Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

First experience free fall

First experience free fall

Old Nov 3rd 2023, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default First experience free fall

No, no, no .... not parachuting single or tandem or paragliding ...... I went up into the loft/attic to tidy up and clean the area where the window is. During the hot months I left the window open. Couple of weeks ago as it was getting colder thought I should shut it. Jeez, alot of stinky bugs, spiders, other insects so thought best get my workshop hoover, a bowl of hot water and a sponge to clean up.
There's no railing around the top of attic stairs ..... with window behind me I was blocking the light so didn't see where I was walking to ...... yup ..... I was a little too much to the right and fell down onto the attic stairs!!!! As soon as I started falling I knew something had gone wrong ..... I swear .... I must have fallen in slow motion then suddenly I crash landed heavily on the wooden stairs! I was pretty stunned this happened to me because I'd been up into the attic many times and knew exactly where everything was ..... but I was very, very, very tired .... the bl%%dy dogs had been waking me up 2am, 3am, 4am on multiple nights and I hadn't caught up with my lack of sleep.
Today, last trip to hospital. A&E and three visits to change dressings and remove stitches. My right foot big toe was also badly bruised. I have 45cm long bruise on left upper leg. I had X-Rays .... no broken bones. Is that good I'm 63 years old ... well 64 in 11 days time?

Old Nov 4th 2023, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First experience free fall

Wish you all the best!
Yes, sh*t happens ...
I might have written about this already:
One and a half year ago I fell on my back in the bathroom, kind of broke my spine.
Spent two months lying on my back in the Esztergom hospital - like a big baby with papmpers etc, couldn't sit up.
Now I'm kind of ok, walking with a crutch - but at 80 years it's good to be still alive.
PS:
The hospital in Esztergom is really old and kind of shabby - but the people there were wonderful, docs, nurses, everybody!
Old Nov 4th 2023, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
Wish you all the best!
Yes, sh*t happens ...
I might have written about this already:
One and a half year ago I fell on my back in the bathroom, kind of broke my spine.
Spent two months lying on my back in the Esztergom hospital - like a big baby with papmpers etc, couldn't sit up.
Now I'm kind of ok, walking with a crutch - but at 80 years it's good to be still alive.
PS:
The hospital in Esztergom is really old and kind of shabby - but the people there were wonderful, docs, nurses, everybody!
That's far worse than what happened to me.

The doctors and nurses were very good and out of the four times I went for dressing to be changed two doctors could speak English.

Having crutches would have been useful to keep my right foot off the ground and dressing on big toe dry. I could not get my shoe on so had to wear open toed sandals.
Old Nov 4th 2023, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I had a bad fall I fractured my femur. The problem was that I fell whilst walking the dogs in the woods, on a cold November afternoon. No mobile either and a good twenty minutes walk from home. Thanks to help from my wonderful Shar-Pei girl who allowed me to use her back to lever myself off the ground I managed rather painfully, to walk back to the house. I phoned the mayor who came round and took me to hospital, where I remained for nearly 10 days.
Old Nov 4th 2023, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
The last time I had a bad fall I fractured my femur. The problem was that I fell whilst walking the dogs in the woods, on a cold November afternoon. No mobile either and a good twenty minutes walk from home. Thanks to help from my wonderful Shar-Pei girl who allowed me to use her back to lever myself off the ground I managed rather painfully, to walk back to the house. I phoned the mayor who came round and took me to hospital, where I remained for nearly 10 days.
If the stairs were concrete and not wooden I suspect I would have broken something!
Old Nov 4th 2023, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
If the stairs were concrete and not wooden I suspect I would have broken something!
Concrete was my problem!
The hospital was thinking about having an operation - but only the military hospital in Budapest does this, so the ambulance took me there.
But luckily we went back to Esztergom the same day - the risk of the op was too great, the time for the spine to heal was shorter.
Re languages:
It was kind of funny. There always were docs and nurses who spoke English or German and they wer very happy to talk with me and continue learning ...
Of course I helped them - like with pronunciation.
Old Nov 4th 2023, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
Yes, sh*t happens ...
March last year I was doing some wood work and a moments lack of attention with a circular saw and I now have to use the 'octal' counting system - decimal doesn't work too well when you are missing 2 fingers on one hand !!
No complaints about the Hungarian NHS. Lots of physio, another operation to improve what is left, then more physio. The NHS staff were fine and the hospital food marginal. (I later found out that if you say you are borderline diabetic and gluten allergic then the food is better)
Old Nov 4th 2023, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of a motorbike accident that happened to me some years ago in UK. It was a crossroads on which I had right of way but a car kept on coming and knocked me off the bike. I landed with my knee hitting a curbstone. I got taken away in an ambulance and in A&E they gave me X rays, stitches, dressings etc. I must have torn muscles but there were no bones broken. I could not walk but they would not give me crutches or anything. When they had finished doing the dressings they said "You can go now". I somehow dragged myself to a public phone and rang my brother, who came and took me home.
Old Nov 5th 2023, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
March last year I was doing some wood work and a moments lack of attention with a circular saw and I now have to use the 'octal' counting system - decimal doesn't work too well when you are missing 2 fingers on one hand !!
No complaints about the Hungarian NHS. Lots of physio, another operation to improve what is left, then more physio. The NHS staff were fine and the hospital food marginal. (I later found out that if you say you are borderline diabetic and gluten allergic then the food is better)
So far I have never spent a night in hospital, even when I was born. I hope that continues to be the case as I would be worried about cramp. Cramp is the worst pain I have ever experienced, usually in the calf muscles. I get it more if I've been sweating a lot and become salt deficient. I take calcium and magnesium supplements, which do help but I don't know if I would be allowed those in hospital. I remember when I've visited relatives in hospital and they have complained there was no salt in the food.