Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

If I wed Indian lady can I stay on after 180 days

If I wed Indian lady can I stay on after 180 days

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:05 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I wed Indian lady can I stay on after 180 days

Originally Posted by johnny five
You would feel a bit of a dick then?

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

GoaBound is an unknown quantity at this point

In regards to the PIO you do not need to be married for 7 years to apply. Married Dec 2008 - applied in UK Aug 2011 granted (had 1 year tourist visa that ran out in August 2011)
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

leegrand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GoaBound
In regards to the PIO you do not need to be married for 7 years to apply. Married Dec 2008 - applied in UK Aug 2011 granted (had 1 year tourist visa that ran out in August 2011)
if i arrive uk with t visa about to expire,and get a B visa, do i still have to stay out 60 days.
thank you.
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by leegrand
if i arrive uk with t visa about to expire,and get a B visa, do i still have to stay out 60 days.
thank you.
In theory no!
I`d email vfs at Hayes and ask them .
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:55 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

See post #8 here;

http://www.indiamike.com/india/india...-visa-t164525/

It relates to an employment visa but the same would hold good.

Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

An American man I knew married a young Indian woman he rescued from the jungle. They were already living together for a while and had a child by then.
He applied for permanent residency; this was back in the 80's and it wasn't very common.
CID sent 2 agents down from Bombay to check it out.
The man wasn't home when they arrived, so they interviewed the wife on the veranda, asking her lots of pointed questions.
The one that threw her was "Does he beat you?"
She didn't know the correct answer to that. "Sometimes." she told them hopefully.
They nodded and granted the approval.

They're still there, but separated now. If she divorces him, his visa will be revoked, and he'll be told to go "home" after living in India for 40 years.
I don't know what happens if she dies before he does.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 1:24 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

I am well aware that the rules make no mention of having to be married for a set amount of time before a PIO can be granted - what I have outlined are the actual experiences of real people who have married Indians and what they have faced when applying for PIO visas - How come it took 3 years for you?
It seems that it is easier to obtain the PIO in the UK than in India for a foreigner as it is more likely to be granted (except in the case of the woman I mentioned who had a seven year wait possibly because the authorities doubted the validity diue to her being 20 years his senior)........... there is no consistancy as with everything to do with Indian bureaucracy
............ consistency = the Indian myth !!!

Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; Jul 21st 2012 at 1:26 am.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
I am well aware that the rules make no mention of having to be married for a set amount of time before a PIO can be granted - what I have outlined are the actual experiences of real people who have married Indians and what they have faced when applying for PIO visas - How come it took 3 years for you?
It seems that it is easier to obtain the PIO in the UK than in India for a foreigner as it is more likely to be granted (except in the case of the woman I mentioned who had a seven year wait possibly because the authorities doubted the validity diue to her being 20 years his senior)........... there is no consistancy as with everything to do with Indian bureaucracy
............ consistency = the Indian myth !!!

Dread - x
My application only took three years simply due to my own inactivity as I had no requirement nor applied before then. (personal circumstances, kids involved etc).

I simply flew back to the UK last time with all the relevant paperwork (plus some) and applied for the PIO upon landing, saw family and friends and picked up the card a month later on my way back out.

I was named on the lease in Mumbai so I took that, photos of us both as required, wife's passport, my passport and the marriage certificate ..I also had other stuff (just in case) which they were simply not interested in.

We all know about Indian bureaucracy long before we decide to settle, why complain now. It is no more inconsistent or corrupt than anywhere else.

Scottish Legal Aid refused me assistance whilst in the UK simply because I could not provide details of my wife's income. Despite providing reams of proof and relevant sections of law, asking them whether I (or they) had any legal right to access her personal data; they openly admitted the answer was NO. They then refused the application on the grounds that I would not provide proof which I could not legally obtain and had no right to. I would have challenged that decision in court had I the time-frame to do so since they clearly based their decision on their own personal, biased and prejudiced view. Their own policies and acts had no provision for my circumstances as my wife was not a UK citizen and had no intention of moving here.

Suffice to say bureaucracy or administration anywhere is only as good as the person handling the case file and decision, no more no less; as in all walks of life and geographical location.

Last edited by GoaBound; Jul 21st 2012 at 7:46 pm. Reason: grammar :))
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:34 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

If I had been 'advising' her I'd sincerely suggested she filed the application and specifically requesting that she receive any 'decision' for refusal in writing. Depending on the decision I would then advise writing a strongly worded (hinting, not confrontational) letter couched in all the politically correct terms referring to any errors in their decision highlighting any relevant law and asking them to kindly review their decision based on the facts.

I would certainly advise requesting a meeting with someone higher up the food chain and hint if the decision to refuse has no legal basis or foundation that you will take it up with the relevant British authorities and media outlets.

As for myself, my application only took three years simply due to my own inactivity as I had no requirement nor applied before then. (personal circumstances, kids involved etc).

I simply flew back to the UK last time with all the relevant paperwork (plus some) and applied for the PIO upon landing, saw family and friends and picked up the card a month later on my way back out.

I was named on the lease in Mumbai so I took that, photos of us both as required, wife's passport, my passport and the marriage certificate ..I also had other stuff (just in case) which they were simply not interested in; plus the place was extremely busy.

Without knowing the full details of the case i.e her wealth, his wealth and other relevant information, decision exactly as given in their response I couldn't comment as to why after 7 years they them to wait.

