British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Gadgets & Internet TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/gadgets-internet-tv-830532/)

FenTiger Apr 5th 2014 4:50 pm

Gadgets & Internet TV

You may be interested in a new gadget on the market. In UK it costs £30. Basicallly you connect it to your tv if it has HDMI connection. You can watch internet tv via remote control. Obviously you need wi-fi. I have something similar. I have Netgear Push to TV gadget and via my tablet I can control what I watch on TV. It's fantastic.

You need to be aware chromecast does need a power point but you can use usb connection. Same with my Netgear Push to TV but I use power point so I can switch off when I don't need to use it.

Rural Hungary Apr 5th 2014 5:15 pm

Re: Chromecast

Cheers Fen, sounds interesting, basically turning your TV into a smart TV!

FenTiger Apr 5th 2014 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11205906)
Cheers Fen, sounds interesting, basically turning your TV into a smart TV!

Spot on correct. It turns your tv into smart tv. Amazon have a new gadget out and it will cost £50 to £60. Think this might be a better option. My Netgear Push to tv mirrors what appears on my tablet. For any pc or laptop you need atleast Windows 8.1 . My Netgear push to tv cost £70. Chromecast is £30. This works directly from wi-fi. Amazon's new gadget is around £50 to £60. This also works directly from wi-fi.

Rural Hungary Apr 5th 2014 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 11205936)
Chromecast is £30. This works directly from wi-fi. Amazon's new gadget is around £50 to £60. This also works directly from wi-fi.

So what will be the main differences between them?

FenTiger Apr 5th 2014 8:37 pm

Netgear Push2TV mirrors your android tablet or Windows 8.1. Laptop to TV, I.e. what you see on your tablet or compatible laptop comes up on your tv. Chromecast ...... I am not fully knowledgeable about this gadget but Amazon released a new gadget with remote control. Think it is similar to Roku SS.

FenTiger Apr 5th 2014 8:39 pm

RURAL HUNGARY .....can you change this thread to 'Gadgets & Internet TV?

Rural Hungary Apr 6th 2014 1:30 pm

Gadgets & Internet TV

Your wish is my command :)

gcroft Apr 6th 2014 3:38 pm

Re: Gadgets & Internet TV

Excuse my ignorance but does this kit do the same as airplay/mirroring on an iPad, or does it do more?

Rural Hungary Apr 6th 2014 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by gcroft (Post 11206927)
Excuse my ignorance but does this kit do the same as airplay/mirroring on an iPad, or does it do more?

I read somewhere that it's similar to Apple TV

gcroft Apr 6th 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks.
I think that's what I meant!

tweez78 Apr 7th 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 11205880)
You may be interested in a new gadget on the market. In UK it costs £30. Basicallly you connect it to your tv if it has HDMI connection. You can watch internet tv via remote control. Obviously you need wi-fi. I have something similar. I have Netgear Push to TV gadget and via my tablet I can control what I watch on TV. It's fantastic.

You need to be aware chromecast does need a power point but you can use usb connection. Same with my Netgear Push to TV but I use power point so I can switch off when I don't need to use it.

Hi FenTiger. So the new gadget you're referring to is Chromecast?
Am I right in saying that, so long as I use my iPad/iPhone with a VPN, it will stream whatever I tell it to to Chromecast? (i.e iPlayer live streaming/TV Catchup/SkyGo/anything that's normally blocked outside UK?)

Edit: Hmmm, having done a bit of reading up it seems it won't stream anything, just the apps/content included as part of the device. Thoughts on best gadget to stream UK TV to my 47" TV? (fed up of watching it on my iPad mini!)

gcroft Apr 7th 2014 8:53 am

Please interpret the vocabulary from a non-techie but we have Applet Tvs and then stream to them from an iPad connected to a VPN using airplay and mirroring.
It works for us.

Rural Hungary Apr 7th 2014 9:09 am

A quick search and it seems there are iplayer and TVcatchup apps so you can stream.

llareggub Apr 7th 2014 9:13 am

Originally Posted by tweez78 (Post 11207896)
Hi FenTiger. So the new gadget you're referring to is Chromecast?
Am I right in saying that, so long as I use my iPad/iPhone with a VPN, it will stream whatever I tell it to to Chromecast? (i.e iPlayer live streaming/TV Catchup/SkyGo/anything that's normally blocked outside UK?)

Edit: Hmmm, having done a bit of reading up it seems it won't stream anything, just the apps/content included as part of the device. Thoughts on best gadget to stream UK TV to my 47" TV? (fed up of watching it on my iPad mini!)

