Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Iinternational Driving Licence checks.

Iinternational Driving Licence checks.

Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future
Default Iinternational Driving Licence checks.

Just got stopped on Mondovi bridge by the Police (blue and white uniforms) and they made a thorough check of the International Licence. After they had both spent quite a while looking at it one shook my OH's hand and patted him on the back.
Then he said - Sir yours is the first European licence I have seen which is in order, all the others either show me a licence from their Country or an Internation licence without permission to ride a scooter.
So they are now looking to see if you passed your motorbike test in UK or where-ever, luckily my OH passed his years ago.
As we rode off they both waved to us
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:39 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iinternational Driving Licence checks.

Originally Posted by emsirrah
Just got stopped on Mondovi bridge by the Police (blue and white uniforms) and they made a thorough check of the International Licence. After they had both spent quite a while looking at it one shook my OH's hand and patted him on the back.
Then he said - Sir yours is the first European licence I have seen which is in order, all the others either show me a licence from their Country or an Internation licence without permission to ride a scooter.
So they are now looking to see if you passed your motorbike test in UK or where-ever, luckily my OH passed his years ago.
No money passed hands!!!
Have a new International Driving licence from application leaving here to return of licence, with postal strike 5 days.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice

Had my bike wheel clamped in Mapusa, May 2009, alongside Goan in same siruation. He phoned the number on the sticker stuck to our petrol tanks and after some time a uniformed cop and non uniformed person (cousin/brother in law???) arrived.

I watched carefully as they unlocked the Goan's bike, gave a brief check of his ID card and issued a challan for 100 rupees, and he drove off.

They came to me by which time I had my notarised and valid Registration Booklet, Pollution Certificate, Insurance Certificate, UK Drivers licence (motrbike test passed, can ride any cc of bike internationally), and International Driver's Licence.

After harrassing me with irrelevant questioning about how could I own this bike in Goa, where do I live, how long in Goa what RTO was it registered at (it says which one on the Registration booklet, dummy), I was told I was 'in big trouble, 950 rupees fine!!!).

I told them no way, this is harrassment of foreigners, 100 rupees seems to be the standard fine now for parking even when it is in an open space not obstructing traffic but there is at some distance a rusty old sign that might at one time have read Restricted Parking.

The fake Rayban shaded cop who had obviously been watching too many American cop shows, and his filthy sidekick who was supposed to also be a cop, refused to release the bike unless I go pillion to Mapusa Police Station.

Once there, out the back in amongst all the piles of rusted impounded scooters and motorbikes, we negotiated the deal. Their neanderthal problem was that my Internetional Driver's licence states VALID FROM and has an ink stamp of the date of issue. It was clearly valid, yet they insisted VALID FROM really meant VALID UNTIL.

It had been a stressful morning notarising yet more documents at the Notary/Advocates and trying to get clarification on the property issue, so I grudgingly settled at 200 rupees. I looked for the uniformed cops number on his belt - he didn't appear to have one - I had already demanded to see his superior, I wasn't given any challan/receipt, and aggresively told to 'go quickly, or you will be in more trouble'.

Wheel clamping and the extortion of bribes is a new scam someone has obviously picked up on their fact finding missions abroad. doesn't seem having all the proper documents means anything in certain cases.

Lucky you, Emsirrah, though
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

Noni - has been stated on here many times - my husband does not give out his hard earned lightly - infact I do not know the combination number of his money belt. (or he thinks not)

Babu - sometimes I wonder about my OH - he is a very calm but one of these days he will snap - comes with borrowing Catherine Tate videos from a friend here in Goa!!!!

