Driving Habits

Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving Habits

Not sure if this has been noted in other threads but I note some Hungarians, mostly males, on the motorway drive very close to or almost on the white line nearest the second lane. According to a Hungarian relative it's the male driver showing he's not going to be "intimidated" by other drivers.

My one concern about this kind of thing is it increases the risk of being hit from behind.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 12:23 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Habits

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Not sure if this has been noted in other threads but I note some Hungarians, mostly males, on the motorway drive very close to or almost on the white line nearest the second lane. According to a Hungarian relative it's the male driver showing he's not going to be "intimidated" by other drivers.

My one concern about this kind of thing is it increases the risk of being hit from behind.
I've never noticed it Fen. Driving through Germany I have noticed a testosterone fuelled style of driving - especially amongst Audi and BMW owners. In the UK, the driving standard has noticeably declined and I have had 3 very near misses on roundabouts with foreign trucks and a motorhome.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I find Hungarians to be very considerate drivers. Generally speaking they obey the road rules and keep within the speed limits. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the droves of Polish drivers who enter my part of Hungary via Kosice (Slovakia). They seem hell bent to getting to wherever in the shortest possible time with no consideration whatsoever for other drivers and as a result they take the most stupid risks!
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I've not noticed that either but it is probably over a year since I drove on a motorway. My car is not all that fast anyway so I tend to stick to the ordinary roads. Something I have noticed, not just in Hungary but in mainland Europe in general, people are less likely to park in stupid places. In UK, drivers will park anywhere there are not actually double yellow lines or some other restriction but elsewhere they do seem to give some thought as to whether they are obstructing traffic, endangering pedestrians etc.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:47 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
I find Hungarians to be very considerate drivers. Generally speaking they obey the road rules and keep within the speed limits. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the droves of Polish drivers who enter my part of Hungary via Kosice (Slovakia). They seem hell bent to getting to wherever in the shortest possible time with no consideration whatsoever for other drivers and as a result they take the most stupid risks!
Coincidentally, the near misses I have had with truckers have all been Polish drivers!
Old Sep 12th 2014, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Coincidentally, the near misses I have had with truckers have all been Polish drivers!
Maybe you should get one of those dashcams which are so popular in Russia! I actually came close to buying one recently because on a simple VERY short trip to an Asda branch in UK I encountered three near misses all down to the other driver not paying due care to oncoming traffic. One incident involved a car driving through a puddle which splashed the water all across the front and driver's side restricting my vision for a few seconds. When I could finally see where I was going I had drifted to the middle of the road and had to take evasive action to get back onto my side of the road!