.
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

All the blogs I've read stated that they too, checked if there were any surcharges and dropping off fees. None. There were some blogs who stated that they have hired many times through this company and there were none. If this is correct then it might be worth looking at longer periods of car hire. I have only come across them recently but I could have saved a lot of money if this is right. I have never come a cross a car hire broker, and I will be tryinging them out in the autumn. There is also another one called 'Zoom', though I haven't looked in detail at this one.
Old May 3rd 2012, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

I have contacted Honk and Zoom, at least tried to, and left messages. This is a no go for me if you can't even contact them on the telephone. Shame, because the prices looked good.
I have since contacted 3 other car rental brokers, only one was based in the UK: Atlas Choice. They do a 24 hour hire with a drop off at Sarmellek, cheapest was £25, but yes, you have to pay a 26 Euro drop off fee regardless what anyone tells you. It is well worth it if there is more than one of you. At around £45 one way might still be worth it to avoid the hassle and awkward times.
Has anyone got any better ideas?
Old May 3rd 2012, 9:41 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Roller skates
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Last resort, I spoke to the hire company's in Hungary personally. What is the matter with these people,they just can't charge enough!!! Cheapest was 78 euros (including drop off fee) and that was Fox Autorent. Have also spoken to Sixt, Avis, Hertz and Budget. Got fed up after that.
Best stick to renting from the UK company's.
Old May 5th 2012, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by bronty
Last resort, I spoke to the hire company's in Hungary personally. What is the matter with these people,they just can't charge enough!!! Cheapest was 78 euros (including drop off fee) and that was Fox Autorent. Have also spoken to Sixt, Avis, Hertz and Budget. Got fed up after that.
Best stick to renting from the UK company's.
re. Fox Autorent - it is best popping in their local office in Heviz -0 they usually offer a good deal.
Old May 5th 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Roller skates
Scooter!