Happy Meals in Goa

Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: Happy Meals in Goa

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi Remy.

The co2, colourants and additives in stuff like limca is not good for you, lots of sugar too, as leavinggoa says.

Having said that, when our grandchildren came over and we offered them water(cuz thats all we drink, cuz thats what your body is designed to work best on) you would have thought it was radioactive isotopes we were ofering." What, water, you mean drink water!"

douglas

Hi Dougs,

Exactly, thats just like our kids.

Cheers,
Remy
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

old man will become famous soon enoughold man will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TONY P
Hi Noni
I agree with you, a lot of the shacks are very good considering the kitchen facilities, my OH likes CoCo beach, part of it got washed away during last season's monsoon so some of the shacks were lost.
We ate lunch in one, and I had a real craving for egg and chips, so I asked for double egg and chips, and because you don't always get a lot of chips I asked for an extra portion of chips. Something got lost in translation so I ended up with 4 eggs an enormous pile of chips and 2 extra plates of chips, only cost 100 Rupees, felt quite guilty so had to eat it all.
Don't really eat a lot of Indian food, coriander makes me ill, even the smell of fresh coriander makes me feel sick. I Love garlic, chillies etc so I just have to be careful but everybody seems to use coriander in everything
nowadays.
I think that a lot of people get spiced out after a while and they just want to give it a rest and eat something that hasn't been overflavoured.
What the Indians call bland, I call the real taste of the food and I think that it is nice to be able to taste a potato or vegetable or piece of meat without the masking flavours of spices and herbs. Too much of the food like paneer or veg like potatoes just act as a carrier for the spice.
Biggest disappointment is lack of Pork and lamb in non-curried form, they have pigs and sheep and goats but it is hardly ever on the menu and GOOD cheese, you can buy some in packets but I don't think it is very good.
And I wouldn't eat in McDonalds for anything.
Regards
Tony P
Hi, Tony & gang,

We used to like CoCo beach, but it has changed so much since Tsuami Gravima Shack on the right hand side is excellent for food, No great menu but good portions and freshly made. We did try the other end of the beach (can't remember what it is called) it is the site with the Wigwams Their food was jolly good, and the toilets spotless.

Did have (New Zealand) lamb at Le Fenice that was excellent, but they could not keep up with the demand, so it was not always on the menu. If they can't get good meat they will take it off the menu. Like you I will not eat in McDonalds. There is nothing better than beans on toast when you are all spiced out. Make sure they are english ones, as have had some very spicy ones.

We miss proper cheese and good old fashioned ham. The cheese is o.k. in the sandwich maker, with onions/toms/ etc.

Sea U resturant in Nerul is very cheap and spotless.

Oh I wish I was back there.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Dougs,

Exactly, thats just like our kids.

Cheers,
Remy
Hi Remy,

Dont mess about putting them on the naughty step, just lock them in the brigg.

douglas
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leavinggoa
Coconut is high in saturated fat.
They're also high in trees but seriously, I have read that some nasty things can be in coconut products that aren't prepared properly, same applies to home flavoured oils.
Regards
Tony

Last edited by TONY P; Jun 13th 2007 at 10:56 am. Reason: speeling
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi Tony,

Good point, i forgot to mention the salt, potassium too, so eat some bananas and potatoes.

Had a tapeworm once, great way to lose those excess pounds, they should have them on those fat programmes instead of putting them on treadmills.

Coconut is high in cholesterol i think.

I cant see any reason why someone who would eat a cow shouldnt eat a water buffalo. But others bring in the cuddly factor and think that buffalos and rabbits are cuddly and therefore unacceptable as fodder. Skewed logic and denial in my book, but each to his /her own.

I think they are all cuddly and wouldnt eat any of them.

regards
douglas
Hi Douglas
Buffalos Cuddly?
I'll eat most things but even I draw the line at tapeworm. (Probably tastes like chicken almost everything else does)
Salt deficiency leads to very severe and very painful cramp, btgtts.
Won't eat fish, had bone in throat
Love crustacea
Won't eat molluscs in hot climates.
Not fond of rice, prefer noodles. But good mashed potato is always top of my list, nothing in it but a little salt and pepper and maybe a grate of nutmeg and good gravy.
Off to lunch
Tony P
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

I have read that some nasty things can be in coconut products that aren't prepared properly, same applies to home flavoured oils.
Regards
Tony
Hi Tony,
Didnt know this about the coconuts.
Does this mean that drinking the coconut milk isnt as good for you as one might imagine?
I have done this a few times on the beach.......bought a coconut,cut in half, drank the milk, and proceeded to munch on the coconut.
Is this why sometimes i have been delhi bellied?

Remy
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Douglas
Buffalos Cuddly?
Tony P

Yeah Douglas,

Im glad your not in the business of Designing and Manufacturing Cuddly Toys, you would have kids traumatised the world over.

Remy
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Tony,
Didnt know this about the coconuts.
Does this mean that drinking the coconut milk isnt as good for you as one might imagine?
I have done this a few times on the beach.......bought a coconut,cut in half, drank the milk, and proceeded to munch on the coconut.
Is this why sometimes i have been delhi bellied?

