Racism

Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:34 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute
Default Racism

Sick to death of reading all this "Racist" cr*p.

Lets get this clear, Indians are not a "Race", they are a nation, or a people, but most definitely not a race.

The sentiments on this forum against certain posts are falsely playing the "Race" card. They can accurately be described as prejudiced, as generalisations, as distasteful or rude, even insulting..........but NOT racist.

The dictionary definitions are quite explicit, Google them and check.

Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism

Originally Posted by johnny five

Lets get this clear, Indians are not a "Race", they are a nation, or a people, but most definitely not a race.

The sentiments on this forum against certain posts are falsely playing the "Race" card. They can accurately be described as prejudiced, as generalisations, as distasteful or rude, even insulting..........but NOT racist.

Yes J5 but they are deemed to be members of a different race (much as I dislike the term 'race'). What do you think would be the reaction if an 'Indian' person put a post on this forum describing the British as 'pond life' and 'another breed'.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

tarkacreek has a spectacular aura abouttarkacreek has a spectacular aura abouttarkacreek has a spectacular aura about

I among others have been called worse things in Goa and if you remember the newspaper headlines in Goa last year ie, Doleites, scum, spongers from the UK go back to your own country etc etc etc.
I think we just have to all agree to disagree, the people who are having to sell or lose their propertys in Goa do have a right to be bitter, imagine the uproar if the UK government told all Indian famalies to sell up and leave britain and go back to your own country, it would be major world news and the court of human rights would intervene as well as Amnesty International, Red Cross and all the media, but when it happens in Goa, India hardly any interest by these bodies smacks of terribly unfair and unjust.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tarkacreek
I among others have been called worse things in Goa and if you remember the newspaper headlines in Goa last year ie, Doleites, scum, spongers from the UK go back to your own country etc etc etc.
I think we just have to all agree to disagree, the people who are having to sell or lose their propertys in Goa do have a right to be bitter, imagine the uproar if the UK government told all Indian famalies to sell up and leave britain and go back to your own country, it would be major world news and the court of human rights would intervene as well as Amnesty International, Red Cross and all the media, but when it happens in Goa, India hardly any interest by these bodies smacks of terribly unfair and unjust.
Exactly! why stoop to their level. The governments of Goa/India are legitimate targets but the majority of 'Indians' who were insulted on the relevant post have probably no knowledge of the Goan property problem.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:31 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Yes J5 but they are deemed to be members of a different race
Deemed by who?

Most peoples of Northern Europe trace their ancestry to the Aryans (a genuine "race"), and genetics have now proved that this race originated in southern India. Apart from their darker skin, many Indians have similar facial characteristics to many Caucasian peoples (again, not a race), and many Goans have distinctly "Portuguese" features, but probably due to more recent events.......

As I said before, some of the posts may have been insulting bigotted generalisations, but the way India behaves as a nation, and many of her citizens individually this is hardly surprising, is it?

This is a public forum and providing forum rules are not compromised, freedom of speech should be encouraged. Disagreements with another's point of view or attitude are all part of a forum, without them it would become a "nodding shop".

This is a Goa, India, forum and most of the time Goa and India leave themselves hideously open to criticism and/or abuse. However, this is not racism............

Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:33 am
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnny five

In terms of dictionary definitions this is a valid comment.

However, I can see why the OP's original comments are viewed by some (myself included) as racist - As you are all no doubt aware South Asia or The Indian Sub-continent includes (amongst others) Sri Lanka, Pakistan & Bangladesh. I'm not sure what percentage of the total population of South Asia is accounted for by the people of India but I would guess it's a pretty high percentage of the total, therefore I guess that's why I incorrectly in J5's opinion viewed the comments as racist (& still do if I'm honest) rather than as prejudiced, as generalisations, as distasteful or rude, even insulting.

I would view calling someone "a fat bastard" (me!) as prejudiced, as a generalisation, as distasteful, rude & insulting, but I still think the OP's comments were racist as they were were distasteful, rude, insulting & prejudiced generalisations against the people who make up the majority, percentage wise of the race of people from South Asia.

Splitting hairs maybe, but sometimes that's what opinions boil down to.

