Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Its Official! Taj Mahal one of the worlds seven wonders....Whats yours?

Its Official! Taj Mahal one of the worlds seven wonders....Whats yours?

Old Jul 8th 2007, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Question Its Official! Taj Mahal one of the worlds seven wonders....Whats yours?

Hi folks,
Now for something a little more lighthearted.
The Taj Mahal is now officially one of the worlds seven wonders.
http://www.new7wonders.com/

What is the most wonderful building or place that you have seen on your travels?
Either in India, Goa or the rest of the world and why?

Nothing too vulgar please.

Kind Regards,
Remy

PS. Go on then.....it can also be one of your 'seven horrors of the world'

Last edited by Remy-Ireland; Jul 8th 2007 at 8:14 am. Reason: Add link
Old Jul 8th 2007, 8:03 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its Official! Taj Mahal one of the worlds seven wonders....Whats yours?

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi folks,
What is the most wonderful building or place that you have seen on your travels?

Kind Regards,
Remy

PS. I dont think this is as easy as it sounds......
The Advocates office, Panjim Police stations - and don't any of you ladies use the loo in the Police station - why the hell they lock the ladies I do not know - perhaps you keep the smell in.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: Its Official! Taj Mahal one of the worlds seven wonders....Whats yours?

Originally Posted by noni
The Advocates office, Panjim Police stations - and don't any of you ladies use the loo in the Police station - why the hell they lock the ladies I do not know - perhaps you keep the smell in.
Hi Noni,

Think that should go under 'seven horrors of the world' category.

Remy
Old Jul 8th 2007, 8:38 am
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Its Official! Taj Mahal one of the worlds seven wonders....Whats yours?

Hi folks,
http://www.new7wonders.com/

Kind Regards,
Remy

PS. Go on then.....it can also be one of your 'seven horrors of the world'
Hi Remy and i like these light hearted threads cos my poor little brain can switch to autopilot and less sparks fly about so much better for global warming reduction etc! Anyway i think up there amongst my personal 7 wonders (and i wasn't that impressed with the Taj), are:

1: The Mahabodhi temple/Stupa in Bodhgaya,The Buddhist epicentre of the universe and a real mindblowing powerhouse!) (in Bihar state, India)

2:Boudha stupa near Kathmandu (also mind blowing if you like that sort of thing - & even if you don't)!

3: Boroboddur Stupa in Java, Indonesia (the largest 3D Buddhist stupa on our planet and great views of live volcanos in the distance)!

4: Mount Kailash (except so far haven't actually made it to this one unfortunately)!(Tibet).

5: Mount Arunachala, Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu,India (where the great Indian saint, Sri Ramana Maharishi spent much of his life and you can visit his ashram and listen to Vedic chanting early in the morning and watch free range peacocks wondering around before climbing the mountain and visiting the caves where he used to meditate).

6: Guru Rinpoche (Padmasambhava's) cave in Tso pema/Rewalsar, H.P. India

7: Hampi, Karnataka, India
Old Jul 8th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Remy and Noni. will have a think, but it would be easier to say which Wonders of the World I found grossly overrated, overpriced and underwhelming. But then I am a well known cynic and am more impressed by normal everyday things rather than a pile of rubble. Would agree with TDK about Hampi.
Regards
Tony P
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TDK
Hi Remy and i like these light hearted threads cos my poor little brain can switch to autopilot and less sparks fly about so much better for global warming reduction etc! Anyway i think up there amongst my personal 7 wonders (and i wasn't that impressed with the Taj), are:

1: The Mahabodhi temple/Stupa in Bodhgaya,The Buddhist epicentre of the universe and a real mindblowing powerhouse!) (in Bihar state, India)

2:Boudha stupa near Kathmandu (also mind blowing if you like that sort of thing - & even if you don't)!

3: Boroboddur Stupa in Java, Indonesia (the largest 3D Buddhist stupa on our planet and great views of live volcanos in the distance)!

4: Mount Kailash (except so far haven't actually made it to this one unfortunately)!(Tibet).

