Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

SUNBEDS, SHACKS, PRICES.

SUNBEDS, SHACKS, PRICES.

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:21 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default SUNBEDS, SHACKS, PRICES.

Just wondering what is the position on the beach regarding sunbeds.
Have heard that some shacks have put up their prices by 40% also large Kingfisher up to 120 rups.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: SUNBEDS, SHACKS, PRICES.

At the mo the sunbed situation is ridiculous.

Yes , only 5 beds per shack and only 1 bed under an umbrella.......pairs of beds not allowed.

So .....to combat this the shacks are putting 1 bed, 1 plastic chair and a mattress on the sand under each of the 5 permitted shades.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 5:02 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msj5
At the mo the sunbed situation is ridiculous.

Yes , only 5 beds per shack and only 1 bed under an umbrella.......pairs of beds not allowed.

So .....to combat this the shacks are putting 1 bed, 1 plastic chair and a mattress on the sand under each of the 5 permitted shades.
Ridiculous !
And they claim they WANT tourists?????????????

Dread - x
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: SUNBEDS, SHACKS, PRICES.

Originally Posted by noni
Just wondering what is the position on the beach regarding sunbeds.
Have heard that some shacks have put up their prices by 40% also large Kingfisher up to 120 rups.
There lots of places without sunbeds or as they are called in Morjim sinbeds..and all prices even in the market have risen. BUT its all relative as you know and for us its still cheap..less than two euros for eight prawns which would cost us 20 in Spain..
Old Nov 25th 2012, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
There lots of places without sunbeds or as they are called in Morjim sinbeds..and all prices even in the market have risen. BUT its all relative as you know and for us its still cheap..less than two euros for eight prawns which would cost us 20 in Spain..
Only once bought prawns in the market in Goa, took me so long to peel and de-vein them and they made my hands so smelly that I decided to only eat prawns when someone else cooks them ie in a restaurant.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by k800mer
Only once bought prawns in the market in Goa, took me so long to peel and de-vein them and they made my hands so smelly that I decided to only eat prawns when someone else cooks them ie in a restaurant.
I just cook them whole in hot butter and garlic for a minute and put them on the plate..simples. Its easy to peel them when they are cooked and I do not bother to devein them..they are already devine!
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
I just cook them whole in hot butter and garlic for a minute and put them on the plate..simples. Its easy to peel them when they are cooked and I do not bother to devein them..they are already devine!
Thats absolutely crazy and your taking your arse in your hands so-to- speak.Easiest way to get diarrhea that i know off.What i use is a small broken kitchen knife that has a small blade.Just break the head off under running water and cut them along the spine and her presto the black stomach tube comes out........what your eating is its anal tube mate.Watch how the Goans do it.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:48 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Sunbed debacle:

Here's a quote that my Goan friend sent to me today :

" all shacks are only allowed 5 sunbeds and the private shacks arent even allowed one!!
but its good in a way cos the beach is not so crowded and most of the brown knicker boys sit inside the shack instead of showing off their turtle heads!!!
one good thing! "

(My first thought - hope they don;t sit there in their brown pants!!)

Dread - x
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: SUNBEDS, SHACKS, PRICES.

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
Thats absolutely crazy and your taking your arse in your hands so-to- speak.Easiest way to get diarrhea that i know off.What i use is a small broken kitchen knife that has a small blade.Just break the head off under running water and cut them along the spine and her presto the black stomach tube comes out........what your eating is its anal tube mate.Watch how the Goans do it.
OK will give it go next time..the only time I got the runs was when we went to La Plage..
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:39 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Sunbed debacle:

" all shacks are only allowed 5 sunbeds and the private shacks arent even allowed one!!
but its good in a way cos the beach is not so crowded and most of the brown knicker boys sit inside the shack instead of showing off their turtle heads!!!
one good thing! "

Dread - x
Had an email from my friends out at Candolim - Saying half a dozen of the long termers (been going 15 - 20 years) are saying this is the last year, due to the sunbed/shack situation - their holidays are sitting on the beach soaking up the sun.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Had an email from my friends out at Candolim - Saying half a dozen of the long termers (been going 15 - 20 years) are saying this is the last year, due to the sunbed/shack situation - their holidays are sitting on the beach soaking up the sun.
And they can`t even get 2 sun beds side by side if their shack is abiding by the rules!!!!!!
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Sunbed debacle:

one good thing! "

Dread - x
The so called private shacks in Colva have at least 30 beds out each,so it all depends where you are in Goa.

