Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Good Resturants this Season

Good Resturants this Season

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Resturants this Season

I am amazed at the prices being charged in restaurants this season.I had a look in Britos open fish display case and he was charging between 700 and 900 Rps for medium sized Silver Pomfret. It was also charging between 1400 to 2400Rps for Cray Fish A.K.A Lobster ! In the market Pomfret cost round 200 to 250 for medium sized fish.At Chapora Quay they are even cheaper..! As for the so called Lobsters, they are bland and tasteless and not worth more than 300 Rps each.Jumbo Prawns taste better in my opinion. Fillet Steak in the market is roughly 300 Rps a kilo.In jamies they are charging over 260 Rps for 300 grams and all they do is flash fry it or griddle it to your requirements and its not exactly Fillet Mignon with a creamy French sauce.Its just a piece of burnt meat !IN Starlight last night we had two halfs of Tandoori Chicken with Kolapuri Vegetable.Two Rotis and two pint bottles of Kingfisher and it cost 480 rps and to me that makes sense.The Tandoori Chicken was cooked to perfection too.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

kernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the rough

went to place called the Rose Garden at Anjuna........portions were tiny...had to stop off at a supermarket on the way back to fill up...i think the only things that had a good meal that night were the mozzies...eaten alive
Old Dec 26th 2010, 3:09 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEB1
Thanks Noni. We are tempted. You said earlier it stops doing brekkie at 10.30 - is that am or pm? I notice they call it the all day breakfast so if it is am a bit of an Indian fib! And we too avoid the place normally as we also cannot stand TVs, and particularly football, in restaurants. In fact it has driven us out of Patricks for that very reason as they now seem to be catering for the football fans. Kills the art of good conversation.

Rising Waves always manages to get the steak just as ordered. We are going there Christmas Eve with friends but avoiding Christmas Day as I think 900 rupees each is too expensive. Just my opinion before anyone bites my head off.

Had our first meal in Jazz Corner last night. Live music was pretty good and some of us were brave enough to get up and have a bop. Food was as good as always and reasonably priced.
JEB1
It was 900 rups well spent - the food was absolutely perfect, and such a wonderful atmosphere - we have already booked for next year. How the magician got a coin under my husbands watch which was on his wrist we do not know, he did the trick twice at our table - brilliant.

Funny Hats, glitter party poppers, and good christmas music, money well spent. What a night.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya first post.... just got back from 3 weeks holiday in North Goa, Calangute.
(Though we hung out in Aswem for a long while)

I like these places....

Friends Corner shack.... Calangute (down "Paradise road", unfortunately named after the exlcusive Paradise Village resort) I vaguely remember it being called NV beach or NV road (virtually opposite drinking gaff hungry horse) and 3rd shack off to the right from road bottom this season,
Friendly, cool, helpful staff who look out for you, food is absolutely excellent, fresh and hot and tasty and a decent range of music, Indian, chill, reggae
pop a good mix up.

Sea View (Aswem) exellent fish curry rice (like it used to taste 10 years ago : )
bitter and hot !

Golden Eye Calangute.... went downhill IMO for a few years but it is tasting good again, lovely breeze through it in the evenings.

Cassandre (bad English from staff except manager, very friendly guys though and always wanting to help and make you happy, great food) Calangute. (going towards the beach through the town on the right hand side 300m after the second roundabout, cheap and lovely, try the Mackeral fillet peri peri .... nom.. nom hmmm )

The Teama in Candolim has a lovely sunset rooftop but the food is not what it used to be.

I love Goa but the traffic is getting worse, the food portions smaller and
this year the Brits are just not there? The flight I went out on was 2/3rds full.
One taxi driver suggested that the Brits did not like the vast Russian influx very much but I said I thought it was the uncertain times/job situation.
Lots of Swedes and Finns who are friendly and pleasant in the main.
temperatures seemed down this year which suits me as I tend to overheat
and get ill, some mornings I even had to put a T-shirt under my shirt as it was about 18 degrees. Also sadly global warming seems to be effecting Goa too with unseasonal heavy rains appearing for a few days and surprsing locals and destroying rice paddies : (

I have that post holiday blues feeling, it's so dull, grim and lifeless back in the UK : ( Takes me a while to feel the energy that the time in Goa has given me.
I have been 8 times now and met my partner there 14 years ago.

