Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

need advise - where to can i buy these things in Goa

need advise - where to can i buy these things in Goa

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

oktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant future
Default need advise - where to can i buy these things in Goa

hello all
we will soon be in goa to take possession of our living unit and as we know so little of where to buy what in goa, I was wondering if i could ask the well informed folks here to share some advise on the places in goa where we could get the best range of choices for the following things:
though the location of our flat is south goa (benaulim), we would be glad to go north / panjim if we can get better quality/range of the following things:

1) electricals - fridge, microwave, fans, lights

2) Step down transformer (220 v to 110 v ac) for a drill i am thinking of carrying with me (i have a spare one here which i could leave in goa)

3) bathroom fittings like towel holders/rods, shower curtains, shower curtain rods, paper holders etc

thanks to the folks here who have already been very generous with their tips on grills and other queries i made and offer of help when we arrive on jan 21st .

i hope that such posts are not taken as being insensitive to the plight of the folks here who are going through the nightmare of the property and visa problems and therefore have so much on their minds . i wish everyone here a happy new year and hope that 2010 brings an end to the problems that so many here face.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:57 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Default Re: need advise - where to can i buy these things in Goa

Originally Posted by oktata

2) Step down transformer (220 v to 110 v ac) for a drill i am thinking of carrying with me (i have a spare one here which i could leave in goa)

3) bathroom fittings like towel holders/rods, shower curtains, shower curtain rods, paper holders etc
1) for your fridge & microwave try: Talauliker Electricals, Fatima Chamber, Behind Fatima Convent High School, Margao, (tel +91 832 2733341) - they keep many items in stock, are reasonable on price & reliable on delivery. For your lights try: Hassan & Company - very close to the Airtel shop in Margao, although their main shop is in Panjim & all orders seem to come from there so you can rarely 'take away on the day' Fans are sold in many places but there is a shop further down the same road as Hassan & co - on the right hand side virtually opposite the Pepé jeans shop - about Rs1,250 each for Crompton Greaves - check if the switches for varying the fan speed are built into the switches in your apartment, if they are you don't need fans with the external regulators.

2) I'd forget the step down transformer & bring a decent 18v or 24v cordless drill from Canada - unless they are prohibitively expensive there, in which case I'd shop around for one in Margao - be careful, the retailers will happily 'have your pants down' with regard to the price!

3) Again, if you have Ikea in Canada I would buy this type of item at home & transport them in your luggage as long as you have the 'weight allowance' & your airline doesn't overly restrict the dimensions (particularly length) of the 'well protected' items you can check in as hold luggage.

H.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

oktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hemingway
1) for your fridge & microwave try: Talauliker Electricals, Fatima Chamber, Behind Fatima Convent High School, Margao, (tel +91 832 2733341) - they keep many items in stock, are reasonable on price & reliable on delivery. For your lights try: Hassan & Company - very close to the Airtel shop in Margao, although their main shop is in Panjim & all orders seem to come from there so you can rarely 'take away on the day' Fans are sold in many places but there is a shop further down the same road as Hassan & co - on the right hand side virtually opposite the Pepé jeans shop - about Rs1,250 each for Crompton Greaves - check if the switches for varying the fan speed are built into the switches in your apartment, if they are you don't need fans with the external regulators.

2) I'd forget the step down transformer & bring a decent 18v or 24v cordless drill from Canada - unless they are prohibitively expensive there, in which case I'd shop around for one in Margao - be careful, the retailers will happily 'have your pants down' with regard to the price!

3) Again, if you have Ikea in Canada I would buy this type of item at home & transport them in your luggage as long as you have the 'weight allowance' & your airline doesn't overly restrict the dimensions (particularly length) of the 'well protected' items you can check in as hold luggage.

H.
Thanks Hemingway. have noted contact details for the electricals
i do have a cordless drill but the charger is a black box with an input of 110v only (like a black box that fits into the || looking electrical outlets we have in north america). i would have to buy a step down transformer in goa that can convert from 220 ac to 30 v dc (and the correct amperage) for charging the drill battery. again leaving a battery uncharged/unused for most of the year as we wont be there will probably require me to replace the battery on every visit - which is whyi think a corded drill would be a better option. i know that step down transformers (220 - 110 ac) are available in delhi but being so heavy it wouldnt make sense to lug them around in a suitcase .
as for the bathroom fittings , i will check out ikea as advised - something i was inclined to do as i was'nt sure of availability in goa ..
cheers
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

catpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nice

For good quality bathroom fittings - at a price, try Luis & Co in Panjim, near the big white church. Expensive for India but good quality, which is a rarity in India.

We bought our lights in the UK and brought them with us as we didn't like most of the lights on offer in Goa.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:38 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catpat123
For good quality bathroom fittings - at a price, try Luis & Co in Panjim, near the big white church. Expensive for India but good quality, which is a rarity in India.

We bought our lights in the UK and brought them with us as we didn't like most of the lights on offer in Goa.
Agree on both fronts there Catpat.

