Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Setting Up a Business In Goa

Setting Up a Business In Goa

Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:28 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting Up a Business In Goa

Originally Posted by SteveKingswear
I was merely asking the question Tarka - a serious question which has in most instances prompted serious replies - your second response was more constructive hence I will resist the temptation to say 'If you can say nothing constructive then say nothing'!

However what I find confusing here is that on the Indian High Commission website they are actively promoting foreign investment yet when I ask the question on the forum then the unanimous response is no no no! Obviously not everyone on the forum can be wrong.

I do though like a conundrum such as this and I have written to the high commisioner in London outlining my proposal and asking his advice. I am contemplating sending a letter to the governor of Goa, Shivinder Singh Sidhu in similar terms. My only reluctance being I don't want to be 'negotiating' (I wish) on two fronts in case it should be wrongly construed that I am trying to play one off against the other.

What I certainly won't be doing is parting with a single rupee until I am confident that I have all t's crossed and i's dotted; even then I would only invest what I could afford to lose.

It wasn't very long ago that the same 'encouragement and invitation' was being made by the Indian Govt (and the Goan govt for that matter) actively welcoming foreign nationals to invest in property and live within India. The Indian High Commission in London made all the promises of simpliciy in gaining residence - promises that 5year visas would be issued first with the promise of ongoing 10year visas following that etc etc. Now the Govt have changed the laws and are applying them retrospectively, trying to confiscate those same 'promised peoples' homes, investments and savings - and believe me they are so ruthless about it that many of those affected are suffering significant deterioration in health and wellbeing - some have even died.
In addition they have now changed the visa rules so that it is absolutely impossible for foreign nationals to maintain their residency status in India.

Now we see the same active encouragement being made to lure people into investing in business in India, yet on the reverse side of the coin, the changing of visa rules in respect of business visas making these difficult to obtain. Many British people have invested in businesses in Goa and had to throw in the towel on account of the constant difficulties they were faced with. Corruption and greed are the only rules by which the powers that be in Goa play - so if you are going to invest your money I hope you are a better player of these rules than they are !

Dread - x
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

Should you or in this case I wish to set up a business in Goa and in so doing invest substantial capital into the local economy and create numerous jobs how (if such a thing is possible) can I ensure that I cross every T and dot every i? Is there such thing as an honest solicitor in Goa? Who ultimately makes the yes or no decisions? Is it the Governor of Goa? The head of Police? Does anyone know of any ex-pats that are operating successfull businesses in Goa?

Just a thought, at the moment!
Be VERY VERY careful. They will seduce you with flattery, as you grease palms, then do everything imaginable to wear you down and finally close you down - they cannot stand a successful "foreign" business on their doorstep - ask anyone who has tried to run a "foreign" restaurant in Goa.

Just look at we so-called "property-owners" - I am sure many of us wish we had never heard of Goa - with all the problems we are now facing - just because we want to spend some long-term quality time in their state, in a property bought through our hard work in the UK (or wherever), and to be allowed to spend our money as we see fit thus contributing to their economy, yet taking nothing from it..............it doesn't make any sense, and I have give up trying to fathom out the logic behind it.

My humble advice - tread very cautiously....................
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:23 pm
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

I think you have your answer from some long term Goan hands.
In India kindness is often classed as a weakness.
I know lots of people who have tried to help (poor) Indian familys
etc, only to be shafted.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:39 pm
A little honey

Honey Bee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevebenaulim
etc, only to be shafted.
THAT is very true - mega shafted after 5 years of helping a family
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Honey Bee
THAT is very true - mega shafted after 5 years of helping a family
Now I just listen to all the sob stories, then quickly change the subject as soon as the question of money crops up.

It's amazing how many sisters' weddings occur in the same year! I wish I had such a fertile imagination..................
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

GermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to behold

Don't do it. Don't even think about it. Unless we're talking huge business here (like Siemens or Microsoft or of comparable volume), so that you can expect real assistance by your own government.

