Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

What makes Goa so Special for you?

What makes Goa so Special for you?

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

dickylewis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What makes Goa so Special for you?

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi oldman,

Who knows what may transpire.

My best indian electrical story.

When we were restoring the house we had to replace some tiles in the kitchen.

These were uniquely indian tiles, if you can imagine a tile made like cast pebble dash, cement with pebbles sticking out and then ground down flat in a machine at the factory so they look a bit like marble.

Once laid they need a final grinding in situ, but first you have to lay them relatively flat, so after three attempts the contractor finally gets them laid fairly level in the kitchen. On the due day the subcontractor arrives to polish them, with a machine that looks like it came from a scrap yard.

As you say, no plug, push two wires into the socket with any sharp object, bit of wood , nail etc. and off we go.

To start the machine (that had an external flywheel) the gnarled old subby scooted his even more gnarled flip flop covered foot across the top of the flywheel and whirr, whirr, around go the grinding wheels. Throw some water down and some form of abrasive and we are in business. Subby marches up and down grinding away.

The electrical feed cable to the machine is joined in several places and covered in insulation tape and is trailing in the mud which has now been created by the water , grinding paste and residue from the tiles.

So far so good, then the trip switch knocks of all the juice in the house, cuz other trades are also working on other things and weve got overload.

Stop all other trades working, flick the trip back, gnarled old foot scoots the flywheel, whirr whirr and off we go again.Ten minutes go by, more water more abrasive, more mud, juice trips off again. Slight concern on the face of gnarled old subby, but steeped in fatalism he flicks up the trip again , scoot scoot , whirr whirr etc.

Douglas moves on to other things, the trip goes off again and this time no whirr whirr . After a few minutes douglas sees subby approaching the trip switch box with a piece of bare wire about six inches long, that he has prepared earlier.

Douglas arrives at the box just after he does and asks what goes, subby who is from darkest india and no one on site can understand, indicates by sign language that he is about to by pass the trip switch so he can get on with his work. Douglas has visions of wet floors, joined cable, gnarled old feet and 220 volts coming together to smoke subby.

No way says douglas in whatever bits of hindi and body language he can contrive on the spur of the moment. Subby looks puzzled, but accepts that douglas doesnt understand the complexities of electricity like he does, clutches the piece of wire tightly, trips the switch up once again, scoot scoot whirr whirr and were off grinding again.

Douglas has to go out to panjim for the rest of the day and leaves them to it, when he comes back , the kitchen is almost finished, there is a shiny piece of wire overriding the trip switch, subby waggles his head and knowingly smiles .

What does douglas know.

Douglas

Sorry for calling you an Arse in previous threads; your tale of electrics made me laugh to tears, even funnier as i imagine it is pretty much true. I am afraid your memories of Goa have made the risk even more bearable and I am looking forward to an adventure. Let me know if you are ever in Cornwall.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

What makes goa special, even to douglas?

Douglas lived in a village inland and only rarely visited the coastal belt after the first 6 months, so my perspective is a little different.
Maybe could go on, a bit random, but a douglas perspective nevertheless.

regards

douglas
Hi Douglas
Great post, but still in bullet point format and yet you wax so lyrical
Regards
Tony P
Old Jun 4th 2007, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dickylewis
Douglas

Sorry for calling you an Arse in previous threads; your tale of electrics made me laugh to tears, even funnier as i imagine it is pretty much true. I am afraid your memories of Goa have made the risk even more bearable and I am looking forward to an adventure. Let me know if you are ever in Cornwall.

Hi dicky,

Thanks for that, absolutely true story, no embellishment, not funny at the time though.

Long time since i have been to cornwall, same to you if you are ever in malaysia.

regards

douglas
Old Jun 4th 2007, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TONY P
Hi Douglas
Great post, but still in bullet point format and yet you wax so lyrical
Regards
Tony P
Hi Tony,

Thanks.

Douglas does have a soul, maybe thats why he went there in the first place.

regards

douglas
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Douglas

Hi Dicky,
Nice apologie, yes I reckon Douglas is trying to supress a deep undying love for Goa despite what he has been through there.
His description of Goa on page 1 of this thread is so heartfelt that............well you just cant write like that and not have love in your heart for the place.

Dont supress it Douglas, let it flow man.
(I feel like a hippie saying that)

Regards,Love and Peace,

Remy
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TONY P
Hi All
First great story Douglas anyway SHOPS in Panjim, you have to walk and search but there are 3 roads that run parallel to the road by the river and we wander up and down them (I always thought women were supposed to follow behind in India, I end up feeling like an old barge in tow)
Have found some great shops and some awful ones, can't tell you road names at the moment, can't find the map, there are some 'malls' but nothing posh. Hate designer shops. We had the same trouble in Margao couldn't find anything.
Like wandering around Mapusa market and Panjim market even the fish and meat bits, and then go for a good cold beer.
We hope to get out to live there later this year just trying to set up the 'Partnership/Company', sell the house (proving difficult). All the normal things that you have to do to satisfy yourself at least that you have done it as correctly as possible and cut the roots with the UK.
Regards All
Hi Tony,
If your in Goa around December time then will look you up for a drink.
There is quite a few on this forum who will be in Goa around Nov/Dec 07.

