Property in Goa

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

mikcon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property in Goa

I have recently agreed to purchase a apartment in Arpora with a company called Riviera Construction. The deal was to pay £60,000 over two years, the apartment is due to be ready in April 2010,I have paid £13000 up to now. I now know, through this and other forums that I have been foolish not to research the law on buying property. I was wondering does anyone has any idea on what I should do next, should I ask for my money back, keep on paying or get legal advice. My next payment is due in October. Any avice would be gratefully accepted.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:58 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property in Goa

Originally Posted by mikcon
I have recently agreed to purchase a apartment in Arpora with a company called Riviera Construction. The deal was to pay £60,000 over two years, the apartment is due to be ready in April 2010,I have paid £13000 up to now. I now know, through this and other forums that I have been foolish not to research the law on buying property. I was wondering does anyone has any idea on what I should do next, should I ask for my money back, keep on paying or get legal advice. My next payment is due in October. Any avice would be gratefully accepted.
Welcome to the site.

If you possibly can get your money back. Legal advice!!! well this got us into a mess it is easy to go to an Advocate, but again waste of money as most of them don't know the law themselves.

One thing is sure THE REGISTER IS CLOSED TO FOREIGN NATIONALS.

So you will not get the deeds in your name.

Good luck. another one bits the dust!! (sorry)
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replying Noni
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:35 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying Noni
Please don't think we are being negative, we are just trying to stop people getting into the position we are in. We all wanted to live the dream.
Even though we have our deeds registered we are now under investigation.

We love Goa - the ordinary people - but there are two Goa's one on the surface and one underneath.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for advice, I think it will be best stop making any more payments and TRY to get my money back
Regards mikcon
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

arporakris is an unknown quantity at this point

hi mikcon you would be best talking direct to agnelo braganca regaurding any refund.have you brought at riviera foothills.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi Arporakis
yes I have bought in the Foothills, and I Know the name Agnelo Branco. I have emaile his company twice to ask what the situation is, but have not had any reply. Do you know anything of this company, as it came highly recommended?
Regards
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Calangute,Goa (October -May) Pattaya,Thailand (May-Oct)
enfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really nice

From the sounds of it his name could be Braganza ,a common Goan Catholic name.I don't know ,but just a thought.

Good luck in trying to get your cash back,sorry but Goans are loathe to part !
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:57 am

Hi Arporakis
yes I have bought in the Foothills, and I Know the name Agnelo Branco. I have emaile his company twice to ask what the situation is, but have not had any reply. Do you know anything of this company, as it came highly recommended?
Regards
The head of the company I believe is Agnelo M. Branganca. Good luck with them.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by noni
The head of the company I believe is Agnelo M. Branganca. Good luck with them.
Thanks for the info
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:55 am
Just Joined

hi mikcon i f you go on to their web site you can get domonics mobil no its a start.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by arporakris
hi mikcon i f you go on to their web site you can get domonics mobil no its a start.
Cheers 4 that
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice

The short answer to your question is; if you are a Foreign National do anything you can directly to get your deposit back; he may act fairly?

If you are a Foreign National I am amazed that, when it is common knowledge amongst the builders, agents and developers in Goa that the Register for purchase or sale of property has been closed since July 2006, you should have been induced in any way as a potential customer. In an anti foreigner climate where retrospective legislation to enable the confiscation of foreign bought property in Goa is on the Governor's desk, any individual or company presently marketing to foreigners in Goa is acting with fraudulent intent.

Some extra information :

Riviera Constructions PVT Ltd. is headed by Agnelo M. Braganza, a very charming though calmly stubborn man when trying to negotiate business.

He has strong political connections through his family and was incredibly reassuring to us that "there is no problem with foreigners buying; look at how many units I have sold to foreigners, and the prices are only going up. We can arrange all legal requirements for you; no need to worry, many foreigners are trading up from my previous developments; we have arranged everything for them".

That was in monsoon 2004 when we were seriously negotiating purchase at the partly built "Lagoa Azul Resort, Little Baga", Arpora (Survey No. 125). We had several lengthy meetings with him during which we asked all the sensible and difficult questions and he advised us to "keep with my Advocate and everything will be okay; no tension. We will keep the deal in our company name in an Agreement of Sale, and register it in your name on completion and final staged payment. There will be a deposit of £4,300 (3 bed villa) to a Maintenance Fund, and a Co-operative Society of Owners to be formed and to make up any future shortfalls in the required maintenance budgets; we have all our own contractors for that. Annual Panchayat Tax will be fixed by the Panchayat on the basis of the assessment carried out at the time of issuing the Occupancy Certificate".

When I challenged him that in my understanding at the time it was illegal for foreign nationals to form Co-operatives in India, he disputed it with the usual "we'll look after you, don't worry", and he might have been right on the Co-operative point since it became irrelevant when we bailed out of the deal. He was only prepared to throw in one A/C Unit (value, 19000 R/- at the time) and had vigourously marketed on the fact that he had so many foreign buyer/"owners" already signed up : that was his main selling point and price strength.

