Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Get orff my land

Get orff my land

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Get orff my land

Hello,

A question for those who live here with land. What is the situation when the local farmer is farming your newly purchased land? Our farmer is also our next door neighbour and the issue has yet to be addressed....but we will be reclaiming use next year so I am assuming once harvested, he will come and speak with us. We have certainly not had any benefit from it so far. All help appreciated. You can tell I have only just moved here can't you
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:31 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice
Default Re: Get orff my land

Have you approached the farmer in any way. Would certainly be my approach direct discussion to explain your position
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

lenandcheryl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Usually the farmer will have arranged to use the land with your previous owner and the contract is usually verbal and is for the one season. He will have paid to put his crop on your land and when it is harvested that will be the end of it. Depending on what the crop is, he may plough the land to tidy it up for you. If it is a lucerne crop that runs for several years, but next year it will be your crop.

If he wishes to use your land again he should approach you.

We purchase lucerne crops off 2 local neighbours, we pay 5000ft for the crop and we harvest it several times over the summer season,at the end of the season we no longer have use of the land and need to renegotiate the following year

Hope that helps

Regards
Cheryl

Last edited by lenandcheryl; Sep 23rd 2011 at 6:52 pm. Reason: spelling mistake!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:42 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Hello,

A question for those who live here with land. What is the situation when the local farmer is farming your newly purchased land? Our farmer is also our next door neighbour and the issue has yet to be addressed....but we will be reclaiming use next year so I am assuming once harvested, he will come and speak with us. We have certainly not had any benefit from it so far. All help appreciated. You can tell I have only just moved here can't you
LOL - been there done that (sort of). This is when you find out what your neighbour is really like

Seriously though, have a chat with them - sooner rather than later so that they can plan for next year minus your field. Usually it isn't a problem and they expect to lose the use of it when the property is sold.

In our case, we were actually approached by the mother and wife of the farmer who had been using our field in exchange for tidy the garden for the previous owner. It was all rather official as they made an appointment to see us and came with a selection of phrases translated into English. Within 5 minutes of them arriving, it was impressed upon us that they had farmed the field for as long as they could remember and wished to continue - the implication being that it would be a horrendous loss should they no longer be able to use it. Fortunately for them, we haven't used it yet but we did get the impression that the elderly farmer would not be a happy chap should we ever decide to use it