Regards,
Remy
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

I will be sat in a bar, near the Renton Manor, around 28 November, clutching a copy of the Times so you guys can recognise me. I look a bit like Steve McQeen and my wife looks like Anthea Turner. Please feel free to send the waitor our way with a few stiff G&Ts.

ps Most is true appart from the Bollox about me looking like Steve McQ!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Dicky,
Nice apologie, yes I reckon Douglas is trying to supress a deep undying love for Goa despite what he has been through there.
His description of Goa on page 1 of this thread is so heartfelt that............well you just cant write like that and not have love in your heart for the place.

Dont supress it Douglas, let it flow man.
(I feel like a hippie saying that)

Regards,Love and Peace,

Remy
Hi Remy,

Sure i loved goa , thats why i went to live there, i am sure i still do deep down.

But like everything else that is worthwhile, its a relationship, its a now time scale relationship and it is governed by the forces of yin and yang.

You cant ignore yin and yang, but what you can do though is assess the percentages of yin and yang flowing at the time , they are not often 50/50.

If you have to much pain and not enough peace, you have imbalance ie are either in the the wrong relationship or the wrong place.

Thats how i see it, there are other loves to be experienced elsewhere.

kind regards

douglas
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Remy,

Sure i loved goa , thats why i went to live there, i am sure i still do deep down.

But like everything else that is worthwhile, its a relationship, its a now time scale relationship and it is governed by the forces of yin and yang.

You cant ignore yin and yang, but what you can do though is assess the percentages of yin and yang flowing at the time , they are not often 50/50.

If you have to much pain and not enough peace, you have imbalance ie are either in the the wrong relationship or the wrong place.

Thats how i see it, there are other loves to be experienced elsewhere.

kind regards

douglas

Hi Douglas,

Nicely Put.
Ill have to use this yin yang, to much pain not enough peace thing in my divorce case.

Remy
Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Will my wife try to divorce me when she sees my view of heaven in Goa?????????? No bloody Yin or Yan for me I'm sure.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Will my wife try to divorce me when she sees my view of heaven in Goa?????????? No bloody Yin or Yan for me I'm sure.

Dont jest if she dosent divorce you then she might just kill you.

Remy.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Suicide is painless....... would make a cracking song!! Sadly Mrs DL is fabulous and would not see me off: I know cos she told me when I signed the house in Cornwall over to her to be tax efficient
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Douglas,

Nicely Put.
Ill have to use this yin yang, to much pain not enough peace thing in my divorce case.

Remy
Hi Remy,

Divorce is painful on both sides.

Try buddhism, metaphysics and the concept of "the self is an illusion"

So if the self (ego) does not exist.

Then nothing matters that you think matters, including pain and peace.

You just are.

douglas
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Remy,

Divorce is painful on both sides.

Try buddhism, metaphysics and the concept of "the self is an illusion"

So if the self (ego) does not exist.

Then nothing matters that you think matters, including pain and peace.

You just are.

douglas

Hi Douglas,

The divorce thing was tongue in cheek but i like your concept nevertheless. I think as the government are finding out, the uk is developing a drink problem. Instead of metaphysics,buddhism and yin yang, most people are now just getting pissed to deal with their inner emotions and problems. Working longer,rising house costs,mounting debts and of course shitty weather all has its part to play in our "developed free world" as of course does selfishness, discontentment and greed.
Eh were am i going with this? I better stop now.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Douglas,

The divorce thing was tongue in cheek but i like your concept nevertheless. I think as the government are finding out, the uk is developing a drink problem. Instead of metaphysics,buddhism and yin yang, most people are now just getting pissed to deal with their inner emotions and problems. Working longer,rising house costs,mounting debts and of course shitty weather all has its part to play in our "developed free world" as of course does selfishness, discontentment and greed.
Eh were am i going with this? I better stop now.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Hi Remy,

Sorry, i tend to take things at face value, i hope you dont ever get divorced, but as you say if you do, these things help.

I cant really identify with the britain you describe as i am almost 62 now and left uk 2 1/2 years ago.

I went through getting pissed on my way to buddhism and metaphysics, that happened around middle age. It takes time.

As a species, we are unquestionably on the path to self destruction, so maybe it doesnt matter if you buy or rent in goa , or maybe goa doesnt even exist?

regards

douglas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.