Did they not obtain the services of a solicitor or any professional advice on the matter, what did they advise? I think after any rejection that was not valid I would seek a professional opinion .. if you cannot afford it there are plenty of avenues in the UK including legal aid.

I think I would have done more than accept it and wait ????

Pretty much all of those steps were taken - letters not acknowledge or replied to. Request for meeting with someone at HCI met with refusal. British authorities did not want to know on the grounds 'can't interfere with other country's decisions on visas'.
As with everything Indian, there is no consistency.

However it does seem that a man who has married an Indian woman faces less problems obtaining the relevant status than a foreign woman who has married an Indian man. In all the cases I know the foreign partner of the marriage is female and all have faced delays in obtaining PIO, especially when applying in India, although in one case it was the UK HCI who told her they would want to see 7 years of marriage because of the age difference between her and her husband - even though this constitutes a breach of their own rules and policies.
Certainly in one case I have referred to the woman was 20 years older than her Indian hubby and she believes that this created prejudice and added to the refusal. She was quite wealthy he was not.
In another case foreign woman, Indian man, married and have child, still refused twice in Panjim but succeeded by making 3rd attempt for PIO in the UK - maybe that has a bearing on things as well.

Who knows - it is India after all !!

Dread - x
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed a bias against foreigners with links to or residence in Goa; does anyone else think this makes sense?
Good friends of mine ran a successful restaurant there, and recently their business visa renewals were refused.
They were 100% legal and had 12 employees.
They told me everyone they know who had business visas failed to get them renewed.
They were given 5 year multiple entry visas with 2 month maximum stay; so the foreign office can claim that the visa was granted, but in reality it's imposable to make a living like that.
Somehow I think if they had been based in Mumbai or Bangalore, things would have been different.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I've noticed a bias against foreigners with links to or residence in Goa; does anyone else think this makes sense?
Good friends of mine ran a successful restaurant there, and recently their business visa renewals were refused.
They were 100% legal and had 12 employees.
They told me everyone they know who had business visas failed to get them renewed.
They were given 5 year multiple entry visas with 2 month maximum stay; so the foreign office can claim that the visa was granted, but in reality it's imposable to make a living like that.
Somehow I think if they had been based in Mumbai or Bangalore, things would have been different.
We had no problem at all renewing our business visa's last month.In fact it was a lot less hassle than in previous years.

John
Old Jul 21st 2012, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Pretty much all of those steps were taken - letters not acknowledge or replied to. Request for meeting with someone at HCI met with refusal. British authorities did not want to know on the grounds 'can't interfere with other country's decisions on visas'.
As with everything Indian, there is no consistency.

However it does seem that a man who has married an Indian woman faces less problems obtaining the relevant status than a foreign woman who has married an Indian man. In all the cases I know the foreign partner of the marriage is female and all have faced delays in obtaining PIO, especially when applying in India, although in one case it was the UK HCI who told her they would want to see 7 years of marriage because of the age difference between her and her husband - even though this constitutes a breach of their own rules and policies.
Certainly in one case I have referred to the woman was 20 years older than her Indian hubby and she believes that this created prejudice and added to the refusal. She was quite wealthy he was not.
In another case foreign woman, Indian man, married and have child, still refused twice in Panjim but succeeded by making 3rd attempt for PIO in the UK - maybe that has a bearing on things as well.

Who knows - it is India after all !!

Dread - x
Well it is understandable if they are sceptical in her case. Why a poor man (yes love is strange) and why do 'they' want Goa as opposed to the UK. Personally I would want to be wherever the main bread winner was. I don't personally know them but looking at the facts presented here it looks like the whole Greek waiter scenario except she also wants to retire with her wealth to Goa .. but why would that worry the bureaucrats ?

Other possibility is the hubby is getting all the properties in his name and 'blocking the move' .. greased a few palms to ensure it doesn't happen.

who knows ... love a good mystery.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Personally I think it's easier to apply in Delhi (if you go the India route; if you have the correct papers) but easier still the UK and less hassle. No experience of Goa .. just moved here June. However my wife is a Goan from a respected Goan family so doubt there would have been issues applying here (apart from living in Mumbai) we could have pulled strings but didn't and simply went with the UK route ..

Not sure what to say except

1. Do your homework and get all the paperwork in order
2. Apply via UK if possible .. Delhi if not
3. If all else fails find a fixer and cough up ..

4. If you go to Delhi get there early and ensure you have everything you need .. otherwise you will be running about.

Last edited by GoaBound; Jul 21st 2012 at 11:31 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:33 am

Well it is understandable if they are sceptical in her case. Why a poor man (yes love is strange) and why do 'they' want Goa as opposed to the UK. Personally I would want to be wherever the main bread winner was. I don't personally know them but looking at the facts presented here it looks like the whole Greek waiter scenario except she also wants to retire with her wealth to Goa .. but why would that worry the bureaucrats ?

Other possibility is the hubby is getting all the properties in his name and 'blocking the move' .. greased a few palms to ensure it doesn't happen.

who knows ... love a good mystery.
In the light of things known since this couple split up, I would not be surprised at your second option here Gb !!
Strangely enough she got her PIO and they split up shortly afterwards !

Dread - x
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

In the light of things known since this couple split up, I would not be surprised at your second option here Gb !!
Strangely enough she got her PIO and they split up shortly afterwards !

Dread - x
Of course despite the split they wish to remain friends and decided not to divorce since that would invalidate her PIO .. how sweet !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.