Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

P.I.O.Eligability Question? Any Ideas?

P.I.O.Eligability Question? Any Ideas?

Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

clarkej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P.I.O.Eligability Question? Any Ideas?

Hello Everyone. Ive just been advised to move over to the Goa Thread and hope some of you may be able to help or offer me some advice. Its, I'm White, British, born in Kent but my Grandad was born in Lucknow (India) in 1895 due to my Great Grandad and family being there with the Army. Ive read a couple of things and am wondering does anyone know if I'm "Technically" eligable for an Indian P.I.O. card due to my Grandfather being born there? If so, Im wondering if in the future, I could possibly buy a home in India or retire there? I'm presently awaiting for someone to get a copy of the Batism record from the National Archives to prove where my Grandad was born so will have paperwork. Its' Ive asked the High Comission in London but no one has replied to my emails which is a bit frustrating. Thanks for Reading, Any Ideas?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: P.I.O.Eligability Question? Any Ideas?

Originally Posted by clarkej
Hello Everyone. Ive just been advised to move over to the Goa Thread and hope some of you may be able to help or offer me some advice. Its, I'm White, British, born in Kent but my Grandad was born in Lucknow (India) in 1895 due to my Great Grandad and family being there with the Army. Ive read a couple of things and am wondering does anyone know if I'm "Technically" eligable for an Indian P.I.O. card due to my Grandfather being born there? If so, Im wondering if in the future, I could possibly buy a home in India or retire there? I'm presently awaiting for someone to get a copy of the Batism record from the National Archives to prove where my Grandad was born so will have paperwork. Its' Ive asked the High Comission in London but no one has replied to my emails which is a bit frustrating. Thanks for Reading, Any Ideas?
Did your Grandfather have an Indian passport?
If so then you should be eligible.

The idea of a PIO card is to make it easier for people of indian origin (up to fourth generation) to return to their roots and establish ties with their homeland.

Personally i don't think you will be eligible unless you can prove that you are of Indian origin through having family ties there.

See the paragraph below in particular the section that i highlighted.

Eligibility for PIO Card

Who at any time held an Indian passport; or
He/she or either of his/her parents or grandparents or great grandparents was born in and permanently resident in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 and other territories that became part of India thereafter provided neither was at any time a citizen of any country as may be specified by the Central Government from time to time; or
Who is a spouse of a citizen of India or a person of Indian origin as mentioned above.
Is eligible to hold a PIO card.

The scheme is broad-based, covers up to four generations and also the foreign spouse of a citizen of India or a PIO.

Regards,
Remy

PS. you will probably find your answer in the Government of India Act 1935 but as you can see your Grandfather would also have needed to be permanently resident and not a citizen of another country.

Last edited by Remy-Ireland; Oct 4th 2009 at 10:22 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

If you can show that there is Indian ancestry you will have a better chance. There is a sizable Anglo Indian population in India (ie Brits who have been in India for generations and some of whom have intermarried with Indians) ie they assumed Indian residency and citizenship instead of taking their entitlement to Brit citizenship. However, I have not heard of any post colonial governments giving citizenship priviliges to those resident during/for colonial administration.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:49 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
If you can show that there is Indian ancestry you will have a better chance. There is a sizable Anglo Indian population in India (ie Brits who have been in India for generations and some of whom have intermarried with Indians) ie they assumed Indian residency and citizenship instead of taking their entitlement to Brit citizenship. However, I have not heard of any post colonial governments giving citizenship priviliges to those resident during/for colonial administration.
Hi Clarke,
Welcome to Goa thread. Glad to see you took the advise and 'come over' to us. Remy is a PIO, hope his reply helps.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Remy said:
PS. you will probably find your answer in the Government of India Act 1935 but as you can see your Grandfather would also have needed to be permanently resident and not a citizen of another country.
Remy, I think you'll find that is only the 'usual suspect' countries - Pakistan, Bhutan, Sri Lanka etc.

I have heard from other people that PIO cards are not given to people who were in India as part of the British Raj - although the legal basis for refusing them is dubious.
afaik if you apply for PIO you have to send a bunch of money to an NGO in India (to do background research) with another chunk if they get the card for you - so there is some incentive for them to try.

AndyD 8-)#
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Remy, I think you'll find that is only the 'usual suspect' countries - Pakistan, Bhutan, Sri Lanka etc.

I have heard from other people that PIO cards are not given to people who were in India as part of the British Raj - although the legal basis for refusing them is dubious.
afaik if you apply for PIO you have to send a bunch of money to an NGO in India (to do background research) with another chunk if they get the card for you - so there is some incentive for them to try.