Last edited by emsirrah; Oct 25th 2009 at 3:44 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:48 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Noni - has been stated on here many times - my husband does not give out his hard earned lightly - infact I do not know the combination number of his money belt. (or he thinks not)

Babu - sometimes I wonder about my OH - he is a very calm but one of these days he will snap - comes with borrowing Catherine Tate videos from a friend here in Goa!!!!
Em been collecting some DVD's to bring out for you to borrow.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Go to Gossip and Chat Sorry

Last edited by noni; Oct 25th 2009 at 4:29 pm. Reason: stand corrected
Old Oct 26th 2009, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

You can tell it's the start of the tourist season.We got stopped in the car on Saturday about 2 miles out of Panjim,usual place by the rumblers.I shouted at him "why have you stopped us because we are foreigners ?". Asked for my wife's international driving licence.All in order so started asking us who's car it was and how much we paid.I told him it was registered with the local Sarpanch,which shut him up,then the cheeky git asked us if we had any chocolate.............

John
Old Oct 26th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Banyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura aboutBanyan has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Iinternational Driving Licence checks.

Originally Posted by jcbrum
You can tell it's the start of the tourist season.We got stopped in the car on Saturday about 2 miles out of Panjim,usual place by the rumblers.I shouted at him "why have you stopped us because we are foreigners ?". Asked for my wife's international driving licence.All in order so started asking us who's car it was and how much we paid.I told him it was registered with the local Sarpanch,which shut him up,then the cheeky git asked us if we had any chocolate.............

John
Hi John,

You should have said to the cop,"WHO DO YOU THINK I AM? F******* FATHER CHRISTMAS!"

Sunglow.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunglow
Hi John,

You should have said to the cop,"WHO DO YOU THINK I AM? F******* FATHER CHRISTMAS!"

Sunglow.
I'll remember that if he stops us again.

John
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

martin_d is an unknown quantity at this point

I got stopped at Arpora on my second night on the way home. After producing the IDL, he waived me on, and no cash changed hands. Have to say I was astounded! He did ask for a cigarette,but when I told him I didn't smoke, eh said quite right and waived me on
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:13 pm
C_W
Forum Regular

C_W is an unknown quantity at this point

I was stopped yesterday at the Banyan tree on the Mapusa road between Calangute and the Palmarinha.
The officers remembered that they had stopped me before and didnt bother to check my docs again, but at the same time they stopped quite a few locals on 2 wheelers. It was good to see that they were'nt just harrassing the foreigners as most people think.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Kinrara will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by C_W
I was stopped yesterday at the Banyan tree on the Mapusa road between Calangute and the Palmarinha.
The officers remembered that they had stopped me before and didnt bother to check my docs again, but at the same time they stopped quite a few locals on 2 wheelers. It was good to see that they were'nt just harrassing the foreigners as most people think.
This is one of their favorite places, got stopped here last season, they were there quite often last season.

Good to hear that they were also stopping the locals and not only the foreigners
Old Oct 31st 2009, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

Thankfully most of the local police (around Mapusa) know me by now and I rarely get stopped, but whenever I venture a little further afield I seem to have a large neon sign saying 'sucker' that hovers over my head, the worst time was when I was stopped in Panjim, the police man (blue/white) asked me for my licence and then tried to tell me that my INTERNATIONAL licence was only valid in my own country.. Duh! - Some (not all I have to say) will try anything to get money out of you. I do notice that foreigners and people with Mumbai plates get stopped far more than 'locals', thankfully I keep all my documents in order including the pollution check, which I really don't see the point of when the buses pump out more pollution in one day than my bike will do in it's lifetime.

Another time I parked my bike outside a shop and the police took it away on their lorry in Panjim. There was a sign further down the road for no parking. I challenged the policeman who took it and he changed his story from parking in a no parking zone to parking on the pavement (which I wasn't ), went to Panjim police station in a very annoyed mood, while I was there the police office falsified the report in his favour (in front of another officer), thankfully her agreed that the original officer had changed the records (infront of the chief inspector) I got the fine reversed.

The only fine I have paid is when I was speeding, and I didn't believe them there was a sign then, so went and checked - there was so, my mistake and paid... I also said they might get me again!