He was trading as Prime Shelters then, with Alvito D'Silva as his Civil Engineer. (e mail : [email protected] website : www.resortlagoa.com/primeshelters ). The business, however, was (and may still be) Arpora Village Resorts & Farms Pvt. Ltd.. Certainly,SWIFT payments were to be remtted through HSBC or Standard Chartered Bank through MT103(IOBAINBBA001) to Current Account No. 351, Arpora Village Resorts & Farms Pvt. Ltd. at Indian Overseas Bank, Mapusa Branch.

Having looked around the now completed site, I have to be fair to Mr. Braganza and say that, in terms of construction and quality of build, he seems to have honoured most of his promises, even if the landscaping is incomplete, the centre lake bridge and clubhouse never got built, the jetty and regular boat service down Baga Creek to the beach never materialised, and the river bank, complex surrounding and walls are heavily barb wired with glass shards embedded in all exterior walls. Can anyone who might know someone who "bought" there tell me; is there a security problem out there?

I still have the paperwork, plans, terms and conditions for that deal which fell through, if you are wondering how I still have the details.

I don't know, only speculation, but I would imagine there must be a fair number of foreign nationals in Lagoa Azul, Riviera Residency, Riviera Palms, and Riviera Foothills who now feel anxious, their enjoyment of Goa having been tarnished and threatened by the uncertainty of future government action against the interests of foreigners. Same as most of us, really.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:21 am
Just Joined

my wife and i our one of them
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by babu1
The short answer to your question is; if you are a Foreign National do anything you can directly to get your deposit back; he may act fairly?

If you are a Foreign National I am amazed that, when it is common knowledge amongst the builders, agents and developers in Goa that the Register for purchase or sale of property has been closed since July 2006, you should have been induced in any way as a potential customer. In an anti foreigner climate where retrospective legislation to enable the confiscation of foreign bought property in Goa is on the Governor's desk, any individual or company presently marketing to foreigners in Goa is acting with fraudulent intent.

Some extra information :

Riviera Constructions PVT Ltd. is headed by Agnelo M. Braganza, a very charming though calmly stubborn man when trying to negotiate business.

He has strong political connections through his family and was incredibly reassuring to us that "there is no problem with foreigners buying; look at how many units I have sold to foreigners, and the prices are only going up. We can arrange all legal requirements for you; no need to worry, many foreigners are trading up from my previous developments; we have arranged everything for them".

That was in monsoon 2004 when we were seriously negotiating purchase at the partly built "Lagoa Azul Resort, Little Baga", Arpora (Survey No. 125). We had several lengthy meetings with him during which we asked all the sensible and difficult questions and he advised us to "keep with my Advocate and everything will be okay; no tension. We will keep the deal in our company name in an Agreement of Sale, and register it in your name on completion and final staged payment. There will be a deposit of £4,300 (3 bed villa) to a Maintenance Fund, and a Co-operative Society of Owners to be formed and to make up any future shortfalls in the required maintenance budgets; we have all our own contractors for that. Annual Panchayat Tax will be fixed by the Panchayat on the basis of the assessment carried out at the time of issuing the Occupancy Certificate".

When I challenged him that in my understanding at the time it was illegal for foreign nationals to form Co-operatives in India, he disputed it with the usual "we'll look after you, don't worry", and he might have been right on the Co-operative point since it became irrelevant when we bailed out of the deal. He was only prepared to throw in one A/C Unit (value, 19000 R/- at the time) and had vigourously marketed on the fact that he had so many foreign buyer/"owners" already signed up : that was his main selling point and price strength.

He was trading as Prime Shelters then, with Alvito D'Silva as his Civil Engineer. (e mail : [email protected] website : www.resortlagoa.com/primeshelters ). The business, however, was (and may still be) Arpora Village Resorts & Farms Pvt. Ltd.. Certainly,SWIFT payments were to be remtted through HSBC or Standard Chartered Bank through MT103(IOBAINBBA001) to Current Account No. 351, Arpora Village Resorts & Farms Pvt. Ltd. at Indian Overseas Bank, Mapusa Branch.

Having looked around the now completed site, I have to be fair to Mr. Braganza and say that, in terms of construction and quality of build, he seems to have honoured most of his promises, even if the landscaping is incomplete, the centre lake bridge and clubhouse never got built, the jetty and regular boat service down Baga Creek to the beach never materialised, and the river bank, complex surrounding and walls are heavily barb wired with glass shards embedded in all exterior walls. Can anyone who might know someone who "bought" there tell me; is there a security problem out there?

I still have the paperwork, plans, terms and conditions for that deal which fell through, if you are wondering how I still have the details.

I don't know, only speculation, but I would imagine there must be a fair number of foreign nationals in Lagoa Azul, Riviera Residency, Riviera Palms, and Riviera Foothills who now feel anxious, their enjoyment of Goa having been tarnished and threatened by the uncertainty of future government action against the interests of foreigners. Same as most of us, really.
Thank you for the info, I will be trying to get in touch with Mr Branganza by what ever means I can. If you have any contact details I would be grateful for them
Regards mikcon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.