Not exactly streaming but the best way to turn your TV into a smart TV and pull down what ever you want is to plug it into a PC, naturally not ideal if your TV is hung on the wall but if you can get a small form tower and remote mouse and keyboard you are ready to rock and roll :)

Rural Hungary Apr 7th 2014 9:25 am

There are other options for wireless connectivity from PC/laptop to TV, last year we looked into the wireless usb but didn't go for it. Can't remember exactly why but I think reviews were mixed on the strength of the signal and quality of streaming - not sure.
Some of them are in this article.

tweez78 Apr 7th 2014 9:38 am

Originally Posted by gcroft (Post 11207912)
Please interpret the vocabulary from a non-techie but we have Applet Tvs and then stream to them from an iPad connected to a VPN using airplay and mirroring.
It works for us.

Yeah I thought about Apple TV but would ideally like it not to have an Apple logo on it and thus pay half the price! (but my doing in having an iPad/iPhone so will probably have to suck it up!)

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11207930)
A quick search and it seems there are iplayer and TVcatchup apps so you can stream.

Yep I use those apps already on my iPad but do you mean to watch on Apple TV or Chromecast?

Originally Posted by llareggub (Post 11207942)
Not exactly streaming but the best way to turn your TV into a smart TV and pull down what ever you want is to plug it into a PC, naturally not ideal if your TV is hung on the wall but if you can get a small form tower and remote mouse and keyboard you are ready to rock and roll :)

Yep another option i've considered. But not so ideal if I want to watch TV and my girlfriend wants to use the laptop (only one between us at the mo). Ideally I want as close as possible to having a remote control in my hand, namely my iPhone/iPad, to select UK channels at my leisure. Looks like Apple TV is the best option at the mo', but I'm sure there must be a cheaper option out there!

Rural Hungary Apr 7th 2014 10:56 am

Originally Posted by tweez78 (Post 11207975)

Yep I use those apps already on my iPad but do you mean to watch on Apple TV or Chromecast?

Chromecast

FenTiger Apr 7th 2014 11:26 am

Originally Posted by gcroft (Post 11206927)

It does the same. I've pasted Chromecast and Apple TV futher down.

FenTiger Apr 7th 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by tweez78 (Post 11207975)
Yeah I thought about Apple TV but would ideally like it not to have an Apple logo on it and thus pay half the price! (but my doing in having an iPad/iPhone so will probably have to suck it up!)

Yep another option i've considered. But not so ideal if I want to watch TV and my girlfriend wants to use the laptop (only one between us at the mo). Ideally I want as close as possible to having a remote control in my hand, namely my iPhone/iPad, to select UK channels at my leisure. Looks like Apple TV is the best option at the mo', but I'm sure there must be a cheaper option out there!

Maybe another option: http://www.roku.com/uk/what-is-roku?...FQkUwwodLR8Aaw

## Do check that your android device or laptop/PC is compatible before purchasing.

tweez78 Apr 7th 2014 12:25 pm

Don't have Android unfortunately otherwise I'd jump on that Netgear P2TV thing you mentioned. Looks ideal for my needs but won't work with Apple stuff. :(

The Roku device is OK I guess but like Chromecast you're locked to only what's included inside.

klarika Apr 7th 2014 2:13 pm

I find the Apple TV is Brilliant

Rural Hungary Apr 7th 2014 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by tweez78 (Post 11208160)
Don't have Android unfortunately otherwise I'd jump on that Netgear P2TV thing you mentioned. Looks ideal for my needs but won't work with Apple stuff. :(

The Roku device is OK I guess but like Chromecast you're locked to only what's included inside.

So it's the apps installed in Chromecast you can use and not what's on your tablet or have I got that wrong :confused: I thought it was the apps installed on your phone, tablet laptop etc

richardmc Apr 7th 2014 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by klarika (Post 11208277)
I find the Apple TV is Brilliant

Yes I found the demonstration on your tv impressive Klarika but I have a Panasonic plasma.

Rural Hungary Apr 7th 2014 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 11208098)

## Do check that your android device or laptop/PC is compatible before purchasing.

Fen, is the Roku pre loaded with apps and you can only use those apps? Whereas, the Chromecast is like ATV and can use whichever apps you have on your tablet, phone, laptop etc so long as the Chromecast supports them?

tweez78 Apr 7th 2014 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11208363)
So it's the apps installed in Chromecast you can use and not what's on your tablet or have I got that wrong :confused: I thought it was the apps installed on your phone, tablet laptop etc

I think if you use a laptop with Chromecast you can mirror what's on screen according to here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...hromecast.html

But not the case with tabs/phones; you get what you're given!