Love Goa and it's always sad to leave for all it's frustrations !

Cannot believe it's the first time I went there and did not hear a single Goa trance track, whilst this is a partly foreign cultural phenomena it's sad if pop and crap house music is all there is going to be.(amnd please.... I lost count of how many times I heard george Michael... "Last Christmas". I feel it's losing it's mystique little by little as time goes on.

Anyone know where the Goan mystique still resides, I would love to know?

All the best for 2011.

Last edited by Vagatorsunset; Dec 28th 2010 at 6:08 am.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:46 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vagatorsunset
Hiya first post.... just got back from 3 weeks holiday in North Goa, Calangute.
(Though we hung out in Aswem for a long while)

I like these places....

Friends Corner shack.... Calangute (down "Paradise road", unfortunately named after the exlcusive Paradise Village resort) I vaguely remember it being called NV beach or NV road (virtually opposite drinking gaff hungry horse) and 3rd shack off to the right from road bottom this season,
Friendly, cool, helpful staff who look out for you, food is absolutely excellent, fresh and hot and tasty and a decent range of music, Indian, chill, reggae
pop a good mix up.

Sea View (Aswem) exellent fish curry rice (like it used to taste 10 years ago : )
bitter and hot !

Golden Eye Calangute.... went downhill IMO for a few years but it is tasting good again, lovely breeze through it in the evenings.

Cassandre (bad English from staff except manager, very friendly guys though and always wanting to help and make you happy, great food) Calangute. (going towards the beach through the town on the right hand side 300m after the second roundabout, cheap and lovely, try the Mackeral fillet peri peri .... nom.. nom hmmm )

The Teama in Candolim has a lovely sunset rooftop but the food is not what it used to be.

I love Goa but the traffic is getting worse, the food portions smaller and
this year the Brits are just not there? The flight I went out on was 2/3rds full.
One taxi driver suggested that the Brits did not like the vast Russian influx very much but I said I thought it was the uncertain times/job situation.
Lots of Swedes and Finns who are friendly and pleasant in the main.
temperatures seemed down this year which suits me as I tend to overheat
and get ill, some mornings I even had to put a T-shirt under my shirt as it was about 18 degrees. Also sadly global warming seems to be effecting Goa too with unseasonal heavy rains appearing for a few days and surprsing locals and destroying rice paddies : (

I have that post holiday blues feeling, it's so dull, grim and lifeless back in the UK : ( Takes me a while to feel the energy that the time in Goa has given me.
I have been 8 times now and met my partner there 14 years ago.

Love Goa and it's always sad to leave for all it's frustrations !

Cannot believe it's the first time I went there and did not hear a single Goa trance track, whilst this is a partly foreign cultural phenomena it's sad if pop and crap house music is all there is going to be.(amnd please.... I lost count of how many times I heard george Michael... "Last Christmas". I feel it's losing it's mystique little by little as time goes on.

Anyone know where the Goan mystique still resides, I would love to know?

All the best for 2011.
Hi Vagatorsunset welcome to BE, and for all the information on the resturants. Yep, the temperature has dropped. Just went into our pool, my god it was freezing, himself just put his foot in the water.
Happy New Year, and keep posting.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya Noni, thanks for the welcome, are you Goan or an expat?

It's nice to keep the Goan holiday vibe alive even though I am back in the U.K at present. I reminisce about India throughout the year. I find the stong work ethic of the people inspiring for my own work. And love nothing more in the summer months than burning a few Nag Champa incense sticks on a hot day and thinking I am in India in the garden (you must think I am weird).

