Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

2021: Rough renovation Price guides

2021: Rough renovation Price guides

Old Jan 18th 2021, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2021: Rough renovation Price guides

Think this is the year we have to start thinking about exploiting the CSOK and it's special rules.

So. This house. Absolutely needs insulation, new windows and the external door replaced. Since we moved here in the winter there is a persistent damp problem that I am pretty sure is condensation. This is leading to the obvious problem!

So a 71 m2 area brick house with rooms about 2.5m high, raised on a platform about 1.3 m from ground level. Soviet Army built apparently.

So there is a special renovation loan for 6 million where if all the mandated work is completed within a year 50% is refunded. Being realistic how far is this likely to get us? Thinking larger jobs, such as the insulation etc. Internally parts of the flooring and a general repaint will be required. That is not so bad........ What with the plague I presume internal work would maybe need to wait.

Owned outright so no mortgage and no bank to OK work with. I presume any attic conversion would be out of budget. House does feel small, but I suppose the kids will do that.
Old Jan 18th 2021, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2021: Rough renovation Price guides

First thing to do is to see what the loan requires i.e. does the house need to finish up with a minimum standard of energy efficiency. (what energia teljesítmény is needed at the end of the works (UK = EPC or energy performance certificate)) Whilst I don't know for sure I would expect any government funds to be linked to reducing energy consumption. If there are demands like that then understand the demands and see what needs to be done to get to the standard - which can be prioritised to get to the standard whilst achieving as much of your list of wants as possible

If the roof has no felt under the tiles then IMO that would be a good start. - I recently retiled a roof on a 70m2 building with some supplementary timbers for 1.3M. With a good roof a later attic conversion is a DIY job especially if the required loft insulation is put between and under the joists at the outset rather than on top of the ceiling. (advice on ceiling strength if the ceiling construction is known)
External wall insulation is somewhere in the region of 8 - 10,000HUF/m2 depending on local labour costs.
Central heating upgrade - do you have gas or can you get it? New boiler say 500,000HUF but depends on ancillary work needed.

If you go for it then you should start now and when you have found a builder make sure he understands (in writing) that the project has a time limit of what ever and must be done by that date. It will be a bit more expensive if you get a builder to do all the work with him sub-contracting where needed rather than getting the individual trades yourself because then you only have one person to kick for slippages without the opportunity to pass the buck:

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Jan 18th 2021 at 9:59 am.
Old Jan 18th 2021, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2021: Rough renovation Price guides

OK for the roof that gives us something to start with. Need to start calculations for the surface area and roof area. We know a roofer locally but not sure of other trades.

Timbers seem OK, all nice and dry but getting it ready to do a loft conversion might be something we do need to look at. It is a standard ring roof of what look like decent wood. Whether the pitch of the roof etc would need changing maybe. The attic is tiled but not clear whether it is concrete or not! Setting up a raised floor with insulation underneath might be an idea and do wood based internal walls. Stairway will be the fun and expensive part as a hole will need to be made................

We have had the 2 child csok on the purchase price of the house and have a meeting with the bank to prove we still live here next week so can start asking a few questions. It was just something my wife found. The damp problem needs sorting to be honest. But, in our price range there was always going to be problems I suppose.

Luckily we have mains gas, which is surprising given how far away from the road we are. Currently have gas convectors and a cserepkalhya.