FenTiger Apr 7th 2014 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11208412)
Fen, is the Roku pre loaded with apps and you can only use those apps? Whereas, the Chromecast is like ATV and can use whichever apps you have on your tablet, phone, laptop etc so long as the Chromecast supports them?

Just had a look at the Roku. I need to double check the spec and what apps are on it. Apparently there's four models!

FenTiger Apr 7th 2014 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by tweez78 (Post 11208443)
I think if you use a laptop with Chromecast you can mirror what's on screen according to here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...hromecast.html

But not the case with tabs/phones; you get what you're given!

I'm surprised it works with Windows 7 via laptop/pc. Always thought "mirror casting" only works with Windows 8. Must do some home work.

Rural Hungary Apr 7th 2014 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 11208459)
I'm surprised it works with Windows 7 via laptop/pc. Always thought "mirror casting" only works with Windows 8. Must do some home work.

Says it works with windows 7

mr87009 Apr 9th 2014 9:39 am

I'm a little confused with all this. So if I buy one of these Roku or Chromecasts will it just plug into my TV and hey presto - or do I need to do/buy something else??

Rural Hungary Apr 9th 2014 9:56 am

Originally Posted by mr87009 (Post 11211132)
I'm a little confused with all this. So if I buy one of these Roku or Chromecasts will it just plug into my TV and hey presto - or do I need to do/buy something else??

Hi there, so long as your TV and tablet/phone or laptop are compatible and your internet connection is fast enough then yes, just plug into your TV and hey presto :thumbsup:

FenTiger Apr 9th 2014 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11211154)
Hi there, so long as your TV and tablet/phone or laptop are compatible and your internet connection is fast enough then yes, just plug into your TV and hey presto :thumbsup:

You do need to check the connections available on your TV. You may need a HDMI cable if it is not included in the pack.

mr87009 Apr 9th 2014 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11211154)

Thanks Rural - having previously researched all about VPN's and the like this all seemed a little too easy! But I'm not complaining. We recently had broadband installed and are over again on Sunday for the Easter 2 week holidays, so looks like I need to buy one of these before we leave the UK!!

Cheers,

Matt

Rural Hungary Apr 9th 2014 12:17 pm

Great to hear you have internet sorted and hope this works for you though it's all thanks to Fen for the OP.
Hope you have a lovely 2 weeks :thumbsup:

mr87009 Apr 9th 2014 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 11211364)
Great to hear you have internet sorted and hope this works for you though it's all thanks to Fen for the OP.
Hope you have a lovely 2 weeks :thumbsup:

Thanks Rural and thanks Fen too!

Just out of interest Fen apart from iPlayer what other TV from the UK do you get with the Chromecast?

FenTiger Apr 9th 2014 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by mr87009 (Post 11211383)
Thanks Rural and thanks Fen too!

Just out of interest Fen apart from iPlayer what other TV from the UK do you get with the Chromecast?

I actually have Netgear Push2Tv because I have a Kindle Fire HDX. This was recommended by Amazon. I have Netflix on my Kindle and movies are great. It all depends on what apps you download to your android tablet or Windows 7 or 8 compatible laptop. The gadget mirrors what you see on your tablet/laptop. I'd have gone for the Chromecast had it been around at the time I bought my Push2TV. Technology changes so fast.

tweez78 Apr 9th 2014 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 11211755)
I actually have Netgear Push2Tv because I have a Kindle Fire HDX. This was recommended by Amazon. I have Netflix on my Kindle and movies are great. It all depends on what apps you download to your android tablet or Windows 7 or 8 compatible laptop. The gadget mirrors what you see on your tablet/laptop. I'd have gone for the Chromecast had it been around at the time I bought my Push2TV. Technology changes so fast.

But the Chromecast doesn't have the mirroring feature when used with a tablet. So I'd say the Netgear device you have is better for that reason!

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...gle-chromecast

The more I read up on Chromecast the less appealing it becomes! :(

FenTiger Apr 9th 2014 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by tweez78 (Post 11211766)
But the Chromecast doesn't have the mirroring feature when used with a tablet. So I'd say the Netgear device you have is better for that reason!

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...gle-chromecast

The more I read up on Chromecast the less appealing it becomes! :(

That's strange the link below says it can mirror your android tablet!
http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/05/m...ecast-support/

My Kindle Fire HDX already has Mirror display to TV built in so all I need to do is switch on my Netgear Push2TV.
Might be best to wait for the Amazon TV gadget!:zzz:

FenTiger Apr 9th 2014 6:46 pm

Chromecast:
All about what it can do.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=1

Rural Hungary Apr 9th 2014 6:49 pm

....and here

FenTiger Apr 9th 2014 7:13 pm

Netgear Push2TV