Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Did you know Verbena bonariensis can be over-wintered?

Did you know Verbena bonariensis can be over-wintered?

Old May 31st 2023, 11:19 am
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you know Verbena bonariensis can be over-wintered?

I didn't. I knew it was perennial but would just die in the Hungarian winter. With any luck self-seeding and coming back anew.

My dear departed MIL - she was great, as she didn't speak a word of English and all I had to do was give her the old puszi or two and pick her up from the HEV station now and then, she was great with our 3 kids - showed me how to overwinter muskatli and oleander.

So last year I had some Verbena bonariensis going in a container and though I'd chuck them in the cellar. I thought they'd died off - but still kept giving them a drop of water along with the oleander.

They came back great in March, with new shoots twice as good - plus started flowering today, which is pretty early.

Stock picture for anybody who doesn't already know Verbena bonariensis, it's a great flower because it sort of floats over the other flowers, climbs pretty high - and is pretty in its own way.