Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Currency exchanges

Currency exchanges

Old Jul 30th 2016, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

TheCrosbies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Currency exchanges

Hi everyone, the time for our trip is getting closer and we were just exploring all the options to get the best exchange rate at the moment, can anyone tell us the rates at local ATMs just now? And has anyone used a currency exchange company to transfer larger sums - ie. for a deposit etc.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbite101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Currency exchanges

Just got back after 2 weeks in Zala. I used my Supercard and was getting 375-377 forints to the pound. I also used my Santander 123 credit card with zero forex fee, but I can't seem to find the exchange rate used.
I have yet to transfer larger sums but had no issue spending £900 on a new boiler on the Supercard.
Also used an ATM at BUD when we arrived to get some cash for a taxi and got 372.97 forints to the pound.

Last edited by Razorbite101; Jul 30th 2016 at 7:02 pm. Reason: Additional info.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Razorbite101
Just got back after 2 weeks in Zala. I used my Supercard and was getting 375-377 forints to the pound. I also used my Santander 123 credit card with zero forex fee, but I can't seem to find the exchange rate used.
I have yet to transfer larger sums but had no issue spending £900 on a new boiler on the Supercard.
Also used an ATM at BUD when we arrived to get some cash for a taxi and got 372.97 forints to the pound.
Thanks razorbite101, I think we will probably do the same, looks like the best rate at the moment.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbite101 is an unknown quantity at this point

XE.com - GBP/HUF Chart
Slight spike this morning,but the foirnt seems to have dipped again the last few days,fingers crossed it will rise again before you go.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

In 2014 I used Currency Solutions to convert Forints into Croatian kuna to purchase my house in Croatia. I worked out that if I had accepted the exchange rate offered by the Hungarian bank the house would have cost me about 1000 Euros more.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 11:50 am
Just Joined

blackwaterman is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used UKForex a few times. It's one of the few regulated by the FCA (for what that's worth) and has saved me lots compared with just relying on banks. After the usual address checks etc. it all works well and simple to transfer GBP into an OTP account in my own case.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, we have now registered with UKForex (really helpful) and ordered a couple of super cards too. We went into some currency places yesterday, just out of interest and what a rip off - the best rate we were offered was with the Post Office - 322Huf!!!!! Nearly choked! So we won't be using them! Thanks again for your input.