Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

A Ditch Inspector comes to call.

A Ditch Inspector comes to call.

Old May 23rd 2013, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Ditch Inspector comes to call.

I have just received a notification from the Inspector of Public Spaces that the ditch outside of my property is in need of attention.
He is absolutely right it is, but in my defence I was actually out buying a strimmer when he left his note!

Only the official wording is intriguing, it states that I am responsible for 10 metres of public space from my property boundary, now since the road is less than 4 metres wide, does this mean that technically my nieghbour opposite could also be regarded as responsible for the ditch on my side of the road, or conversely me for his?
Since the regulation quoted only specifies 10 metres, with no proviso of a 50/50 split between properties or any mention of the public roadway being a limiting boundary, I am wondering just what can I be held accountable for!

It would also be interesting to know how many times a year the Inspector passes my house, since if I don't clean my ditch in 5 days they will do it, at a cost of course, but since labour related work is usually reasonably cheap in Hungary, I am left wondering if paying the council a couple of times a year would have been cheaper than investing in the strimmer I just bought!

All rather a moot point since I have the strimmer and obviously too much spare time on my hands to ponder the trivia's of officialdom, so I will just go clean my ditch!
Old May 23rd 2013, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A Ditch Inspector comes to call.

Originally Posted by duztee

It would also be interesting to know how many times a year the Inspector passes my house, since if I don't clean my ditch in 5 days they will do it, at a cost of course, but since labour related work is usually reasonably cheap in Hungary, I am left wondering if paying the council a couple of times a year would have been cheaper than investing in the strimmer I just bought!
Ouch. I would not tempt them with a fine. You can bet your bottom dollar (or forint) that the fine will more than outweigh the cost of the strimmer.
Old May 23rd 2013, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad I don't have a ditch! Some of the places I've seen have very narrow bridges to the driveway and I'm surprised I've not seen any cars in ditches.
Old May 23rd 2013, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I'm glad I don't have a ditch! Some of the places I've seen have very narrow bridges to the driveway and I'm surprised I've not seen any cars in ditches.

I put mine on one of my student's ditches
Just the front left wheel but had to get towed out....much to my student's amusement of course
Old May 23rd 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I have backed out of our drive and into the ditch on several occasions...we now have gravel down so I can see where I am going more clearly. My OH cannot say anything as he once backed into a tree outside our house in the UK....which had been there...ooooh say over 100 years
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Jobs is now done!
Mine is not much of a ditch, only half a metre deep and shallow sides, so no chance of loosing a car in it.

Clarification:- I am only responsible for 5 metres because I am within the town boundary, the full 10 metres are for those in a rural setting.