5: Mount Arunachala, Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu,India (where the great Indian saint, Sri Ramana Maharishi spent much of his life and you can visit his ashram and listen to Vedic chanting early in the morning and watch free range peacocks wondering around before climbing the mountain and visiting the caves where he used to meditate).

6: Guru Rinpoche (Padmasambhava's) cave in Tso pema/Rewalsar, H.P. India

7: Hampi, Karnataka, India
Hi TDK,

Wow some of these sound great.
Planning to do Hampi in December.
Three of your seven in India so very doable for all us Goa wannabes.
Must admit NO.5 in Tamil Nadu sounds fab.

Great Stuff,
Remy
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TONY P

Hi Remy and Noni. will have a think, but it would be easier to say which Wonders of the World I found grossly overrated, overpriced and underwhelming. But then I am a well known cynic and am more impressed by normal everyday things rather than a pile of rubble. Would agree with TDK about Hampi.
Regards
Tony P
Hi Tony,
Yes i agree, some people find many overrated and overpriced but still let us know which ones you were not impressed with as well as the ones you loved.

Cheers,
Remy
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:32 am
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Its Official! Taj Mahal one of the worlds seven wonders....Whats yours?

Hi TDK,

Wow some of these sound great.
Planning to do Hampi in December.
Three of your seven in India so very doable for all us Goa wannabes.
Must admit NO.5 in Tamil Nadu sounds fab.

Great Stuff,
Remy
Thanks Remy, and you definately won't be disappointed with #5 (or any of them)! I also forgot to mention that Arunachala mountain/hill is maybe about 10 minutes or so by bus from Tiruvannamalai where there's a huge famous temple where they sometimes have a resident elephant who will very gently bop you on the head to bless you (if you 1st give him some baksheesh)!

Also just to set the record straight, when i proclaimed the Mahabodhi temple in Bodhgaya to be the Buddhist epicentre of the universe, that was more figuratively speaking as whilst it is considered to be the # 1 Buddhist pilgrimmage site (as the place where the historical Buddha attained enlightenment under the Bodhi tree); interms of Buddhist cosmology, the mythological Mount Meru (said to be located beyond the physical plane of reality), represents the centre of the universe. Interestingly Mount Kailash in S.W.Tibet is considered to be the earthly manifestation of Mount Meru, and is sacred to Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, Bonpos and i think also to Sikhs.

I would also love to see Angkor Wat in Cambodia which i think is one of the official 7 wonders. I guess i have a bit of an Asian/Buddhist bias though so i would be interested to hear others opinions on the worlds' wonders including in other continents.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TDK
Thanks Remy, and you definately won't be disappointed with #5 (or any of them)! I also forgot to mention that Arunachala mountain/hill is maybe about 10 minutes or so by bus from Tiruvannamalai where there's a huge famous temple where they sometimes have a resident elephant who will very gently bop you on the head to bless you (if you 1st give him some baksheesh)!

Also just to set the record straight, when i proclaimed the Mahabodhi temple in Bodhgaya to be the Buddhist epicentre of the universe, that was more figuratively speaking as whilst it is considered to be the # 1 Buddhist pilgrimmage site (as the place where the historical Buddha attained enlightenment under the Bodhi tree); interms of Buddhist cosmology, the mythological Mount Meru (said to be located beyond the physical plane of reality), represents the centre of the universe. Interestingly Mount Kailash in S.W.Tibet is considered to be the earthly manifestation of Mount Meru, and is sacred to Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, Bonpos and i think also to Sikhs.

I would also love to see Angkor Wat in Cambodia which i think is one of the official 7 wonders. I guess i have a bit of an Asian/Buddhist bias though so i would be interested to hear others opinions on the worlds' wonders including in other continents.

Hi TDK,

Thank you for posting such interesting info .

On a general note, nice to see the gradual development of the material displayed on this site. Starting subject matter was tiles and cheap beer.

How about just going outside on a clear night and looking up into the sky, a humbling experience ?

regards
douglas
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi TDK,

On a general note, nice to see the gradual development of the material displayed on this site. Starting subject matter was tiles and cheap beer.