Remy
Hi Remy
As far as I know the liquid in a coconut is sterile and as an electrolytic type drink is OK apparently it is used in some hospitals. The problem is the straw you drink through or whatever they cut it open with.
The bugs to be concerned about are in the main those that will grow and multiply in a low acid environment and without getting technical, some of them will delhi belly you. As Douglas has said, even the money can be contaminated, just be careful, take your own straws. Wash your hands if you can before eating. The biggest problem in going abroad is that our innards are used to where WE live and when we take them abroad they are invaded by lots of foreign bugs having a holiday in you.
There have been problems in the past with some coconut products that have not been preserved properly, this led to some very dangerous bugs being found in the products, don't panic this was a while ago and it has been put right, you're much more likely to be hit on the head by a coconut than anything else.
regards
Tony P
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Yeah Douglas,

Im glad your not in the business of Designing and Manufacturing Cuddly Toys, you would have kids traumatised the world over.

Remy
Hi Tony and Remy,

Interesting reaction.

As i consider your point, i realise that perceiving water buffalo to be cuddly is a very different viewpoint, maybe they are more pat pat than cuddly. Also, i have lived with mrs douglas for a long time and maybe she has influenced me in this area.

It is her views i am partially expressing here i think, although i do concur. We used to keep horses and she certainly cuddled her mare, quite rightly so, it was the brightest horse i ever met. She also likes the smell of horses too, particularly the smell of her mare which was particularly strong.

We even considered having a house built where the horses could live in the house with us, thats how close we all were!

Our horses have long since died , but my wife has since transferred that affection to other four legged creatures eg water buffalos so she naturally wants to cuddle them and smell them as before.

As i write this i am realising that mrs douglas is as odd as douglas is, if not more so.

I think its a matter of perception, i dont see animals as a separate species, but part of the whole beauty of existence. Some people are cuddly , so are some animals and not necessarily the rounded ones, the attraction is internal as well as external.

If kids were brought up with water buffalos instead of plastic, i think they would naturally cuddle them.

I hope some of this makes sense.

regards
douglas
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:45 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TONY P;4908375]Hi Remy
As far as I know the liquid in a coconut is sterile and as an electrolytic type drink is OK apparently it is used in some hospitals. The problem is the straw you drink through or whatever they cut it open with.
The bugs to be concerned about are in the main those that will grow and multiply in a low acid environment and without getting technical, some of them will delhi belly you. As Douglas has said, even the money can be contaminated, just be careful, take your own straws. Wash your hands if you can before eating. The biggest problem in going abroad is that our innards are used to where WE live and when we take them abroad they are invaded by lots of foreign bugs having a holiday in you.
There have been problems in the past with some coconut products that have not been preserved properly, this led to some very dangerous bugs being found in the products, don't panic this was a while ago and it has been put right, you're much more likely to be hit on the head by a coconut than anything else.

:embaressed_smile::angel_smil
regards

Can't print the story here, but will tell you when I have had a few to drink at the Christmas Party. DONT BUY FRUIT FROM THE FRUIT LADY ON THE BEACH. WE HAVE SEEN WHAT SHE DOES WITH HER HAND.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noni

Can't print the story here, but will tell you when I have had a few to drink at the Christmas Party. DONT BUY FRUIT FROM THE FRUIT LADY ON THE BEACH. WE HAVE SEEN WHAT SHE DOES WITH HER HAND.
Hi Noni

Tony
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

thatman will become famous soon enoughthatman will become famous soon enough

Re Buffalo - there was a big article in one of the newspapers n Goa a couple of years ago about how they walk the buffalos for miles and miles before they slaughter them and the conditions of the slaughter houses etc- say no more - I eat them still.
Rice - not meat or fish - is one of the worst foods for causing food poisoning if it not kept very cold. When we had a restaurant the first thing the inspectors would ask was where was the cooked rice kept and at what temperature.
Fruit sellers - that knife is used all day to cut up fruit - never washed - handling dirty money then back to the fruit - never mind what she does with her hand.

Last edited by thatman; Jun 13th 2007 at 2:45 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thatman
Re Buffalo - there was a big article in one of the newspapers n Goa a couple of years ago about how they walk the buffalos for miles and miles before they slaughter them and the conditions of the slaughter houses etc- say no more - I eat them still.
Rice - not meat or fish - is one of the worst foods for causing food poisoning if it not kept very cold. When we had a restaurant the first thing the inspectors would ask was where was the cooked rice kept and at what temperature.
Fruit sellers - that knife is used all day to cut up fruit - never washed - handling dirty money then back to the fruit - never mind what she does with her hand.
Hi thatman,

I agree with most of the things you say , personal experience of the rice too.

regards
douglas
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thatman
Hi Thatman
Was that a restaurant in Goa?
Don't you want to know what she does with her hand, I do. but then I don't buy food from people on the beach especially not the cake and bun sellers
Regards
Tony
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

thatman will become famous soon enoughthatman will become famous soon enough

God no Tony - I wouldn't have a restaurant in Goa for a gold clock
Couldn't make enough money to retire from a restaurant in Goa unless it was the Taj - it was in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.