Holiday Romance

Old Jun 5th 2014, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

beachyhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holiday Romance

Originally Posted by Return of Santan
Hi beachyhead,

Its mainly expats and tourists that use the beach shacks, the locals only usually come in for a freebie !

In my experience the waiters ( mainly Indian/ Nepalese as opposed to Goan ) are paid around 70% of tips from the box ( plus "private" tips from customers...) with the balance 30% going to the kitchen staff, obviously this does and must vary.
The purchasing power of the rupee out of Goa is far greater in other states as the cost of living is cheaper out of state. IMHO I wouldn't say a shack waiter is the greatest of paying jobs...... Most Goans strive to be either a shack OWNER, taxi driver or cruise line employee with the more "menial " work left to those from other states.....
Thanks for your quick reply, so in comparison to UK wages how would it compare
Not sure how she is going to meet the financial requirements
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
If you have any spare cash you could do what the Goans do in this situation hire a private investigator in Goa to have a look at the man. Do it through one of the ex-pats here on this forum who is living in Goa now. He or she can find out the fees and you can wire the money via Western Union. There are so many con artists operating out of the beach shacks looking for a romeo visa to get them out but what people do not realise is the baggage that come with them...ie, their family and in-laws.Their are dozens of PIs doing this sort of work in Goa, so its not a problem.Just make sure who you hire is legit because he or she could also inform them and and ask them for money to give a false report.
Maybe this would be worth looking into, any idea what it would cost
Old Jun 6th 2014, 10:57 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachyhead
Thanks for your quick reply, so in comparison to UK wages how would it compare
Not sure how she is going to meet the financial requirements
there is the Surrinder Singh option for getting a spouse into the UK.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Re: Holiday Romance

Of 3 cases I know, the next move will be to buy or build a house. As a foreigner cannot own property in India, it will be in his name. Then there is the joint bank account and credit card. Guess what happens eventually. Everyone, the family etc. are nice until they want everything. Then you've already lost it. There's no comeback.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leavinggoa
Of 3 cases I know, the next move will be to buy or build a house. As a foreigner cannot own property in India, it will be in his name. Then there is the joint bank account and credit card. Guess what happens eventually. Everyone, the family etc. are nice until they want everything. Then you've already lost it. There's no comeback.
The plan at the moment seems to be for him to come to the UK,
Or would he still want to build the house for his "family"
Is it unusual for an Indian guy in his 30's to still be single (I thought that arranged marriages are still the norm, although I may be misinformed)
Old Jun 6th 2014, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

The plan at the moment seems to be for him to come to the UK,
Or would he still want to build the house for his "family"
Is it unusual for an Indian guy in his 30's to still be single (I thought that arranged marriages are still the norm, although I may be misinformed)
I think nonthaburi's post 8, says it all. The difference in ages and socio-economic status are the key points.

You say the man is "Indian" is he of Goan origin or from another state? What you call 'culture' will vary tremendously according to his state origin. The other question is his religion, again family attitudes will vary according to this.

Although arranged marriages are less and less common among higher socio-economic groups. At the very least a loose arrangement is more common among the poorer people, but again if the man doesn't have income to support a wife he may marry later.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bipat
I think nonthaburi's post 8, says it all. The difference in ages and socio-economic status are the key points.

You say the man is "Indian" is he of Goan origin or from another state? What you call 'culture' will vary tremendously according to his state origin. The other question is his religion, again family attitudes will vary according to this.

Although arranged marriages are less and less common among higher socio-economic groups. At the very least a loose arrangement is more common among the poorer people, but again if the man doesn't have income to support a wife he may marry later.
I'm actually not to sure where he comes from, as I say she is reluctant to go into detail which again makes me wonder why
Old Jun 6th 2014, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

How can I find any forum members who are currently resident in Goa

Thanks
Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

mytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to all

I'm actually not to sure where he comes from, as I say she is reluctant to go into detail which again makes me wonder why
The following is what happens to some female tourists who walk, trancelike, into a holiday romance with disastrous consequences:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-her-6000.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome...marry-her.html

Good luck to you in attempting to open her eyes to the precarious relationship she is pursuing, perhaps hers is a genuine romance, but my jaded eyes views things of this nature in a different more cynical light.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

The second one is one of those that I was referring to.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

kublacat is an unknown quantity at this point

I am British, happily married to an Indian citizen for over 40 years, but my husband says...beware!
Old Jun 8th 2014, 1:44 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

have you checked out the establishment he works in, do they have a website. do they list the staff? can you check out any comments on trip advisor about staff?

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jun 8th 2014 at 1:48 am.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

He worked in a beach shack. All shacks are temporary and are licensed till 31st May. Staff are temporary, and change from season to season.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kublacat
I am British, happily married to an Indian citizen for over 40 years, but my husband says...beware!
Off thread, but welcome, are you in India?
My Indian OH -- used stronger words.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the comments.
I've found out some more information about him, but would prefer to share it by PM if anyone can help
I, along with many others going by this thread, know that she needs to be very careful, (maybe she does in her own mind and maybe this is why she won't talk openly about him) but she seems so "loved up" at the moment, (which is understandable I suppose after all she has just got engaged) and I don't think she'd listen to anyone.
I do wonder if it might be the one in a thousand that is genuine, but think maybe the odds are stacked against it, maybe I should wish her well, but so many could get hurt.
How well can you really know someone after spending a few weeks together in "holiday mode" (maybe she needs to spend more time out there to see what he's really like)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.