I am still jetlagged (usually takes a week to get over it fully) and wide awake at 5am in the morning, the first day or so when I got back I woke at 3:30am. I quite like it in some way and just go with it and get up and do some work or put the radio on. After 5 days or so I normally adjust back to normal.

This year I also visited Calcutta for a few days and that was an eye opening experience, nowhere near as chilled as Goa and the driving was on a new level or crazyness (for a westerner to see anyway). I also got ill and got a vomitting fever thing which was worrying cause I needed to fly back to Goa and was worried about being stuck in a hotel in Kolkata being ill with something that I did not know what it was. Either some Delhi Belly or a vomitting virus I think, I do not mind admitting I was I was quite scared and the place had a big psychological impact on me too and I think I was freaking out slightly. But I got better and will not forget the experience of being in the big city. A doctor visited and gave me all sorts of medicines.

India, one of the places that you can go to and think you know something about the place but really unless you are immersed in the culture daily and could see life through the eyes of an Indian person , you never really know what it's really like, you just get a glimpse and can luckily take a little of that
back home with you.

cheers
Old Dec 31st 2010, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

kernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the rough

tried the wooden bridge at Anjuna (at T junction) , bit pricey, portions were small, *****ed my cheese naan up (how the hell do you do that) and lamb(mutton) was not good - setting fab, staff good, just let down by the food sadly, tuborg as always was great
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:01 am

Had a good Sunday Roast in the Yorkshire Man on Sunday 220 rups. excellent value.

Found a little Breakfast/Brunch resturant - go straight down the lane at the side of the Highland, until you reach black iron gates. No name for the place as yet.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

iain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really niceiain492001 is just really nice

Originally Posted by noni
Had a good Sunday Roast in the Yorkshire Man on Sunday 220 rups. excellent value.

Found a little Breakfast/Brunch resturant - go straight down the lane at the side of the Highland, until you reach black iron gates. No name for the place as yet.
Hi Noni & Happy New Year.

If I remember correctly, Highland Beach Resort has 2 sides - Casa Manolita was/is on the shorter side. Is this new restaurant on the other longer side?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

JEB1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that the place being run by the boys from Foxys (and it is in the same road as Foxys but right down the other end, just outside the Highland). Not used it myself but I gather they do a mean steak baguette. I never each lunch as I would not be able to eat in the evenings.

We tried a new restaurant for us last night - Johns near Nerul Bridge. Food was quite good (mainly curries) and sensibly priced. With a couple of drinks each it came to 700 rps a couple. We even braved a trek through the back jungle track to get there, which brings you out opposite the Prazeres and then it is just a short walk from there. Ambience very basic but it made a change from the razzmatazz of mainstream Candolim and you could actually have a decent conversation without competing with the traffic and other diners. Only plastic tables and chairs but OK for the price.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Horse Doctor is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy New Year Noni
Think that Casa Manolita has not opened this year.
You are right that the restaurant at the bottom of the Highlands is being run by Foxy. We also had a steak baguette and we must have had the short straw it was the worst ever, also while there he was writing a new menu and discussing prices:
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Horse Doctor
Happy New Year Noni
Think that Casa Manolita has not opened this year.
You are right that the restaurant at the bottom of the Highlands is being run by Foxy. We also had a steak baguette and we must have had the short straw it was the worst ever, also while there he was writing a new menu and discussing prices:
AH! I thought it might have been run by Foxy's -so I definately won't be having the steak sandwich. Have been to Foxy's twice - not impressed.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

JEB1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We used to eat at Foxys but abandoned it for Rising Waves where we were tonight - so good to get back to lovely freshly cooked food that you know will not give you a gippy tummy!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by JEB1
We used to eat at Foxys but abandoned it for Rising Waves where we were tonight - so good to get back to lovely freshly cooked food that you know will not give you a gippy tummy!
Totally agree - the best in town .
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:25 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

So did this "Foxy" have a reputation for giving people a dicky tummy?

If so, why did they go there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.