Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK for retirement in GOA - Advice needed

Leaving UK for retirement in GOA - Advice needed

Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

skymonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving UK for retirement in GOA - Advice needed

Originally Posted by Steve & June
So are you saying that we can not buy a property under any circumstances other than taking up residency ?
Hi Steve and June.

My inlaws have been going to Goa for a number of years now. They bought a flat in a complex near Canagute a couple of years ago, and are currently having a house built for them in the same area. They are still trying to achieve the 182 day residency time limit, which as far as I know they have'nt reached yet. Whether this means they cant hold the deeds to their property I'm not sure, but maybe there's a way round your purchasing problem. We are looking to move out permenantly early next year, so we are looking into this ourselves as well. Think I'll be going down the route of opening a business as well, which appears to require even more homework!
hope it works out.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Steve & June is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skymonkey
Hi Steve and June.

My inlaws have been going to Goa for a number of years now. They bought a flat in a complex near Canagute a couple of years ago, and are currently having a house built for them in the same area. They are still trying to achieve the 182 day residency time limit, which as far as I know they have'nt reached yet. Whether this means they cant hold the deeds to their property I'm not sure, but maybe there's a way round your purchasing problem. We are looking to move out permenantly early next year, so we are looking into this ourselves as well. Think I'll be going down the route of opening a business as well, which appears to require even more homework!
hope it works out.
Hi Skymonkey
Have they set up company or are they going to stay longer than 182 days ?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:46 am
Just Joined

skymonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Skymonkey
Have they set up company or are they going to stay longer than 182 days ?
They bought their first property about 2 to 3 years ago, but the longest they have managed to go out for is 4 months. On their last trip out in January, they set up a company. Whether this is to let them get a longer visa, I'm not sure. Also, they are now getting a house built for them.
Apparently, you can buy a proprty in Goa, but you dont officially own it because you dont hold the deeds to that property until you reach the 182 limit. (Someone please correct me if that's incorrect!)

Will speak to them again, and try to get some more info rhats a bit less vague.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Steve & June is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skymonkey
They bought their first property about 2 to 3 years ago, but the longest they have managed to go out for is 4 months. On their last trip out in January, they set up a company. Whether this is to let them get a longer visa, I'm not sure. Also, they are now getting a house built for them.
Apparently, you can buy a proprty in Goa, but you dont officially own it because you dont hold the deeds to that property until you reach the 182 limit. (Someone please correct me if that's incorrect!)

Will speak to them again, and try to get some more info rhats a bit less vague.
I think thats right .If you have a company I think it is registered in the company name.If you stay more than 182 days you apply for residency and register it in your name .I'm not a lawyer though !
Old Jun 17th 2006, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Santan will become famous soon enoughSantan will become famous soon enough

Hi Karen&Cliff, Hope you are well, we returned fro Goa minus our bank account !!but it looks like its all proceeding now,our "company"has been incorperated and our advocate has sent us minutes of "our board meeting"held on 1st June to formally agree to abide by the bank rules blah blah blah ! to which we sign & send back....Our developer is very new just completing his 1st plot,but we have friends who go there for 6 months he's a builder so has overseen whats been going on at his own place and advising our developer on errors etc,so hopefullly ours will be a better finish.Anyway the plot is in Carmona off the main road and looks lovely nothing else arround (yet) Its probably high risk but we have been to the developers house met his wife &kids(he also lives in Carmona) but his prices are a lot lower than the better known developers, so we are taking that risk ! We are planning on going back in nov/dec so we will see more then !! How are things with yours ?
I dont know if all who have responded to this thread(libby skymonkey steve &yvonne )ut DIO BORAY KURUNC ! KEVIN
Old Jun 17th 2006, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Libby Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Leaving UK for retirement in GOA - Advice needed

Originally Posted by kevinfp
Hi Karen&Cliff, Hope you are well, we returned fro Goa minus our bank account !!but it looks like its all proceeding now,our "company"has been incorperated and our advocate has sent us minutes of "our board meeting"held on 1st June to formally agree to abide by the bank rules blah blah blah ! to which we sign & send back....Our developer is very new just completing his 1st plot,but we have friends who go there for 6 months he's a builder so has overseen whats been going on at his own place and advising our developer on errors etc,so hopefullly ours will be a better finish.Anyway the plot is in Carmona off the main road and looks lovely nothing else arround (yet) Its probably high risk but we have been to the developers house met his wife &kids(he also lives in Carmona) but his prices are a lot lower than the better known developers, so we are taking that risk ! We are planning on going back in nov/dec so we will see more then !! How are things with yours ?
I dont know if all who have responded to this thread(libby skymonkey steve &yvonne )ut DIO BORAY KURUNC ! KEVIN
Hi Kevin Congratulations ! really pleased to hear things are moving along for you. John and I fly out on 22nd September - long way away yet ! Who is your developer? We did go to the Property exhibition at the Gmex in Manchester and met up with Acron again but they are a bit pricey, another stall holder who is looking into India said the same.

