RETIRING TO GOA

Old Jun 17th 2012, 8:36 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RETIRING TO GOA

Originally Posted by Foxilady
TU Chris that is most helpful to know, so cheap for private cover. When I go in November I shall make a point of trying to investigate care for the elderly ie care/nursing home situations.
I wouldn't dream of comparing my serious enquiry with a movie! weird!
Foxilady - please don't take any notice of Sally with regard to your question.
Chris - £120 a year Private Health Care for 2, cheaper than taking holiday insurance except for repatriation.

I have great faith in the Goa medical system. Dr. Dukles Hospital and Research Center in Candolim was second to none, such a caring Doctor he has been in touch thrice since we returned home. GMC local hospital made my hair stand on end, BUT the medical care was excellent, pity about the surroundings. Until you have experienced these things you cannot comment.

Of course, until you sort out whether you can get PIO/OCI and you then marry your partner, you will not be able to retire to India.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
Foxilady - please don't take any notice of Sally with regard to your question.
Chris - £120 a year Private Health Care for 2, cheaper than taking holiday insurance except for repatriation.

I have great faith in the Goa medical system. Dr. Dukles Hospital and Research Center in Candolim was second to none, such a caring Doctor he has been in touch thrice since we returned home. GMC local hospital made my hair stand on end, BUT the medical care was excellent, pity about the surroundings. Until you have experienced these things you cannot comment.

Of course, until you sort out whether you can get PIO/OCI and you then marry your partner, you will not be able to retire to India.
Noni agree with all you have said; but the issue raised here is longterm full time care in a nursing home if they become demented.
Basic insurance will not cover this care.
As I said such care usually is given in the person's own home.
Are there any nursing homes in Goa? that would take in foreigners full time, possibly for the rest of their lives?

Also the legal issues re payment and their protection if they become incapable of managing their affairs.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:48 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Noni agree with all you have said; but the issue raised here is longterm full time care in a nursing home if they become demented.
Basic insurance will not cover this care.
As I said such care usually is given in the person's own home.
Are there any nursing homes in Goa? that would take in foreigners full time, possibly for the rest of their lives?

Also the legal issues re payment and their protection if they become incapable of managing their affairs.
Can you believe, Bipat I agree with you I think their idea is a nonstarter. Would not entertain it, would you with family around you?
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I am suggesting that the NHS is probably not as bad and India not as good as portrayed in a light-hearted film.
{chrisjolly} You have to experience both and I have. I would say the Healthcare, although private but reasonably priced, is far better in India. I would much rather go and see my doctor here and have major surgery here than in the UK. They are really wonderful. Private hospitalisation insurance costs 120 pounds a year for a couple.
Agree with Sally Redux; disagree with chrisjolly:

I have had competent treatment for a fairly minor condition at Vrundavan hospital - it has been frequently criticised on these forums but is still one of the best hospitals in Goa. They've got X-Ray and CAT scan and modern drugs but in other respects the place does not meet even mid-Victorian standards. A quck scan through newspaper back issues will soon show that standards at GMC simply beggar belief. They are really NOT wonderful!

For possibly the most up-market retirement option in Goa check out Bougainvillea

AndyD 8-)
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bakedbean
.... wondering if there's any kind of expat support group to help in Goa? ....
A big problem in Goa is that there are only a few expats there for 12 months of the year, and thanks to the behaviour of the government(s) that number is shrinking.

AndyD 8-)
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
Can you believe, Bipat I agree with you I think their idea is a nonstarter. Would not entertain it, would you with family around you?
Agree. Thought of any 'permanent nursing home' is not pleasant wherever it is.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Agree with Sally Redux; disagree with chrisjolly:

I have had competent treatment for a fairly minor condition at Vrundavan hospital - it has been frequently criticised on these forums but is still one of the best hospitals in Goa. They've got X-Ray and CAT scan and modern drugs but in other respects the place does not meet even mid-Victorian standards. A quck scan through newspaper back issues will soon show that standards at GMC simply beggar belief. They are really NOT wonderful!

