Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Gardening books for beginners

Gardening books for beginners

Old Apr 17th 2014, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

onlyablur is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Gardening books for beginners

Hi, I'm a complete beginner in gardening and would like to buy a couple of books. What would you recommend? If i buy books from the UK, would the plants mentioned in the books be unsuitable for the climate here in Hungary? or would it be better if I learn the basics from internet tutorials and buy a reference guide of plants in Hungarian? Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 12:20 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardening books for beginners

Originally Posted by onlyablur
Hi, I'm a complete beginner in gardening and would like to buy a couple of books. What would you recommend? If i buy books from the UK, would the plants mentioned in the books be unsuitable for the climate here in Hungary? or would it be better if I learn the basics from internet tutorials and buy a reference guide of plants in Hungarian? Thanks a lot!
Hi there, if you use the search facility, you should hopefully find a thread on this very subject. It was a year or two ago but I'm sure some of the regulars posted quite useful info. If I get a minute, I'll see if I can find it later
Old Apr 17th 2014, 12:24 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

I have looked for a gardening / fruit growing book relevant for the Hungarian climate, but written in English. No success.

The alternative is to look on the www with an automatic translate function switched on. Can work well.

If you find a book I would love to hear of it!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 12:25 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again, I think it was John who was looking for the very same thing - not sure whether he found one or not but there are some threads here which might be useful
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

As an instant fix you can generally reckon that seeds sold in the local shop will be suitable for the climate here - and the front of the packet usually has a picture of what you can expect and the back of the packet has pictograms of how/when to plant the contents. Otherwise English books or the internet on soil preparation are valid here. You won't get a hosepipe ban here - except when the other half sees the water bill as unless you arrange a separation then all water used will attract a sewage charge.

A bit later on you can look over the fence and see what the neighbours are planting!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
You won't get a hosepipe ban here - except when the other half sees the water bill as unless you arrange a separation then all water used will attract sewage charge!
So true OH now frantically trying all sorts of ways of capturing rainwater for use in the garden
Old Apr 17th 2014, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its fine reading books and studding what can be grown over hear, but you must start with basics draw out your garden put the points of north and south this will assist in planting suitable plants and vegetable's next step is the soil if it is dark and Farley heavy then that's good but if light sandy to clay like structure this is boarder line but sand and clay ground retain most moisture, in the past I used dwarf french bean seed it is a true fact they will grow any wear the ground is good if ground is poor then use green manures green mustard, tears, and even clover to bulk up the humus in the soil, as to what can be grown I have tried and given up on lots of vegetable's as my soil is sand to clay structure and the ground dry's out around the plant and stumps its growth beans no mater witch you sow they must be shaded as their is to much heat but moor so the sun light, this no mater what others say will force the plant into thermal budding casing premature plant abortion from continuing in to full growth and loss of crop. as same as most flowers Chrysanthemums I used to grow over 1 million along with Antirrhinum's Stocks Sweetwillams Statics in fact 2.5 acres of land used witch include nearly I acre of covered glass houses and there is no way I can grow my flowers over hear Statics Helianthus and native flowers to Hungary flowers will grow, the way forward for myself is to import as much free Horse Manure witch I get free, as plants reach high 10 cem. start mulching down between rows the manure straw helps the roots by helping to prevent the sunshine heat if using water then night time only in morning possibility of moisture on leaves destroying the plant, so end of my ranting's I hop I have given some good points in the wright direction and I am open for any sarcasms and criticism and bad spelling all the best digger
Old Apr 18th 2014, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

We came over with a load of gardening books and they are all largely useless due to the dramatically different climate we are blessed or cursed with over here.

But prepare the soil well chuck stuff in the ground, make sure it does not get too dry and stuff just grows, we had no experience with gardening before we moved here and in all fairness we don't do flowers but manage to grow more than enough vegetables to feed us twice over every year
Old Apr 18th 2014, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llareggub
....we had no experience with gardening before we moved here and in all fairness we don't do flowers but manage to grow more than enough vegetables to feed us twice over every year
2 meals a year is not much!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Books are ok but remember what the Frog seed red it red it red it digger
Old Apr 18th 2014, 11:25 am
Just Joined

onlyablur is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your replies! I shall start with the basics then...
Old Apr 18th 2014, 11:36 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Thanks all for your replies! I shall start with the basics then...
Just to reiterate what Digger says... Much depends on your soil type. If you're unfortunate enough to have a clay or clay/sand soil then plenty of organic material needs putting in, after a few years, the quality of the soil will improve. However, certain things such as squash, melons, corn, kohl rabi, Jerusalem artichokes and potatoes don't seem to mind the poorer soil.
Again, as Digger says, water in the evening as the leaves, if damp, will burn white due to the heat and this will either stress or kill the plant. If possible, fit and underground irrigation system as it will benefit both yourself and the plants. Good luck.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fidobsa
2 meals a year is not much!
My 5,7, 10 a day (delete as appropriate) is supplemented by wine or cider
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llareggub
My 5,7, 10 a day (delete as appropriate) is supplemented by wine or cider
And seeing the time of the post - presumably starting at 09:27 (By the way is it DIY or bought in)
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
And seeing the time of the post - presumably starting at 09:27 (By the way is it DIY or bought in)
All home made, we usually get about 80 litres of grape wine but also make a little Strawberry and cherry wines alongside some rough scrumpy, you have to vary your fruit intake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.