What was the weather like - have the monsoons started in Goa?

In answer to your DIO boray kurunc - Jesu boray kurunc ! I'm impressed !! I'm trying to teach John some konkani too (I'm Goan)

Libby
Old Jun 19th 2006, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Libby & John, Two kossi assai ?yes I have been learning a bit of good (and bad) Konkani of the beach,the locals who we do'nt know are always surprised when I say a few things(more surprised when I swear !)
The weather when we went at Easter was surprisingly good ,we thought it was going to be really humid, although the localls expected an early monsoon.
I dont know if you know the web, Goanvoice.org .uk based in london,I always have a look to see whats happening over there.
Have you a property in mind for September? our developer was building some 2 bed apartments as well as our houses,give me a call if you want any info as I have all the plans etc, we are on the Wirral so not to far from you.
Dio boray raat due Kevin
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Libby Fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kevin

Tu Kosso assai? Ami borim assanv. Anga paus podta.
John football poita

Did you buy a teach yourself Konkani book? You might want to take a look at this websit I found (you may or may not find useful)
http://www.goa-world.com/goa/konkani/

Dio borim raat due
Libby & John
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:35 am
Just Joined

HELGESEN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bungy
Libby, John
Thank you for your reply, Yes I would like to keep in touch as this is a big issue for both my wife and I and any help/advice from any source is going to be such a big help.

I do know however that you cannot purchase property in Goa (no holiday homes like Spain for example) unless you are a resident - in order to gain residency I understand that you have to live there for x number of weeks per year, concurrent for 5 years. During this period you still need to return to the UK to renew your visa each year. Once this period is over you may apply for a POI - Person of India - residency and once approved you may purchase your own property. Remember also however that any proceeds of the sale of any property that you buy in Goa must remain in Goa, ie you are not permitted to take the currency out of the country - this even applies to simply taking a holiday and having to leave your Rupees at the Airport...!!!!

During your 5 year period you may of course rent - for around £1500 per year you can easily pick up a 2 bed apartment with all the necessary trimings.

Returning to the UK during the monsoon season seems to be the norm for British expats - (June-September) during which time you will renew your visa.

My wife's uncle who was born in India (but lived most of his life in the UK like her mum) now lives in Goa where we visited 2 years ago and fell in love with the place and the life of the Brits out there. He invested £200k from sale of Guest house in Portsmouth and now lives on the interest alone (currently around 12%) which earns him around 24k sterling per year and lives on around 6k...!!!!

Id like to hear your side of things and if you can add to this id be most thankful.

Kind regards

Pete and Yvonne

Hi,

I live in Norway thinking about momovingo Goa.

Your wife's uncle get 12% interest, where?

Best Regards

Tor Helgesen
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Libby& John ,tu kossi assai? Thanks for the link you sent me, it should be useful, sorry I have'nt replied sooner ,been enjoying our Goa style weather ! No progress on our place yet !!There has been problems about foreigners buying over there which has made me a little nervous, although I have had an e'mail fro Dr John Britto of Acron, also a phone call from him (he was in the UK last week) stating the issue arose from an "upstart MP and his acolytes "and there is no problem especially on Acrons term of leasing the property via your business every 58 months !!So heres hoping, we are planning to go back out 2nd December just looking for the cheapest flight from manchester (about £370 each at present)
Do you look at the "Goanvoice. co.uk website at all i find its interesting to see whats happening there Via here (if you know what I mean !!)Anyway hope all goes well for your return in September
Dio Booray raat due, kevin
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:40 am
wen
Forum Regular

wen will become famous soon enoughwen will become famous soon enough

So are you saying that we can not buy a property under any circumstances other than taking up residency ?
We did our 182 days but couldn't get a visa other than tourist, things are changing here, Read MY THREAD ON INDIAN VISA HELP. Even creating a business may not be the answer today. No one knows for definite whats happening.