Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Latest ploy at NEWTONS

Latest ploy at NEWTONS

Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice
Default Latest ploy at NEWTONS

Perhaps due to popular demand (???), Newtons are now giving out laminated cardboard tokens instead of 2 rupee coins in your change.

That's one way of getting you to come back................
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:57 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest ploy at NEWTONS

Originally Posted by iain492001
Perhaps due to popular demand (???), Newtons are now giving out laminated cardboard tokens instead of 2 rupee coins in your change.

Perhaps they have been reading our site! Well it is only ice when we have visitors we buy there, and then pop in for a walk around and blast of the A/c.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

believe me, Noni, it was like an icebox in there today. What with that & my damp shirt, I'll probably get pneumonia
Old Aug 7th 2011, 9:35 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

But do they take these laminated cards back in currency?

Dread - x
Old Aug 8th 2011, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Haven't used mine yet, Dread, but I saw a guy pass over a 3 rupee token yesterday as part of his payment.

On closer inspection the tokens state " For Private circulation Only" & "Valid at Candolim/Calangute". So no fear of Newtons Bank - YET!!!

Who knows? It might be loyalty cards next!!!

I'd settle for just the odd smile, a please and a thank you from the ungracious staff on the tills - what a sorry bunch!

Iain
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

Don't shop there!
I went once, not long after they opened. It seemed to me mostly expensive imports. Other stuff I can get anywhere. Nice shoppe though.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:49 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't used mine yet, Dread, but I saw a guy pass over a 3 rupee token yesterday as part of his payment.

On closer inspection the tokens state " For Private circulation Only" & "Valid at Candolim/Calangute". So no fear of Newtons Bank - YET!!!

Who knows? It might be loyalty cards next!!!

I'd settle for just the odd smile, a please and a thank you from the ungracious staff on the tills - what a sorry bunch!

Iain
They are a miserable lot aren't they !
Then again if you consider how Newtons treat their customers, consider what it might be like to work there.

Dread - x
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

RAZZMATAZZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Who actually 'works' there,people standing around every isle looking totally disinterested,unable to give you any information about the products they are standing in front of all day.May be badly trained or just used as cheap alternatives to security cameras.
Tried to pay with my debit card last week,after manually calculating the 2 percent they add for cards,the cashier punched the amount into the card machine which did'nt work.After 3 attempts I went to a nearby atm and withdrew cash.On returning was quoted the same amount.I pointed out that this included the 2 percent which obviously no longer applied.The cashier was adamant that she had not yet added the 2 percent.I did'nt have time or inclination to add up a long bill to prove the 'error',so I told them they've just lost a customer for 80 rups.Blank stare in reaction as expected.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:00 am
Just Joined

stefanm is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep they do take the tokens back, I have been refusing to take sweets for a very long time, the staff all think i'm diabetic, if they don't have the change i get them to sign a credit note on the receipt. Still a scam though, a sweet costing 50 paise or less wholesale being used as currency 1 rupee, strangely though when I go to the south or Panjim, no such problem.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

oktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant futureoktata has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stefanm
Yep they do take the tokens back, I have been refusing to take sweets for a very long time, the staff all think i'm diabetic, if they don't have the change i get them to sign a credit note on the receipt. Still a scam though, a sweet costing 50 paise or less wholesale being used as currency 1 rupee, strangely though when I go to the south or Panjim, no such problem.
Kader's supermarket in Benaulim (south goa) tries the same thing 'sweet'change trick - no such problem in margao or the smaller shops in/around benaulim as the locals would not stand for this.

whenever i do have to shop at kaders, i make sure i have enough change or if not, i insist he gives me proper change or a credit note for next time
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:05 am
Sensible Member

GoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the rough

It would be nice if the staff wore deodrant also or at least washed regularly. Some of them really stink of BO - I was in there yesterday and the checkout girl smelt like mouldy cheese - made me feel quite sick!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:20 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoanPlaces
It would be nice if the staff wore deodrant also or at least washed regularly. Some of them really stink of BO - I was in there yesterday and the checkout girl smelt like mouldy cheese - made me feel quite sick!
Have they turned off the A/C to save money in monsoon? Should give them deodorant instead.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Latest ploy at NEWTONS

Just dont shop at Newtons Noni..we always use Hazels supermarket in Mapusa..by the old fish market on the back road..its small but she has everything in there and doesnt mess around with your change..
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Just dont shop at Newtons Noni..we always use Hazels supermarket in Mapusa..by the old fish market on the back road..its small but she has everything in there and doesnt mess around with your change..
Hazel opened up a shop in Calangute last season !
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:36 pm
Sensible Member

GoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the rough

Well what can I say, we get the retail we deserve! If we didn't frequent such establishments then they would close down due to lack of business. The fact that Newtons is semi-clean (not downright filthy as most other shops in Goa) keeps people coming back again. The staff do need to freshen up though! They sell so many brands of deodrant here, and should probably issue them to staff along with their uniform

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.