AndyD 8-)#
Hi Andy,

my mistake.....your right about the 'usual suspect' countries.

Never heard about the NGO contribution thing before although it does'nt surprise me at all. I got mine through the London HCI but as my father is Indian i did,nt encounter any problems accept when going through immigration at Dabolim..........they see my PIO card and start talking to me in Hindi and then pull faces when i explain to them i don't speak it.

On one trip the OH and kids got through no problem on their tourist visas while i was held back and scrutinised for ages. So much for ensuring trouble free trips to India for PIO Card holders. lol
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:07 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andy,

Never heard about the NGO contribution thing before although it does'nt surprise me at all. I got mine through the London HCI but as my father is Indian i did,nt encounter any problems accept when going through immigration at Dabolim..........they see my PIO card and start talking to me in Hindi and then pull faces when i explain to them i don't speak it.

On one trip the OH and kids got through no problem on their tourist visas while i was held back and scrutinised for ages. So much for ensuring trouble free trips to India for PIO Card holders. lol
Perhaps you looked like a terrorist
or were you 'noffified.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Mum2randa is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy,

Oh dear, this doesn`t bode well for me & my PIO card then - with my white skin and blondish (mostly gray!) hair - I think I had better get my explanation ready.....
, or would a donation to a suitable charitable fund help more???
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:10 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

As no-one has actually answered your question, I will try.

After reading your post carefully, several times I have made the following assumptions;
1)both your Great-grandparents were British born and raised
2)your grandad just happened to be born in India as this was their posting
3)if this was the case no way would he have had an Indian passport as......
4)offspring of British servicemen were British through and through, and......
5)the son of a squaddie in 1895 would not have been issued with a passport. **
6)at the end of their tour of duty they returned to Britain, like most others.
7)there were no "provable" Indians involved in his conception or birth.

If all of these assumptions are more or less correct, you have absolutely zero chance of getting PIO, 100% certain and definite, for sure. Sorry.

** British troops generally didn't need passports as they were either defending something that belonged to Britain, or invading something that didnt, neither of which required a "show of passport"

Last edited by johnny five; Oct 5th 2009 at 3:13 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnny five
As no-one has actually answered your question, I will try.

After reading your post carefully, several times I have made the following assumptions;
1)both your Great-grandparents were British born and raised
2)your grandad just happened to be born in India as this was their posting
3)if this was the case no way would he have had an Indian passport as......
4)offspring of British servicemen were British through and through, and......
5)the son of a squaddie in 1895 would not have been issued with a passport. **
6)at the end of their tour of duty they returned to Britain, like most others.
7)there were no "provable" Indians involved in his conception or birth.

If all of these assumptions are more or less correct, you have absolutely zero chance of getting PIO, 100% certain and definite, for sure. Sorry.

** British troops generally didn't need passports as they were either defending something that belonged to Britain, or invading something that didnt, neither of which required a "show of passport"

Mmmmmmm,

Technicaly speaking if your Grandfather was born in India and permanently resident there as defined in the Government of India Act 1935 (whose architect was British) then you are entitled to a PIO Card under eligibility for same however i agree that under these circumstances it would not be easy to get one but i don't think it would be impossible under the legality of the system.....i think this is what Andy was referring to.

Its a grey area unless you know the full residency status of the Grandfather and his Parents.

Last edited by Remy-Ireland; Oct 5th 2009 at 3:44 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

clarkej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read my Thread and the informative comments.

Ive found out more through your posts than I have in three years of trying to get someone to answer me from the Indian High Comission. At the moment, I tend to agree that its very doubtful that they would let me have a P.I.O. card as even though I'm going to have my Grand fathers Baptism record from Lucknowm the problem is as he came back to England when he was young he wouldnt have required a Passport.

I still think that there could be a case that I'm "technically" eligable due to his birth in India but I suppose that the only way I could maybe prove that is buy obtaining an copy of the Passenger list record showing when he sailed from India back to England a few years after he was born.... (showing he was at least resident for a time)

Thanks again for all your comments, they are really appreciated.

Kindest Regards

JClarke
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

catpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nice

Hi JClarke

I think you will find that the HCI will want more than just one piece of paper to prove your grandfather's birth. If I remember correctly, on the application form they specify at least two or three different documents that they need to see. Of course an Indian passport, even an expired one, is best but it looks like this may be unlikely for you. Good luck anyway.