Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

E-Scooter rider ran over by coach and killed - 2020?

E-Scooter rider ran over by coach and killed - 2020?

Old May 11th 2022, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default E-Scooter rider ran over by coach and killed - 2020?

Yesterday on Hungarian TV news my wife mentioned about an e-scooter rider getting run over by a coach turning right about a year and half ago. Recently the coach driver appeared in court. He pleaded not guilty. According to the driver he was ahead of the e-scooter rider as he slowed down to turn right. The e-scooter rider appeared to be going straight ahead. There was a video shown but I didn't pay attention to whether the coach driver had indicated he was turning right. It was horrific watching it.
E-scooters are appearing everywhere now and often riders don't wear helmets. See quite a few in our village, including a whole family with very young kids, all riding e-scooters. In a way I think they're a brilliant idea but too many riders lack commonsense and ride far too fast. I find it takes away the pleasure of having a nice walk around the village with or without the dogs.
Old May 11th 2022, 9:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-Scooter rider ran over by coach and killed - 2020?

Yes, they have become a real problem in Budapest, going far too fast, seemingly oblivious to pedestrians and traffic. Obviously I don't know the circumstances of this case but from what I have seen, I can well imagine the scooter whizzing up alongside the coach...
Old May 11th 2022, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know the law on using e-scooters
Old May 11th 2022, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Anyone know the law on using e-scooters
Is there one? I know that (in the city) bikes on the pavement are limited to 10 Kph (ha, ha) - does that apply to e-scooters? Don't know!
Old May 11th 2022, 6:27 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Yes, they have become a real problem in Budapest, going far too fast, seemingly oblivious to pedestrians and traffic. Obviously I don't know the circumstances of this case but from what I have seen, I can well imagine the scooter whizzing up alongside the coach...

They are a real menace around Kaposvar and Pecs also. The lack of an engine noise makes them even harder to recognise than a motorcycle, at least you can hear most of them via either the thunderous sound of Harley the angry bumble bee sound of a scooter or the formula 1 scream of most sport bikes. If there are not any laws about the electric bikes their should be.
Old May 11th 2022, 6:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

They were an absolute menace in Charlotte, NC and many other US cities around 4 years ago - first e-bikes about 5-6 years ago, then e-scooters. There was some sort of turf war going one between 3-4 companies and there were literally piles of dozen of bikes, then scooters, at almost every junction. They blocked the pavements and were an unsightly mess, then, almost as suddenly as they appeared, the bikes disappeared, and now almost all the scooters have gone too. There are a few dotted around the city centre, so it wouldn't be difficult to find one if you wanted to rent one, but the past couple of times I was in Charlotte, I think I only saw one person actually riding a scooter. .... So it may be that the craze will pass and normality will return, it just might take a year or two.
Old May 11th 2022, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They were an absolute menace in Charlotte, NC and many other US cities around 4 years ago - first e-bikes about 5-6 years ago, then e-scooters. There was some sort of turf war going one between 3-4 companies and there were literally piles of dozen of bikes, then scooters, at almost every junction. They blocked the pavements and were an unsightly mess, then, almost as suddenly as they appeared, the bikes disappeared, and now almost all the scooters have gone too. There are a few dotted around the city centre, so it wouldn't be difficult to find one if you wanted to rent one, but the past couple of times I was in Charlotte, I think I only saw one person actually riding a scooter. .... So it may be that the craze will pass and normality will return, it just might take a year or two.
Let's hope so!