Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

The big question...

The big question...

Old Sep 3rd 2021, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The big question...

I'd advise you to look at the entry requirements for Hungary before thinking further about moving here.
I know the feeling about being disillusioned with the UK.
If you do move here you'd have to decide whether you want to fully, partially integrate or not. That will be your cue where you'll choose to live.
My wife is Hungarian and I've been visiting since 2003 so before I moved here permanently a year ago knew enough what to expect. Over the years I've built up a small circle of friends via my Hungarian wife who kept in touch with them during the thirty years she lived in the UK. My Hungarian is very basic but Hungarian sign language a lot better. I'm actually deaf hence use sign language with our friends.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Ragingrover is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all and everyone for taking the time to reply to me. It's all of value and appreciated. I'm going to do some more research and getting travelling again when it's all a bit easier. A few visits required apart from the obvious Budapest, any capitol city gives a single distorted vision of any country. Astana (as was) is a great example or capitol and country being at polar opposites ! lol
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Don't hesitate to ask any questions no matter if it's a bit daft or indicates you haven't a clue. If it wasn't for this forum I'd be really struggling to find my feet here. I'd be absolutely lost! At the end of the day it's best to do your own homework and not rely on Hungarian family or friends.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ragingrover
Thanks to all and everyone for taking the time to reply to me. It's all of value and appreciated. I'm going to do some more research and getting travelling again when it's all a bit easier. A few visits required apart from the obvious Budapest, any capitol city gives a single distorted vision of any country. Astana (as was) is a great example or capitol and country being at polar opposites ! lol
If you settled in Budapest you run the risk of being accused of being "a member of the metropolitan elite" or worse!
Old Sep 4th 2021, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I think this is another hangover from the communist days, a need to acquire & hoard anything & everything, nothing dishonest just an inbuilt insecurity. I was always amused, looking at apartments, to see the cupboards absolutely rammed with stuff, and the pride with which owners would show these off (and the rooms were often rammed as well).
Friends of ours have two deep freezers, three fridges. No idea why and I wouldn't be surprised if they were all crammed! Atleast when we visit a cold beer is guaranteed! At this point in time only three people live in the house. So the above about insecurity is probably the reason why.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

I have found asking Hungarians for information a bit of a waste of time. Before I moved here I wanted to freely travel on the bus up to the town centre. No one could tell me where to find the timetable and pricing on the Internet. I also asked about prepaid tickets but zilch! After moving here and not yet having a car I decided I really got to find this information. Found it in the end for bus routes, times and prices.

I've asked friends about getting an external water tap installed and access to water from a drilled well. Nothing has happened. So our poor lawn was almost wiped out in large patches. Thanks to the recent rains it's been saved.

Sometimes trying to do something is a bit like Snakes & Ladders .... you get so far then crash back several rows down. Eventually you hit the jackpot and you get there. Patience is the name of the game.

The quote above about British Expats having alot of baggage and drama ... I'm thinking is that me? Hahaha. There's baggage and drama amongst our Hungarian friends too.

Old Sep 4th 2021, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I've asked friends about getting an external water tap installed and access to water from a drilled well. Nothing has happened. So our poor lawn was almost wiped out in large patches. Thanks to the recent rains it's been saved.
If you want to talk about wells that is a different thread. - I have 3 and no mains water.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I have found asking Hungarians for information a bit of a waste of time. Before I moved here I wanted to freely travel on the bus up to the town centre. No one could tell me where to find the timetable and pricing on the Internet. I also asked about prepaid tickets but zilch! After moving here and not yet having a car I decided I really got to find this information. Found it in the end for bus routes, times and prices.

Sometimes trying to do something is a bit like Snakes & Ladders .... you get so far then crash back several rows down. Eventually you hit the jackpot and you get there. Patience is the name of the game.

The quote above about British Expats having alot of baggage and drama ... I'm thinking is that me? Hahaha. There's baggage and drama amongst our Hungarian friends too.
I so totally agree with you Fen!
Hungarians always 'know' a friend who can get something cheaper or to arrange the job for you, but they never actually materialise.
My latest one was mentioning I was thinking about getting an Air conditioning unit, and a friend immediately said they have a cousin who works in the industry and can get a unit cheaper and install it no problem. Just as well fitting A/C was only a passing thought because have not seen hide nor hair of said cousin.
No matter what your plan they will always have a better solution that then fails to materialise.
Far easier just to muddle through in my own way, I find searching the UK websites for a produce, then when I have manufacturer and item name it is easy to look for on Hungarian websites, rather than trying to find the correct search term in Hungarian.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 9:40 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

No FenTiger the mention of expats having a lot of baggage and drama is in no way pointed at anyone whom is an active participant of the Hungarian sub section here on BE. I know a couple of Americans that fits, a couple of Brits, a German and 2 Dutch with a lot of drama and baggage. I think really if one is to be long term successful and happy as an expat one should not only surround oneself with English speakers only. I have made friends with probably 15-20 Hungarians in my village and surrounding area. I can barely speak with most of them but they are neighbourly and helpful to know at times and we help each other out.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
No FenTiger the mention of expats having a lot of baggage and drama is in no way pointed at anyone whom is an active participant of the Hungarian sub section here on BE. I know a couple of Americans that fits, a couple of Brits, a German and 2 Dutch with a lot of drama and baggage. I think really if one is to be long term successful and happy as an expat one should not only surround oneself with English speakers only. I have made friends with probably 15-20 Hungarians in my village and surrounding area. I can barely speak with most of them but they are neighbourly and helpful to know at times and we help each other out.
Which is why I chose a region where there are few expats of any nationality. As the one and only Brit for at least 50 km in any direction, people know me and will go out of their way to help me if necessary. I'm also lucky because the dogs trainer speaks perfect English and will translate for me or make telephone calls on my behalf. . Other than that I can manage quite well on my own.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 10:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know any expats, all our friends are Hungarian.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I was joking.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 11:22 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I was joking.

I know, I could not resist making a reply though!

Old Sep 8th 2021, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the process of looking to move as well.

The UK is becoming an overpriced dystopian nightmare, with the government wanting to interfere in every aspect of your life. I've already decided I can't stand living here anymore, so just trying to make as much progress with investigating Hungary as possible. I'm almost certain that Hungary is for me. I want a quiet rural life and need a very large property that I couldn't even dream of owning in the UK. I've already put about 200-250 hours into learning Hungarian, so I guess that's happening regardless.

Travel restrictions make everything more frustrating and expensive than it needs to be at the moment, so I can't wait until the day when restrictions are lifted (if ever)

I noticed a couple of people posted earlier in the thread to not expect Hungarians to reply to e-mails. I have certainly had this experience, even when trying to communicate in Hungarian. I would say there is a 1 in 10 chance that a real estate agent will reply to you if you try to contact them, and if you ask them ANY question that involves them having to actually find out an answer for you, don't expect to ever hear from them again, even if you try and chase them up. I have had success in tracking down directly the owners of a couple of properties, and they were much more helpful and willing to answer questions than the real estate agents.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're not the first to consider moving here post Brexit. If we were still in EU your journey here would be so much easier.
You need to decide on your location then from there find your ideal property and land. As you're coming from a non-EU country there will be restrictions on what you can buy. You will have to ask the local mayor or local government, can't remember which, you want to buy a property and land. My wife being Hungarian we went down that route meaning we didn't have to ask.
Property prices vary depending on region, proximity to larger towns, in our case we are near Miskolc and property prices are soaring due to it's proximity.
larity.
Have you checked out the situation for driving licence? I changed mine before 31/12/2020. I'm not sure about post brexit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.