Regards

H.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Mzee will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bipat
Exactly! why stoop to their level. The governments of Goa/India are legitimate targets but the majority of 'Indians' who were insulted on the relevant post have probably no knowledge of the Goan property problem.
I couldn't agree more. What J5 and others on this forum tend to lose sight of, is that there are many on here with some Indian background who also have the same property problems as others and the same visa issues. It doesn't help for them to read some of the nasty posts from members like Mrs Brinks Matt and then read that she is supported in her views by others and the Mods. I mean come on, calling a Goan a 'Black ar**' isn't rascist ?? I had to ask the Mods to delete that post as I was so offended by it so who knows what a Goan reading that would have felt. You only have to look at the number of posts on this forum now - they are more than 50% down on what they were this time last year and the same names keep posting. That should tell you how popular this forum now is.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:10 am
Banned

Mzee, would you please stop making assumptions about me?
I have not lost sight of anything recently and certainly didnt need the meaning of xenophobia explaning last week. If you have a personal issue can I suggest you PM me with it rather than persistently singling me out for your attacks on forum?

Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:49 am
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

The actual Goans are the most racist people, i have ever met.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:22 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mzee
I couldn't agree more. What J5 and others on this forum tend to lose sight of, is that there are many on here with some Indian background who also have the same property problems as others and the same visa issues. It doesn't help for them to read some of the nasty posts from members like Mrs Brinks Matt and then read that she is supported in her views by others and the Mods. I mean come on, calling a Goan a 'Black ar**' isn't rascist ?? I had to ask the Mods to delete that post as I was so offended by it so who knows what a Goan reading that would have felt. You only have to look at the number of posts on this forum now - they are more than 50% down on what they were this time last year and the same names keep posting. That should tell you how popular this forum now is.
I'm sorry from a personal point of view I have to comment
Firstly, you know absolutely nothing about me yet you come on here calling me a racist it seems. It couldn't be further to the truth. I dont supportMrs Brinks Matts views. I have no reason to. I dont know her, I have never "spoken" to her. So why are you assuming I support her views. I have read nowhere about me supporting her views, and as I don't then it can't be written anywhere!

I have posted a sticky up before actually reading this thread. I think you should probably read it and take note of what is said.

No the forum is still running well .... we have a few people coming on here all the time telling us it isn't but thats untrue.

If you want this conversation / thread to continue then I suggest we do it in a constructive manner rather than resort to personal insult (which your comment about me is).

Thank you
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Mzee will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm sorry from a personal point of view I have to comment
Firstly, you know absolutely nothing about me yet you come on here calling me a racist it seems. It couldn't be further to the truth. I dont supportMrs Brinks Matts views. I have no reason to. I dont know her, I have never "spoken" to her. So why are you assuming I support her views. I have read nowhere about me supporting her views, and as I don't then it can't be written anywhere!

I have posted a sticky up before actually reading this thread. I think you should probably read it and take note of what is said.

No the forum is still running well .... we have a few people coming on here all the time telling us it isn't but thats untrue.

If you want this conversation / thread to continue then I suggest we do it in a constructive manner rather than resort to personal insult (which your comment about me is).

Thank you
I have not referred to you anywhere Mitzy in my post - so there is no need to take it personally. I have sent you a PM - I would like my account closed as it is quite clear where this is heading.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Banyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura about

Have found Mrs Brinks Matts comments offensive/nasty and do not support her. However, can understand she is clearly taking her anger out on others regarding the property and visas problems. Find this sad.

Banyan
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have not referred to you anywhere Mitzy in my post - so there is no need to take it personally. I have sent you a PM - I would like my account closed as it is quite clear where this is heading.
I think it referred to the moderators of this forum, me being one of them!
Well no .... it's not clear!
Frankly I like to see these issues out in the open and that can only happen if we see both sides of the story .... which we can't if you're not here to put your side of the story over.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:34 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I think it referred to the moderators of this forum, me being one of them!
Well no .... it's not clear!
Frankly I like to see these issues out in the open and that can only happen if we see both sides of the story .... which we can't if you're not here to put your side of the story over.
Totally agree with you Mitz.

As I have said earlier everyone is entitled to their own opinion as long as they keep within the rules of the BE forum.
"You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:28 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tarkacreek
But aren't those "Indian families" not actually British nationals whose "own country" is Britain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.