Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Flour translation pls

Flour translation pls

Old May 30th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flour translation pls

Looked up "self raising flour recipe" on Google:

Nigella's recipes come from the UK where self-rising flour (known as self-raising in the UK) does not have salt added so we would not add salt to the self-rising flour substitute. However we appreciate that in the US self-rising flour does contain added salt as it is mainy used for biscuits. So if you are looking to replace self-rising flour in a US recipe then you need to add 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt to every cup of all-purpose flour.
Old May 30th 2013, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Oops - my wife has admitted she was wrong! That's a first! I think my wife has become angolized!
Old May 30th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Made some Dutch Caramel biscuits and the flour part worked just fine.

But I did end up make 3 lots of caramel!
The first I left too long and burnt it (horrible stink) the second was not quite long enough and didn't set, finally 3rd time lucky!
Old May 30th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I must get my Hungarian wife involved on this forum .... she has alot of tips for cooking/baking ... plus she always asks her mother about recipes if something doesn't work out right.

My Hungarian wife makes a mean chutney from apples from our UK garden! She is hoping to take some over to Hungary when we visit her family.
Old May 30th 2013, 8:06 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I must get my Hungarian wife involved on this forum ....
Absolutely Fen, cooking and baking are favourites on here so her advise would be welcome.

Hehe with the caramel Duztee, I have caramel mastered now but toffee for sesame or nut brittle was always a nightmare - like you, not setting or burning. Only this week was I brave enough to try the no liquid way of doing it and it works everytime
Old May 31st 2013, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Rural, could you discribe the 'no liquid' technique on the new recipe thread when you have 5 minutes, and I will give it a try.

Actually part of the problem is my bad kitchen design, the smallest gas ring is at the back of the hob, so leaning over to constantly check how the caramel is doing is a pain in my old back.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Wow the mysteries of flour here. I tried toad in the hole but it ended up more like bread pudding! Can anyone tell me what flour mix to use. Guess it would be the same for Yorkshire pudding.
Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:49 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Try 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder to one cup of flour. I use either the white bag with the sun on the front or the nagyi titka finomliszt
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cathyg
Wow the mysteries of flour here. I tried toad in the hole but it ended up more like bread pudding! Can anyone tell me what flour mix to use. Guess it would be the same for Yorkshire pudding.
Thanks
Never have any problems with using finomliszt for yorkies or toad in the hole... Fiercely hot oven with fat, and the mix is equal volumetric quantities of milk, eggs and flour.

Start the sausages first and get them part of the way there, then drop in the smoking fat (I use lard) and add the mix and chuck in the oven.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree, as Rural says you must add Baking Powder (all flour here is plain) and as said I think your problem Cathy, is to do with the temperature, you really do need very hot fat to get a fast rise, same for Yorkshire puds.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never used or seen a recipe for yorkshire pudding batter that uses anything other than plain flour and typically no baking powder is added.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:52 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

You can use either and will find recipes for both. Traditionally plain flour was used and purists insist on only plain flour as the eggs, if the oil is hot enough, should be enough for them to rise. I don't use lard or vegetable oil and find that self raising works better at lower temperatures.
If Cathy is having problems with them rising then no harm in giving the baking powder a try
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

My mum was a Yorkshire woman and she made the best Yorkshire pud I've ever tasted! She only used plain flour, and always left tthe batter mixture to rest for several hours before she cooked it, usually in really hot lard or beef dripping. If there was any cooked Yorkshire pud left over we kids used to eat it cold with either jam or Golden Syrup.

We have an EU funded pig farm in our village and from time to time all us old biddies are given various pork products. For Christmas we were each given two roasting joints and 2kgs of garlic sausages and maj hurka. Last week I was given nearly 2kg of home rendered lard which is rather a lot to get through! I've already used some to make pastry for my pork pie and when I get into town I'll buy some belly pork and make jars of rillettes, then use some more up in my mum's pastry recipe and apart from using the rest to cook chips, I'm stumped so if anyone has any ideas, please pass them on.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Lard will keep for years and if in any doubt you can heat it in the oven or on the hob to kill any bacteria.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:46 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

My arteries are clogging up just thinking about it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.