John
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:31 pm

Chaos at Calangute beach as tourism official confiscates shack material

27 Nov: Navhind Times. Confusion was witnessed at Gaurawaddo in Calangute on Monday afternoon after around 35 armed policemen arrived at the beach to confiscate some beach beds… However, the Calangute MLA, Mr Michael Lobo rushed to the site and convinced the police that such an action was totally not acceptable

www.goanvoice.org.uk
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:50 pm

Just seen this on another site. very worrying

No word re sunbeds here as yet. Around Goan Heritage shacks at lunchtime the tourist officials arrived with police backup to check shacks Mayhem commenced ,people chucked off beds, those on mattresses who had small table to keep their stuff off the sand had them removed, not allowed. Most shacks had put reclining type chairs just outside the shack doors so people could sit in the sun were told, not allowed, get them inside.to cap it all along the beach towards Fishermans shack they decided to get a lorry down to the beach and remove some sunbeds, the shack owners blocked the access and a standoff with the police ensued. Local politicians were called by shackowners to defuse what was an ugly situation. In the press today, reporting on the First Ministers visit to revue the bed situation last week, all he seemed interested in was shacks having large no smoking signs and a smoking area in shack!! You could not make it up. Even if the twenty bed rule comes in it seems that their is going to be a policy of hassling the shacks at every turn,why nobody knows, but it seems this year there is definitely, from on high, an ante shack policy
I,ve since spoken to people who witnessed the standoff. It was in the lane beside the Goan heritage hotel. There was about 30 odd police the usual wrecking crew ,sunbeds were smashed before the shackstaff rallied and stopped it.there was a female senior member of the tourism board supervising the operation, people who witnessed it say she has been in charge of other instances in the past. A shack is also said to have been smashed up but whether thats true I couldn't say. All in all, if a relaxation of sunbeds numbers is iniment they have a funny way of showing it. The situation year on year gets worse and worse, you never know what they will do next. We for one will most likely call it a day on Goa and that seems to be the general view of most people I meet. The police presence today and their actions are really not conducive to a relaxing holiday and for us enough is enough.
Three shacks demolished yesterday at Candolim, also several given seven day warnings to reduce size or face the same fate. The tourism board are upping heir drive against shacks this year and i fear that it will continue whether the sunbed numbers are increased or not. They are definatley working to an agenda.Yesterdays police presence was uncalled fo as none of the shacks involved had lotsof beds out it was that they wre just near an access road to get the lorry down to cart bed away from behind their shack. It is much worse tha last year, whether the change of goverment has caused this, who knows, but its not a pleasant atmosphere on the beach at present
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:45 pm

Just seen this on another site. very worrying

No word re sunbeds here as yet. Around Goan Heritage shacks at lunchtime the tourist officials arrived with police backup to check shacks Mayhem commenced ,people chucked off beds, those on mattresses who had small table to keep their stuff off the sand had them removed, not allowed. Most shacks had put reclining type chairs just outside the shack doors so people could sit in the sun were told, not allowed, get them inside.to cap it all along the beach towards Fishermans shack they decided to get a lorry down to the beach and remove some sunbeds, the shack owners blocked the access and a standoff with the police ensued. Local politicians were called by shackowners to defuse what was an ugly situation. In the press today, reporting on the First Ministers visit to revue the bed situation last week, all he seemed interested in was shacks having large no smoking signs and a smoking area in shack!! You could not make it up. Even if the twenty bed rule comes in it seems that their is going to be a policy of hassling the shacks at every turn,why nobody knows, but it seems this year there is definitely, from on high, an ante shack policy
I,ve since spoken to people who witnessed the standoff. It was in the lane beside the Goan heritage hotel. There was about 30 odd police the usual wrecking crew ,sunbeds were smashed before the shackstaff rallied and stopped it.there was a female senior member of the tourism board supervising the operation, people who witnessed it say she has been in charge of other instances in the past. A shack is also said to have been smashed up but whether thats true I couldn't say. All in all, if a relaxation of sunbeds numbers is iniment they have a funny way of showing it. The situation year on year gets worse and worse, you never know what they will do next. We for one will most likely call it a day on Goa and that seems to be the general view of most people I meet. The police presence today and their actions are really not conducive to a relaxing holiday and for us enough is enough.
Three shacks demolished yesterday at Candolim, also several given seven day warnings to reduce size or face the same fate. The tourism board are upping heir drive against shacks this year and i fear that it will continue whether the sunbed numbers are increased or not. They are definatley working to an agenda.Yesterdays police presence was uncalled fo as none of the shacks involved had lotsof beds out it was that they wre just near an access road to get the lorry down to cart bed away from behind their shack. It is much worse tha last year, whether the change of goverment has caused this, who knows, but its not a pleasant atmosphere on the beach at present

The more I am hearing about this the more I am considering cancelling my flight !!! The only reason to keep me going there at this point in time is to escape the cold here..............

Dread -x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.