British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   English TV in Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/english-tv-hungary-896457/)

Razorbite101 May 11th 2017 3:58 pm

Re: English TV in Hungary

Much as I love watching TV here in the UK, when we make the move over full time,it was my intention to watch Hungarian TV(with subtitles) as an aide to learning the language.

Szeged May 11th 2017 6:48 pm

I wouldn't learn via subtitles because your brain will be busy reading the English subtitles and not concentrating on the spoken words. Your best bet is to learn via apps first, such as duolingo, 6,000 words, etc and then listen to the Hungarian TV only. After picking up a few words and sentences via apps and tv you should be able to ask questions in public (i.e. in the shops - Mennyi Kerül, Szeretnék Egy..., etc).

scrubbedexpat142 May 11th 2017 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Szeged (Post 12250799)
I wouldn't learn via subtitles because your brain will be busy reading the English subtitles and not concentrating on the spoken words. Your best bet is to learn via apps first, such as duolingo, 6,000 words, etc and then listen to the Hungarian TV only. After picking up a few words and sentences via apps and tv you should be able to ask questions in public (i.e. in the shops - Mennyi Kerül, Szeretnék Egy..., etc).

I absolutely agree with this!

GBA77 May 11th 2017 9:19 pm

Sz is correct.

However having been to 1 or 2 countries in the past, I have always felt that if you try to speak the going language, the locals appreciate it and try and help you pronounce words correctly and most can guess at what you are trying to say.

Many Hungarians do not seem so accommodating and look at you with a sort of blank expression as if to say WTF! Many don't seem willing to encourage verbal dialogue even if your/mine pronunciation is cra..p.

The little Hungarian TV I do get to see, does not seem all that great (to me in any event) so I could never use that as a medium for learning the lingo. I am concentrating on short sentences and phrases.

Friday night after being at the local for a few hours helps a lot and the locals seem to understand me quiet well then.

GBA

Peter_in_Hungary May 11th 2017 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by GBA77 (Post 12250895)
Friday night after being at the local for a few hours helps a lot and the locals seem to understand me quiet well then.
GBA

Yes - my singing would improve after a few hours in the local :eek::lol:

scrubbedexpat142 May 12th 2017 8:27 am

Originally Posted by GBA77 (Post 12250895)
Sz is correct.

However having been to 1 or 2 countries in the past, I have always felt that if you try to speak the going language, the locals appreciate it and try and help you pronounce words correctly and most can guess at what you are trying to say.

Many Hungarians do not seem so accommodating and look at you with a sort of blank expression as if to say WTF! Many don't seem willing to encourage verbal dialogue even if your/mine pronunciation is cra..p.

The little Hungarian TV I do get to see, does not seem all that great (to me in any event) so I could never use that as a medium for learning the lingo. I am concentrating on short sentences and phrases.

GBA

What we find in the city is that because so many (particularly young) Hungarians speak English & recognise us as being English from a kilometre away we confuse the hell out of them when we start to speak Hungarian! Of course many of the locals want to practice their English - which doesn't help us to learn Hungarian.

FenTiger May 12th 2017 11:42 am

The Hungarian TV programmes I have watched on TV had subtitles in Hungarian which I think is a good way to learn Hungarian. The same time you hear the words you can read it on the TV and gradually build up your vocabulary. I had a French friend who came to England to work and learnt English watching English TV programmes with subtitles.

scrubbedexpat142 May 13th 2017 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Szeged (Post 12250799)

I have been using DuoLingo for the last week and it's quite good, particularly for revision. However what bugs me with this & other apps is the constant use of silly phrases "we are not lawyers, we are men" or "he does not paint politicians" - I wish the phrases were a bit more relevant to daily use!

FenTiger May 13th 2017 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12251881)
I have been using DuoLingo for the last week and it's quite good, particularly for revision. However what bugs me with this & other apps is the constant use of silly phrases "we are not lawyers, we are men" or "he does not paint politicians" - I wish the phrases were a bit more relevant to daily use!

I thought that's how Hungarians speak? :p

vorsman May 31st 2017 5:27 pm

Here we go again. You all want UK tv but are going to all sorts of silly lengths to avoid paying for it. Film On gives you what you want with no problems. If you have a Kodi box you can route it through this rather than your lap top.

They have decided to charge for it now and this yearly charge is less than the UK TV Licence. So where is everyone's problem with this it's an even trade.

Skinflints the lot of you.

enter May 31st 2017 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by vorsman (Post 12263579)
Here we go again. You all want UK tv but are going to all sorts of silly lengths to avoid paying for it. Film On gives you what you want with no problems. If you have a Kodi box you can route it through this rather than your lap top.

They have decided to charge for it now and this yearly charge is less than the UK TV Licence. So where is everyone's problem with this it's an even trade.

Skinflints the lot of you.

Supa dupa I whole-heartedly agree,within hours of the change I paid,big deal, and am satisfied, everyone is banging on and on,the joke is that 99.9% here, its pocket money, the more they have the tighter they are,sad :rofl:

Peter_in_Hungary May 31st 2017 7:17 pm

OK I understand your views but I watch about 4-5 hours a month of UK TV having selected the interesting (to me) shows, so that makes the film on expensive / hour - especially when you compare it to the Hungarian licence fee (none)

Oh and I do subscribe to UPC sat. TV

And I have joined https://robssatellitetv.com/ for which you have to register and there will be a charge but much cheaper than filmon

Szeged Jun 1st 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12251881)

You wait until you get the sentence about "Do you see those dizzy apples"!!!!

A good alternative to Duolingo is - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...book.hungarian - Learn 5,000 phrases. It is from the same people who made 6,000 words. Their format makes learning HU easier, IMHO.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 1st 2017 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Szeged (Post 12264246)
You wait until you get the sentence about "Do you see those dizzy apples"!!!!

A good alternative to Duolingo is - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...book.hungarian - Learn 5,000 phrases. It is from the same people who made 6,000 words. Their format makes learning HU easier, IMHO.

Had that one yesterday, also "the kindergarten teachers are flying over the mountains" & today's which was especially apt "Are you barking"!

Thanks also for the link, appreciated.

GBA77 Jan 10th 2018 8:03 pm

Not bad!

LiveTV.sc | Sky Sports Football Live Streaming