Luis & Co feels very un-Goan when you are inside doesnt it. From memory they also sell tools upstairs and I think I saw Powertools also?

At the risk of being repetitive, IKEA was the source of a lot of the nice lights we took out.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by catpat123

catpat123, johnyfive thankyou
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:43 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

catpat123, johnyfive thankyou
Electrical shops many in Panjim - but remember to say you are buying all with them, and stand your ground for a big discount! Good luck.

At least now you have a choice of furniture 8 years ago, we did not have a choice except for the real indian furniture.

The way things are going we will be selling all our handmade furniture
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Mzee will become famous soon enough

Hi Oktata
I have just spent the last two weeks furnishing our place in South Goa. I did a lot of research over the last two years and spoke to many people, compared prices etc as we had a limited budget. Prices in Goa fluctuate considerably between the North and the South. The South is cheaper and you can find bargains on imported goods if you look carefully. I carried stuff from the UK only to find stuff in the local shops for the same price or lower. Talauliker electricals are good and will give you a good discount if you have the patience to negotiate - we managed to get as much as 15% off our white goods plus a microwave oven worth 9000rs as a christmas gift !
Luis and Co are a cracking hardware store who are also in Margao in the Pajifond area - you will get decent quality fittings - Jaguar and Ess are reputable. You'll also get your drill etc there - imported and the same price. Hubby carried eqipment from the UK only to be stopped in customs and hassled for carrying tools - its not worth it !
PM me if you need any more info - more than happy to help
Mzee

hello all
we will soon be in goa to take possession of our living unit and as we know so little of where to buy what in goa, I was wondering if i could ask the well informed folks here to share some advise on the places in goa where we could get the best range of choices for the following things:
though the location of our flat is south goa (benaulim), we would be glad to go north / panjim if we can get better quality/range of the following things:

thanks to the folks here who have already been very generous with their tips on grills and other queries i made and offer of help when we arrive on jan 21st .

i hope that such posts are not taken as being insensitive to the plight of the folks here who are going through the nightmare of the property and visa problems and therefore have so much on their minds . i wish everyone here a happy new year and hope that 2010 brings an end to the problems that so many here face.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

katl is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

found this forum on google . V useful info

I just have a request for some help, I have a place in north goa and will be going over in dec to buy furnituire and soft furnishings. So my question is, while I look around to buy (did not want to buy from people like axiom without seeing it first) is there any comany or individuals that rent out furniture packs in goa?

any help and guidance apprecaited

kat
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:59 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katl
hi

I just have a request for some help, I have a place in north goa and will be going over in dec to buy furnituire and soft furnishings. So my question is, while I look around to buy (did not want to buy from people like axiom without seeing it first) is there any comany or individuals that rent out furniture packs in goa?

kat
Hi Kat,

Welcome to BE - hope there will be someone on here to help you. Unfortunately I have never heard of any one renting out furniture.

Good luck Noni
Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:59 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katl
hi

kat

Hi Kat

Welcome to BE.
I have a place in North Goa and I have not heard of rented furniture packages.
A good place for buying electricals and white goods is Alicias in Calangute main street. If you barter with them you will get good discounts. Also ask around people you know as they may be aware of people selling second hand stuff - but just make sure you get it checked before you buy.
Hope you enjoy being part of our forum and hope we will see more from you.

Good luck with your place

Dread - x
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:57 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

To avoid any confusion, the electrical shop is called Elisha's, ask for Lawrence. He is very geared up to dealing with "foreigners", his mobile number is +919822688034. Avoid dealing with his sister in law, a largish woman who usually sits at a desk facing you as you enter the shop.

Old Nov 5th 2010, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

katl is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you all, It was along shot but will call a few shops mentioned in earlier post.

kat
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:12 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny five
To avoid any confusion, the electrical shop is called Elisha's, ask for Lawrence. He is very geared up to dealing with "foreigners", his mobile number is +919822688034. Avoid dealing with his sister in law, a largish woman who usually sits at a desk facing you as you enter the shop.

OOPS - You is right Mr Milwart ! It is Elishas.

Agree with you about Lawrence - very decent chap. What is good about him is that when you buy your stuff he usually gets it delivered the same day.

Dread - x
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
OOPS - You is right Mr Milwart ! It is Elishas.

Agree with you about Lawrence - very decent chap. What is good about him is that when you buy your stuff he usually gets it delivered the same day.

Dread - x
I bought a fridge freezer from Elisha, think i paid around £110. The next season it wasn't working. I contacted them and the came and lifted it and after a few days told me it had lost its Gas??? So bloody soon!!!

Anyway they told me it was because i turned it off and that it has to be left running all the time even when empty.
Don't know if this is true or a load of sh**.

I also had to pay for the refill of Gas so not overly impressed.

Our fridge freezer at home has lasted over 10 years and we have moved house twice and its battered and bruised.....still working a treat. (hope i haven't put the scud on it)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.