This.

If you're a masochist, go for it. Else do yourself a favour and avoid, avoid, avoid. Spend your cash in a 5 star resort instead. I sure wish I had.
Even if you are doing everything right, they will try to rip you off and getting stuff done in court takes ages (meanwhile stalling you to oblivion).
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

etc, only to be shafted.
I didn't know that, Steve. Thanks for that. It's not in my nature NOT to be kind, so I must be seen as a real mug & a push-over. NOT ANY MORE!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

I haven't set up a business, but the charity I started has been an uphill struggle all the way, possibly much of this is related to my refusal to give bribes, although I don't think I've ever been asked directly and perhaps they're not wanting them or I'm just oblivious to it all... I don't know. Our first licence to open "The Mango House" as a children's home took 16 months to come through, with this I had to appeal the original order saying we couldn't because I was a foreigner, the second licence I'm still waiting for even though 2.5 years ago we had an inspection saying we should have it "herewith"... Frustrating is an understatement, however for us it's quite easy to adapt to the situation and change what we do, we now do all our work in the slums directly, which isn't ideal for the children, but it does mean we're actually helping twice as many children.

To do any type of business here I do think a thick head and an awful lot of energy is required, I have nearly given up several times but thankfully the joy and thanks given to me by the kids keeps me going!

I'll end by saying... You learn by your mistakes... Goodluck!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

SteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to behold

Wow - well that is a fairly over whelming response and all on the same general lines - once again I can only say you can't all be wrong. I think business in Goa is very much on the back burner and my trips will be limited to 3/5 weeks once or twice a year - rented appartment - rented car - thankyou and good bye.

For all that have offered advice and taken the trouble to respond in the forum - many thanks.

My problem is as much as I want to retire having tried it twice I know after a few months I get bored - I thought the 6 month season in Goa in a country that I find very relaxing to be in, might be the answer. It would seem not!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Wow - well that is a fairly over whelming response and all on the same general lines - once again I can only say you can't all be wrong. I think business in Goa is very much on the back burner and my trips will be limited to 3/5 weeks once or twice a year - rented appartment - rented car - thankyou and good bye.

For all that have offered advice and taken the trouble to respond in the forum - many thanks.

My problem is as much as I want to retire having tried it twice I know after a few months I get bored - I thought the 6 month season in Goa in a country that I find very relaxing to be in, might be the answer. It would seem not!
By all means, come and enjoy the 6 months season (Oct/Nov thro' March/April) as a tourist on a multiple-entry 6-month Tourist Visa, and if you can run a UK-based business via the internet in your absence, so much the better. Just be prepared that if you need to suddenly return to the UK for any reason whatsoever, you most certainly will have to stay out for 2 months, unless you can justify your return is for an urgent cause (God forbid - a family bereavement or such like) and even then you are at the mercy of the High Commission officials, so no guarantee that they would give you the necessary approval to return within the 2 month period.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

Come for 6 months and look and listen.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:00 am
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

Have you thought of Malaysia, a much more organised country, much easier on visas etc, and a lovely country to be in. When my current five year x visa expires, im thinking of Malaysia to live, much more to keep you occupied, stop you getting bored, and Thailand only a drive away, with decentish roads.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:11 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth Steve, I think you have made the right decision.

Dread - x
Old Oct 9th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Have you thought of Malaysia, a much more organised country, much easier on visas etc, and a lovely country to be in. When my current five year x visa expires, im thinking of Malaysia to live, much more to keep you occupied, stop you getting bored, and Thailand only a drive away, with decentish roads.
Totally agree with you about Malaysia! fabulous country! My 2 months exille are being spent there!J
Old Oct 9th 2010, 6:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by msj5
Totally agree with you about Malaysia! fabulous country! My 2 months exille are being spent there!J
And apart from Alcohol, bloody good value. With the right requirements you can get a 5 year residence visa.
The way forward for me, Goa has been great, but this latest 2 month out rule has been the last straw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.