Gas for BBQ

Old Aug 8th 2016, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Glan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas for BBQ

I am considering buying a gas bbq and was wondering how easy it is to acquire 5kg bottles of butane in Hungary. Are the regulators similar to those in the UK? Any help would be great. I am based in the mosonmagyarovar area.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas for BBQ

There are only 2 sizes of gas bottle, 11.5kg and 23kg and it is butane/propane mix. You can buy empty bottles at the flea markets or on the Hungarian equivalents of Ebay such as jofogas.hu. The regulators have a left hand thread nut the same size as the smaller size UK ones. Most petrol stations do exchange bottles but probably won't sell you gas unless you have a bottle to exchange.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Wot fidobsa said.

If you are buying the BBQ here then it will almost certainly be set for PB gas. Ask the shop or look at the plate on the BBQ. Otherwise there is not much difference between propane and butane and PB is a mixture of the two. The main practical differance between propane and butane is the boiling point. (propane can be used at a lower temperature.)
I have a 2 burner camping stove that I have used on butane and propane when in the UK and now use with PB all without problems. - Note none of these are interchangable with natural gas, you will need a jet change for that.

My local builders merchant stocks regulators, but you may find one included with the BBQ
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Glan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help. I will be in Mosonmagyarovar in October and I hope to acquire the BBQ and gas locally during this visit. Is there a specific name or company who supply the gas, similar to Calor?
Old Aug 9th 2016, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Various companies fill the bottles but I find the MOL petrol stations are usually the cheapest for gas:

https://mol.hu/images/pdf/Vallalatiu...eklap_2011.pdf
Old Aug 9th 2016, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Once you get a gas bottle it will be a standard bottle and they are exchanged at any place selling gas, regardless of where the bottle came from.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Aug 9th 2016 at 11:45 am.