Reload this Page >

Gadgets & Internet TV

Gadgets & Internet TV

Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:38 am
Just Joined

tweez78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gadgets & Internet TV

Originally Posted by gcroft
Please interpret the vocabulary from a non-techie but we have Applet Tvs and then stream to them from an iPad connected to a VPN using airplay and mirroring.
It works for us.
Yeah I thought about Apple TV but would ideally like it not to have an Apple logo on it and thus pay half the price! (but my doing in having an iPad/iPhone so will probably have to suck it up!)

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
A quick search and it seems there are iplayer and TVcatchup apps so you can stream.
Yep I use those apps already on my iPad but do you mean to watch on Apple TV or Chromecast?

Originally Posted by llareggub
Not exactly streaming but the best way to turn your TV into a smart TV and pull down what ever you want is to plug it into a PC, naturally not ideal if your TV is hung on the wall but if you can get a small form tower and remote mouse and keyboard you are ready to rock and roll
Yep another option i've considered. But not so ideal if I want to watch TV and my girlfriend wants to use the laptop (only one between us at the mo). Ideally I want as close as possible to having a remote control in my hand, namely my iPhone/iPad, to select UK channels at my leisure. Looks like Apple TV is the best option at the mo', but I'm sure there must be a cheaper option out there!

Last edited by tweez78; Apr 7th 2014 at 9:53 am.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:56 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweez78

Yep I use those apps already on my iPad but do you mean to watch on Apple TV or Chromecast?
Chromecast
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gcroft
Excuse my ignorance but does this kit do the same as airplay/mirroring on an iPad, or does it do more?
It does the same. I've pasted Chromecast and Apple TV futher down.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I thought about Apple TV but would ideally like it not to have an Apple logo on it and thus pay half the price! (but my doing in having an iPad/iPhone so will probably have to suck it up!)

Yep another option i've considered. But not so ideal if I want to watch TV and my girlfriend wants to use the laptop (only one between us at the mo). Ideally I want as close as possible to having a remote control in my hand, namely my iPhone/iPad, to select UK channels at my leisure. Looks like Apple TV is the best option at the mo', but I'm sure there must be a cheaper option out there!
Maybe another option: http://www.roku.com/uk/what-is-roku?...FQkUwwodLR8Aaw

## Do check that your android device or laptop/PC is compatible before purchasing.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Don't have Android unfortunately otherwise I'd jump on that Netgear P2TV thing you mentioned. Looks ideal for my needs but won't work with Apple stuff.

The Roku device is OK I guess but like Chromecast you're locked to only what's included inside.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

I find the Apple TV is Brilliant
Old Apr 7th 2014, 3:25 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have Android unfortunately otherwise I'd jump on that Netgear P2TV thing you mentioned. Looks ideal for my needs but won't work with Apple stuff.

The Roku device is OK I guess but like Chromecast you're locked to only what's included inside.
So it's the apps installed in Chromecast you can use and not what's on your tablet or have I got that wrong I thought it was the apps installed on your phone, tablet laptop etc

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Apr 7th 2014 at 3:45 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by klarika
I find the Apple TV is Brilliant
Yes I found the demonstration on your tv impressive Klarika but I have a Panasonic plasma.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 3:58 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by FenTiger

## Do check that your android device or laptop/PC is compatible before purchasing.
Fen, is the Roku pre loaded with apps and you can only use those apps? Whereas, the Chromecast is like ATV and can use whichever apps you have on your tablet, phone, laptop etc so long as the Chromecast supports them?
Old Apr 7th 2014, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

So it's the apps installed in Chromecast you can use and not what's on your tablet or have I got that wrong I thought it was the apps installed on your phone, tablet laptop etc
I think if you use a laptop with Chromecast you can mirror what's on screen according to here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...hromecast.html

But not the case with tabs/phones; you get what you're given!
Old Apr 7th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fen, is the Roku pre loaded with apps and you can only use those apps? Whereas, the Chromecast is like ATV and can use whichever apps you have on your tablet, phone, laptop etc so long as the Chromecast supports them?
Just had a look at the Roku. I need to double check the spec and what apps are on it. Apparently there's four models!
Old Apr 7th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think if you use a laptop with Chromecast you can mirror what's on screen according to here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...hromecast.html

But not the case with tabs/phones; you get what you're given!
I'm surprised it works with Windows 7 via laptop/pc. Always thought "mirror casting" only works with Windows 8. Must do some home work.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 4:37 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I'm surprised it works with Windows 7 via laptop/pc. Always thought "mirror casting" only works with Windows 8. Must do some home work.
Says it works with windows 7
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

mr87009 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a little confused with all this. So if I buy one of these Roku or Chromecasts will it just plug into my TV and hey presto - or do I need to do/buy something else??
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:56 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by mr87009
I'm a little confused with all this. So if I buy one of these Roku or Chromecasts will it just plug into my TV and hey presto - or do I need to do/buy something else??
Hi there, so long as your TV and tablet/phone or laptop are compatible and your internet connection is fast enough then yes, just plug into your TV and hey presto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.