For possibly the most up-market retirement option in Goa check out Bougainvillea

AndyD 8-)

I too have read about the standards at GMC. Yes, A&E was horrendous, a complete nightmare, but in our situation once on the ward, even though depressing, the medical treatment we were given was spot on, even though I admit I discharged my OH prefering him to have a bonemarrow test in UK. We took the first flight back home.

Vrundraven - had an small operation there as Andy says like mid Victorian Hospital - I was amazed after having the operation, that in the paper the next day it was only 10 years old!!!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. Thought of any 'permanent nursing home' is not pleasant wherever it is.
I can only say that my MIL has very advanced Alzheimers and is receiving care in a UK care home which could not be any better. I understand that the OP may have fears about the future NHS situation but they may be panicking over nothing. I only joined the thread as having seem the 'Marigold' film I was intrigued.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:18 am
Account Closed

Foxilady is an unknown quantity at this point

thanx everyone for you input Yes Bipat the thought of a nursing home is not pleasant but the fact remains that 1 in3 will end up with some form of dementia! I am trying to look at this possible eventuality and work out where we would like to end up demented lol.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

majorda_buyer is on a distinguished road

I would pick India anytime for any healthcare issues - I work for NHS and it's terrible to get treated like a second class citizen as they are too busy to give a decent diagnosis and long waiting lists.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:19 am
Account Closed

Foxilady is an unknown quantity at this point

TU Majorda, that is very encouraging to hear
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by majorda_buyer
I would pick India anytime for any healthcare issues - I work for NHS and it's terrible to get treated like a second class citizen as they are too busy to give a decent diagnosis and long waiting lists.
That has not been our experience, quite the reverse.

AndyD 8-)
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Foxilady
TU Majorda, that is very encouraging to hear
To be honest my parents retired to a different state in India in 2006 - Dad was given 24 - 48hrs and my parents went to India for treatment in 2006 and have been there ever since. Dad is doing alot better now still has few bad days but his doctors always seem to encourage him and treat him with respect.

So from my own experience I would highly recommend it for healthcare.

Also he has a carer who starts from 8am - 8pm for 180 rupees a day. You have facilities for any blood or urine test - they do a home visit.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by majorda_buyer
Yes the NHS has serious problems, and there will always be failures, but in general whoever you are regardless of where you live if you need emergency treatment you get it. The brilliant paramedics will come. If you collapse in your house in an Indian small town or village?????

In India you have to pay for what you get and if no money only very basic treatment, and that is across the board, whatever your means.
Late B-in-law diagnosed in the morning (in Mumbai), cost of hospital treatment given, £1000s. Wife said she "didn't have money in her purse" don't worry they said "This afternoon will do"!!!! Needless to say he was nursed at home.

Certainly far more home nursing care is available in India.

In India if you retire from a good job and have work related medical insurance then your available treatments will be superior to NHS. and going to India from UK for a specific operation will be better and cheaper (I will go to Pune if I ever need a joint replacement).

But to have someone on hand to help night or day and not dependant on the cash you have with you, what system can beat the NHS?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Yes the NHS has serious problems, and there will always be failures, but in general whoever you are regardless of where you live if you need emergency treatment you get it. The brilliant paramedics will come. If you collapse in your house in an Indian small town or village?????

In India you have to pay for what you get and if no money only very basic treatment, and that is across the board, whatever your means.
Late B-in-law diagnosed in the morning (in Mumbai), cost of hospital treatment given, £1000s. Wife said she "didn't have money in her purse" don't worry they said "This afternoon will do"!!!! Needless to say he was nursed at home.

Certainly far more home nursing care is available in India.

In India if you retire from a good job and have work related medical insurance then your available treatments will be superior to NHS. and going to India from UK for a specific operation will be better and cheaper (I will go to Pune if I ever need a joint replacement).

But to have someone on hand to help night or day and not dependant on the cash you have with you, what system can beat the NHS?
NHS can be better with the right employees and can do attitude. I mean you can have different experience from hospital to hospital but when you have a bad experience with them it just leaves you very uncertain when you get treated the next time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.