Feed the Birds

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice
Default Feed the Birds

Please try and feed the birds this time of the year, in the snow it's not so easy for the little feathered friends.
We get great pleasure watching the visitors to our feeders, we've had finches, tits, hawfinches etc and they are great fun to watch as they queue up for their turn.
My friend has a tube like feeder attached to a wooden post and she gets woodpeckers coming for a feed, we spent quite a while watching them up close, such beautiful colourings.
even things like broken biscuits or bits of fruit can be left out for them on a table if you don't have a bird feeder. Sit back and enjoy your visitors.
also good for the garden they will eat unwelcome bugs in the trees if they are encouraged into your garden.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 11:51 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feed the Birds

Originally Posted by Tapsony-Hungary
Please try and feed the birds this time of the year, in the snow it's not so easy for the little feathered friends.
We get great pleasure watching the visitors to our feeders, we've had finches, tits, hawfinches etc and they are great fun to watch as they queue up for their turn.
My friend has a tube like feeder attached to a wooden post and she gets woodpeckers coming for a feed, we spent quite a while watching them up close, such beautiful colourings.
even things like broken biscuits or bits of fruit can be left out for them on a table if you don't have a bird feeder. Sit back and enjoy your visitors.
also good for the garden they will eat unwelcome bugs in the trees if they are encouraged into your garden.
Okay, I have a dilemma.... I feed the birds, the birds feed the cats! I have always put out feeders, in winter I used to make up lard balls with seeds and bread but since the number of our acquired cats has increased and thus the "presents" left at the door, I have stopped feeding them. Now though, I feel guilty and will need to make or buy a bird table, high enough that the cats can't get at it
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Been feeding the birds for weeks fat balls/seed dried fruit
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:11 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tapsony-Hungary
Please try and feed the birds this time of the year....
Eldest son says you owe him when he sees you as I just dragged him away from the computer to make a milk carton feeder which is now hung high in the walnut tree...
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

We had lots of old twiggy branches in a pile near our garage, and we have a large pear tree in the same area. We regularly had sparrows, coal tits, great tits and blue tits in the pile and a robin on the log pile.

We started putting out old bread, biscuits, fat balls etc made sure they had fresh water every day etc etc all on a table. Hung up 2 feeders with fat balls and monkey nuts (not a success).

The cat used to enjoy sitting in amongst the twig pile watching the birds, although she never managed to catch one!

We moved the twig pile as it was really in the way and now we only get the Robin.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Eldest son says you owe him when he sees you as I just dragged him away from the computer to make a milk carton feeder which is now hung high in the walnut tree...
No problem, tell him he'll feel better knowing the birds are being looked after, and I think he's lovely for doing it.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

graham from yorkshire is an unknown quantity at this point

I always feed the birds , all year round. I also feed the stray cat every morning which comes to the back door. Lol
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

We inadvertently gave a bird a meal.......b****y eagle took a chicken

All part of life's rich tapestry