Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance and Breakdown Cover - UK to Hungary

Car Insurance and Breakdown Cover - UK to Hungary

Old Feb 24th 2020, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance and Breakdown Cover - UK to Hungary

Response from Tempcover:"Unfortunately we cannot offer cover for vehicles that are being exported into the EU, so unfortunately we’ll be unable to help on this occasion."

Very disappointed so called SAGA. They said same thing! Looks like I might have to sell my car before we move over and hire a car/van for a week or so just to ensure everything goes smooth!

Last edited by FenTiger; Feb 24th 2020 at 8:58 am.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

One solution could be to leave your address as your current UK address and get the post office to forward your mail to your Hungarian address - something I suspect you will have to do anyway. You will probably have a similar problem with your bank as most banks now won't allow accounts without a UK address.
I can imagine that a similar insurance problem would arise if you went abroad for 1 year and rented your house out. Cars have to be registered and insured and MOT'd in the country of registration and this causes problems for long-term workers/visitors staying outside of the registration country or their car.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
One solution could be to leave your address as your current UK address and get the post office to forward your mail to your Hungarian address - something I suspect you will have to do anyway. You will probably have a similar problem with your bank as most banks now won't allow accounts without a UK address.
I can imagine that a similar insurance problem would arise if you went abroad for 1 year and rented your house out. Cars have to be registered and insured and MOT'd in the country of registration and this causes problems for long-term workers/visitors staying outside of the registration country or their car.
Mail Redirection - That's a thought.
Bank - I did inform my bank a few years ago I was planning to move to Hungary and they mentioned it would not be a problem but I will check with them again this week. If so, then I'll have to transfer all my money to a sterling bank account in Hungary.
Car registration, MOT, driving licence - I think three months will go quickly for us. My main priority once we are in Hungary is to be able to get around so if we rent a property too far from my wife's parents I can drive her to/from theirs.

No car - I'm sure we will find a way of getting around. As for shopping for food I think Auchan have a home delivery service so atleast I'll get my beer and whisky! If we end up renting a property in Miskolc near one of my wife's cousins and his wife I'm sure they'll be happy to help us out now and again.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I had a UK bank account for years - with a Hungarian address - and then the bank closed the account because I did not have a UK address ! I punted around quite a lot to get a new account and was always told 'no UK address = no account. I now have one with Santander International which is OK as it is in the BACS system so counts as a UK bank for UK money transfers.

Are you planning to import your car or buy a different one here? - Unless it is a special (or new(ish)) car it may not be worth importing but then if you use it here on UK plates without importing (I'm not sure for how long you can do this) you then have the problem of what to do with the car when you get another Hungarian car.

In your place I wouldn't tell the bank you have moved, just get the mail redirected and get banking sorted in your time frame - not your banks time frame. (perhaps ditto for the car insurance).

State pensions (DWP and DHSS) can be paid into foreign banks without charges however private pension operators often charge to transfer abroad (hence my need for the Santander account)
Old Feb 26th 2020, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

I had a UK bank account for years - with a Hungarian address - and then the bank closed the account because I did not have a UK address ! I punted around quite a lot to get a new account and was always told 'no UK address = no account. I now have one with Santander International which is OK as it is in the BACS system so counts as a UK bank for UK money transfers.

Are you planning to import your car or buy a different one here? - Unless it is a special (or new(ish)) car it may not be worth importing but then if you use it here on UK plates without importing (I'm not sure for how long you can do this) you then have the problem of what to do with the car when you get another Hungarian car.

In your place I wouldn't tell the bank you have moved, just get the mail redirected and get banking sorted in your time frame - not your banks time frame. (perhaps ditto for the car insurance).

State pensions (DWP and DHSS) can be paid into foreign banks without charges however private pension operators often charge to transfer abroad (hence my need for the Santander account)
Car - I've decided to sell it before I move over and use part of the proceeds to fund a hire car when I need one. I realise when it comes to scrapping the car I would get much less from the scrapyard. It is ten years old although it does have a ridiculously low mileage due to my other half deciding not to drive it as she felt it was too big(only 30mm longer than the previous car). I could probably change the address to a friend of mine but have not asked him yet.

Bank - I'm checking with them to find out if I can retain all my bank accounts.

State Pension/Benefits - That's good to know.

NHS Pension - I'm sure this should be okay but I will probably have to check.

Rented accomodation - we're really struggling to find somewhere. Main issue being NO pets and if no car won't be easy for my wife to travel back and forth to her parents. This is quite important as her father had to have one of his legs amputated a few days ago. He may have to have the other one amputated if there's no improvement in his health.
Old Feb 28th 2020, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi
If it a low mileage car it may be worth importing as the second hand car market here is (IMO) a bit like the wild west - full of cowboys. The down side of importing from the UK is that with the steering wheel on the wrong side it will be A) a bit more difficult to drive and B) have very little to no value when/if you come to sell it (probably scrap price only). But if SWMBO won't drive it then perhaps better to get another.

If you are going to hire a car then you can get insurance to replace the additional (extortionate) insurance car hire people charge you. The one I use is
https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/ (there are others) and the fee is 38 quid for a year and can be bought online. I think there is a limit of 180 days/year and 60 odd days for a rental period (so you rent in lots of 60 days). Much cheaper than getting the extra insurance from the car hire firm.

Re Pensions, - it has been said on here before, but anyway your NHS pension will be taxed in the UK but you get a UK personal allowance to help and the State OAP is free of tax as it is taxed here at a zero rate. (The reason the NHS pension is taxed in the UK is because it is a work related pension paid by the UK state - if it were a private pension it would also be tax free here)

Oh and I have just paid my car tax - 28 quid and my council tax - 25 quid, both sums for the ANNUAL amount !!

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Feb 28th 2020 at 1:12 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
If it a low mileage car it may be worth importing as the second hand car market here is (IMO) a bit like the wild west - full of cowboys. The down side of importing from the UK is that with the steering wheel on the wrong side it will be A) a bit more difficult to drive and B) have very little to no value when/if you come to sell it (probably scrap price only). But if SWMBO won't drive it then perhaps better to get another.

If you are going to hire a car then you can get insurance to replace the additional (extortionate) insurance car hire people charge you. The one I use is
https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/ (there are others) and the fee is 38 quid for a year and can be bought online. I think there is a limit of 180 days/year and 60 odd days for a rental period (so you rent in lots of 60 days). Much cheaper than getting the extra insurance from the car hire firm.

Re Pensions, - it has been said on here before, but anyway your NHS pension will be taxed in the UK but you get a UK personal allowance to help and the State OAP is free of tax as it is taxed here at a zero rate. (The reason the NHS pension is taxed in the UK is because it is a work related pension paid by the UK state - if it were a private pension it would also be tax free here)

Oh and I have just paid my car tax - 28 quid and my council tax - 25 quid, both sums for the ANNUAL amount !!
Car - Mileage on my car is 26,000 miles! Think it should be easy to sell in the UK and as mentioned I should get more from the proceeds in the UK less hiring a car until we move over. I think my wife's driving days are over. She has always been a nervous driver and where we are living now only drove local.

NHS Pension - It was only recently I realised this would be taxed in the UK. I'm quite annoyed with myself on this because I obviously hadn't researched this issue thoroughly enough.