Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

About to purchase :-)

About to purchase :-)

Old Apr 28th 2013, 7:52 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to purchase :-)

Originally Posted by dave1982
continuing in this thread through fear of starting another similar one. Myself and partner have looked endlessly at properties in the Zala county region. We have seen some very nice properties, but would hope any expat members could advise or share their experience of the settlements Nemesbuk, Karmacs and Rezi. Are these "good" or Not so good areas to be interested in. Any feedback would be grately appreciated.
I will post a detailed reply on the three villages but time is an issue at the moment as exams are looming. Will try and do so tomorrow.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

dave1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Andika for your offer. Depends on whether your there when we are over.

We will be arriving in Budapest on 30 June. Two nights spent there, then down to Heviz from 2nd to 14th July. Will be based there and will try to get as many viewings in, which I hope to arrange with estate agents before we leave the UK. At least giving them an idea of our price range, areas of interest and type of property. We have already made a shortlist of 8 properties we are interested in and added them to our "favourites" on each site.

We would hope to possibly hook up with Balaton Brits members who I believe meet up every 2nd Tuesday of the month.

We have looked at various "ingatlan" sites both local to the areas we are interested in and the national"ingatlan.com" site. (Useful using the map to locate the different settlements)

My partner Helen is very keen to buy and settle everything in the short time were over but I'm a bit worried of rushing things. So I need to get as much done before we leave. Not sure about the cash transactions whether I can transfer directly from Uk to Hungary

RH thanks in anticipation of your info. I will be contacting you through your website soon, as I will need some help with the buying process and would be grateful for the help. Not sure whether I'll need to set up a Hungarian bank account or not.

Many Thanks

Dave
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Luck with your search - if you look on the site you will see most of your queries have already been answered quite fully re bank account and purchase.

Why don't you employ Rural to look for a property for you - she has come highly recommended.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:35 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave1982
RH thanks in anticipation of your info. I will be contacting you through your website soon, as I will need some help with the buying process and would be grateful for the help. Not sure whether I'll need to set up a Hungarian bank account or not.

Many Thanks

Dave
Hi Dave, managed to come up for air!

Obviously, the following info is my personal opinion and others might disagree, I know each of the villages and opinions are base on personal experience, what I have heard and statistics. The village has all amenities.

Rezi, nice village and close to the lake though it can get snowed in when there is heavy snow. I have viewed many properties here and most of the "renovation projects" suffered from very bad damp problems.
Karmacs is not a village that appeals to me, it is purely personal of course but I don't get a good feeling about it. Again, it has all amenities. Karmacs is slightly cheaper than Rezi or Nemesbuk though all three are more expensive than villages to the West of the lake or further North.
Nemesbuk is probably my favourite out of the three. The old village has a pretty stone bridge and the newer part of the village (on the Heviz Rd) has some unusual buildings including, a round wooden house which looks like a teapot! It has the advantage of being minutes from Heviz (thus the higher prices) which has more going on during the winter months, unlike many lakeside villages which tend to close for the winter.
None of them are "bad villages", crime rate in Rezi is slightly higher, probably due to proximity to the lake and the number of empty foreign owned holiday homes. Crime overall isn't a serious problem though being close to the tourist areas, it is twice as high as the regions to the north and 25% higher than regions to the west.

You don't need a bank account to complete the purchase though it can be useful for setting up direct debits for your utilities and the process of purchasing is really straight forward and can be completed quickly.
Hope this helps?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:36 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by capricorn2013
Good Luck with your search - if you look on the site you will see most of your queries have already been answered quite fully re bank account and purchase.

Why don't you employ Rural to look for a property for you - she has come highly recommended.
Thanks Capricorn, that's really nice of you

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Apr 29th 2013 at 9:52 am.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:06 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Andika
Hi,

We have a cottage at Szigliget. We spend a couple of weeks there every summer. Let us know when you are around.

Andi
Hi Andika, welcome to the BE forums, I'm the concierge for the Hungarian section so if there is anything I can do to help you, please do not hesitate in contacting me.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

dave1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick responses. RH, just been looking at Zalacsany and it looks like a nice village with the lake nearby (saw video of plans to develop lower shore with a wellness complex. But guess that fell by the wayside with the credit crunch kicking in) and near to the kehidakustany spa town any thoughts on that one. I would agree with you on Karmach. from my google street view down the main street I wasn't impressed. Looked at a property in Zalachany and they claimed the zala river was 150 mtrs away. Can't for the sake of me locate the river looking on google earth. Just also found some footage on flooding in the balaton area. Mostly near shoreline. Appears water table is that high a shoreline property's well was full up to the brim.
You mentioning the damp problems.....wouldn't want to make the mistake of purchasing in an area prone to flooding.....I guess details would show up on a survey?

Regarding security of property while absent. I would guess shutters are not really a big enough deterrent. I have seen more remote properties up in the hills but can't imagine how you can make them secure enough. Have any had any experiences of how best to secure properties besides fitting an alarm and cctv which in itself would draw attention, or do people just rely on locals to keep an eye out.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I would have liked to buy a remote place in open countryside or at the end of a village but decided that such a place could prove too vulnerable if I was away in UK or somewhere. I actually ended up right in the middle of a village and have had virtually no problems re. security despite several long absences. A fence with locked gates helps. It is also handy if someone can take the post in for you as it is put in an external box rather than going direct into the house like in UK. I recently got back from a 3 week trip to UK to find my box bulging with post that had been screwed up and soaked with rain.
Old May 28th 2013, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

davidszigliget is an unknown quantity at this point

Andika - interested to see you're in Szigliget. So are we - near the marina. We'll be there from the mid June. It would be pleasant to make contact!
Old May 28th 2013, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Fid, don't know if your house is surrounded by land or if you have any exterior walls which are on the road, because it is possible to buy 'through the wall' post boxes, so your mail will accumulated inside the house.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Fid, don't know if your house is surrounded by land or if you have any exterior walls which are on the road, because it is possible to buy 'through the wall' post boxes, so your mail will accumulated inside the house.
Thanks for the suggestion but no chance:

Place is not for sale by the way, it's an old photo.
Old May 29th 2013, 8:41 am
I bite my thumb at thee

You can have your post held at the post office for periods of time whilst you are away, we know a couple of holiday home owners who do this, they then collect their mail on their return.
Old May 29th 2013, 8:55 am
Just Joined

gandida is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr87009
Hi all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been a 'lurker' on this forum for quite a while now and enjoy reading all the lively discussions. I've been visiting Hungary for the last 12 years or so and as a family we've been to Balaton for the last few summers, staying in a variety of towns around the Lake. We have Hungarian friends and they are now helping us to negotiate buying a small house near to theirs in Badacsonytördemic.

Regards,

Matthew
Dear all in HUngary-we've been back here for almost a year now (myself, herself and the wee one) and I'm trying to post a classified up but for whatever reason it isn't working....it is a housing ad. Any advice on what to do-have tried multi times but to no avail. Egeszseg!
Old May 29th 2013, 9:01 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi there and welcome back. Just so as not to take this off on a tangent, you can post here regards any site problems and somebody should get back to you quickly.
Old May 29th 2013, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

gandida is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi there and welcome back. Just so as not to take this off on a tangent, you can post here regards any site problems and somebody should get back to you quickly.
Thanks very much-couldn't find that link for the life of me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.