Reload this Page >

Cost of living and visiting home

Cost of living and visiting home

Old May 6th 2014, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

tiney4000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living and visiting home

Hello!

I am new to this forum and hope to move to Budapest next year with my partner. We are currently saving up at the moment on our English wages.

I understand that my wages will be a lot less in Budapest but cost of living in also less. However what worries me is that I won't be able to afford plane tickets home to visit my family on my Hungarian wage Plane tickets cost me enough on my English wage, and I earn a good wage here!

Has anyone living in Hungary experienced this problem?
Old May 7th 2014, 8:17 am
Just Joined

soontobe13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living and visiting home

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. I don't post much, but like you I was worried about not being able to go home. Your salary in Budapest will really depend on what job you would be looking at doing and your qualifications. There are many international companies that pay well, in terms of Hungarian salaries.

The flight costs are not that bad if you can book as early as possible. For example I had to go home in Feb for a Funeral, I only had the choice of booking the flight 5 days before so It cost 50,000Huf, However my Boyfriend and I had booked flights for March, but back at xmas and it costs 60,000Huf for the both of us. I am also going home in August...which I booked last week and that is costing me 56,000Huf. All these flights are with easyjet-Gatwick.

Ryan air and Wizz tend to be cheaper, but they only fly to Stanstead and Luton which are the wrong sides of London for me.

Hope this helps.
Old May 7th 2014, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope they don't scrap any of the cheap flight services. My nearest airport is Zagreb but I heard the other day that Easyjet are stopping the service from Gatwick to Zagreb in October.
Old May 7th 2014, 12:48 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I just hope they don't scrap any of the cheap flight services. My nearest airport is Zagreb but I heard the other day that Easyjet are stopping the service from Gatwick to Zagreb in October.
Hopefully just for the winter I wonder?
Old May 8th 2014, 8:53 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

No John, the new management increased the airport charges and Easyjet said they would walk. I read talks are still ongoing though that usually doesn't mean much - as the Sarmellek saga confirms. We usually fly BA from Zagreb so it won't affect us too much.
Old May 8th 2014, 9:45 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
No John, the new management increased the airport charges and Easyjet said they would walk. I read talks are still ongoing though that usually doesn't mean much - as the Sarmellek saga confirms. We usually fly BA from Zagreb so it won't affect us too much.
Hope BA don't see the lack of competition as a chance to edge up their prices. Maybe there is enough competition from other airports in the region to stop it happening.

Your mention of Sarmellek reminds me of better times!
Old May 8th 2014, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I've never even looked at BA prices since the time i missed my charter flight back from Bulgaria and they were the only schedule airline with any seats available. This was January 2008 and Sofia to Edinburgh cost about £500. When we landed at Heathrow I saw the wrecked BA plane that had crashed there the previous day!
Old May 8th 2014, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

tiney4000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies! Yes, it is hard without knowing what job I will do there yet. The minimum wage for full time hours seems to be 100,000 huf - or so I read. So I am hoping I will at least earn that! I actually have a TEFL qualification but work in university admin at the moment, which I would rather pursue I think. I have read that TEFL teaching hours can be compettive and many teachers can only find part time hours.