How about just going outside on a clear night and looking up into the sky, a humbling experience ?

regards
douglas
Hi Douglas
Nothing wrong with cheap beer and looking up at the stars is a great experience but I don't feel humbled. I feel awed, excited, inquisitive same as watching a volcano erupt or a tornado, or watching waves, nature is incredible and we are part of it, awe inspiring.
Regards
Tony P
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi TDK,

regards
douglas
Hi Douglas,

Janis and I were camping out at the bottom of the Mourne Mountains in County Down a couple of years ago with the kids. Anyway I got up at about 2am to go for a whiz and wow .......it was an amazing star filled clear sky outside and with the back drop of the mourne mountains it was breath taking. I woke Janis up and we stood outside in awe just looking upward at the stars. For whatever reason the stars seemed really clear and bright that morning, the air was pure and their was a deadly silence..........Fabulous.......and it did make one feel so small and un-important in the grand scale of things.....like you say 'a humbling experience.'

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Hi Douglas,

Janis and I were camping out at the bottom of the Mourne Mountains in County Down a couple of years ago with the kids. Anyway I got up at about 2am to go for a whiz and wow .......it was an amazing star filled clear sky outside and with the back drop of the mourne mountains it was breath taking. I woke Janis up and we stood outside in awe just looking upward at the stars. For whatever reason the stars seemed really clear and bright that morning, the air was pure and their was a deadly silence..........Fabulous.......and it did make one feel so small and un-important in the grand scale of things.....like you say 'a humbling experience.'

Kind Regards,
Remy
Hi Remy,

Nice that you have shared a similar experience and even better that you shared it together.

When i look up at the sky i also feel insignificant and realise how short my life on this earth really is and yet in a way i am also empowered and i feel as if i belong. Maybe at these times the ego is so diminished, that we begin to understand who we are and how we fit into the scheme of things.

Arent many of these sites also the result of ancient man looking upwards , having similar thoughts and then constructing objects and developing systems in an attempt to better understand what they have experienced. Even including climbing physically closer to the heavens.

regards
douglas
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TDK

Hi TDK,
Great Stuff......I take it you are a big Buddhist fan?

One of the most awe inspiring sites i have ever seen has to be Chichen Itza in the Yucatan, Mexico. Also now listed as one of the new 7 wonders of the world.
It was/is an absolute amazing place. The Mayan ruins are fabulous but this place is smack bang in the middle of the jungle.......i think im right in saying it was only discovered as recently as the 70s.
The Mayans were big into astronomy and the famous Pyramid has 365 steps to the top of it. Once at the top all you can see is pure jungle for 360 degrees and of course the other Mayan Buildings.

The Observatory is sort of a strange building, all angles and nothing really lining up correctly.....until they discovered that all the angles are lined up with the constellations of the stars........amazing.

The Mayans played this game called 'poc to poc' which was like a medieval game of basketball.......the only real differance being that the losing team got decapitated/sacrificed to the Gods. There are walls around the ancient stadium made of human skulls from the losers.(damn good incentive to get good at your game, me thinks)

There is a strange feeling/vibe when you go to chichen itza and i havent figured out wether it is a good or bad vibe but it is an awe inspiring place and a fabulous piece of History about the mysterious and fascinating Mayans. Well worth a visit if any or you ever get the chance.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Remy,

Nice that you have shared a similar experience and even better that you shared it together.

When i look up at the sky i also feel insignificant and realise how short my life on this earth really is and yet in a way i am also empowered and i feel as if i belong. Maybe at these times the ego is so diminished, that we begin to understand who we are and how we fit into the scheme of things.

Arent many of these sites also the result of ancient man looking upwards , having similar thoughts and then constructing objects and developing systems in an attempt to better understand what they have experienced. Even including climbing physically closer to the heavens.

regards
douglas
Hi Douglas,

Funny our posts crossed.........but read my one on Chichen Itza....thats exactly what the Mayans did.

Kind Regards,
Remy.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:41 pm
KKK
Forum Regular

KKK will become famous soon enoughKKK will become famous soon enough

Hi Douglas,

Kind Regards,
Remy
Talking about Humbling experince and awe inspiring ones

what do you guys feel when you watch the sea, both when its calm and when it s furious

KKK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.