Goa - Living

Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Goa - Living

Originally Posted by dauchery
I don't actually drive, so I guess I will he reliant o. Taxis
The cost of cellphone v. Skype will be totally inconsequential compared with taxi fares!!!!! <g>
I will try to find an apartment with fixed line internet if possible.
I rather doubt that such a thing exists

AndyD 8-)₹

Last edited by a_f_d; Feb 19th 2012 at 9:25 am.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:32 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as a "location independent" person, reliable internet is crucial to me. The Skype unlimited packages are great.

I will try to find an apartment with fixed line internet if possible.

I would think those are like looking for a needle in a hay stack, but good luck.

p.s. my quoted skype packages were from UK to India (Sorry)
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

dauchery is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by a_f_d
The cost of cellphone v. Skype will be totally inconsequential compared with taxi fares!!!!! <g>

I rather doubt that such a thing exists

AndyD 8-)₹
Ok I don't really understand what your saying about cellphone charges. To make myself clear, for my work I make a lot of calls to UK domestic numbers (01 and 02). If I was not using Skype unlimited then I would be charged a connection fee for every call, which adds up when you are making over 50 calls a day, and there's no way any cellphone provider in India can come anywhere close to less than 5 quid a month.

Help make the penny drop for me
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

... for my work I make a lot of calls to UK domestic numbers (01 and 02)..., which adds up when you are making over 50 calls a day

Help make the penny drop for me
I think I'd rather not, that sounds a lot like unsolicited spam calls (there are other possibilities I won't mention); surprised that Skype don't call unfair usage (or perhaps you know the safe limit).
Everything I wrote stands up, you said business calls, well 90% are cellphone these days, for which Skype-Out is uneconomical. Add up the other costs I detailled and see if it's worth the candle.

AndyD
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:49 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus, this thread is going round in bleedin circles............

1) You will not find an appartment with landline broadband installed, full stop. At leaqst 99% certain (already stated by several members on different posts)

2)Your skype-out package will almost certainly (99%) not work from Goa, even if you are using a proxy server.

2a)If by any chance your skype package did work from India, what the hell is the problem with using a mobile internet dongle? Several members have assured you that it works fine for skype......

3) As Andy said (in his inimitable way, do you have a bit of an "agenda" here that you are not sharing?

Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by a_f_d
I think I'd rather not, that sounds a lot like unsolicited spam calls (there are other possibilities I won't mention); surprised that Skype don't call unfair usage (or perhaps you know the safe limit).
Everything I wrote stands up, you said business calls, well 90% are cellphone these days, for which Skype-Out is uneconomical. Add up the other costs I detailled and see if it's worth the candle.

AndyD
How unpleasant you are, from the looks of your previous posts you probably do nothing but drink beer and troll all day.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnny five
Jesus, this thread is going round in bleedin circles............

1) You will not find an appartment with landline broadband installed, full stop. At leaqst 99% certain (already stated by several members on different posts)

2)Your skype-out package will almost certainly (99%) not work from Goa, even if you are using a proxy server.

2a)If by any chance your skype package did work from India, what the hell is the problem with using a mobile internet dongle? Several members have assured you that it works fine for skype......

3) As Andy said (in his inimitable way, do you have a bit of an "agenda" here that you are not sharing?

Andy, i'm trying to find out if people have used these dongles for calling normal phone numbers rather than just Skype contacts.

What do you mean I can't use my Skype package from India?, I can use it from anywhere in the world, i just need the internet. Why would I need to use a proxy?

My agenda is that I have a job - i'm a mobile freelancer and I need to make sure I can make sure the internet is mostly reliable. If I can't do that, then I have to look at other countries
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

I've just understood that it will be difficult
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:20 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck ...................bye
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnny five
Good luck ...................bye
Thank you. I'm just asking questions, my one concerning call quality for Skype to Landline calls remains unanswered, but I will find out no probs

Thanks to those who have give me advice , hope to meet up with some of you while you're there
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

Hi All

Following on from johnny five's and a_f_d's links for living costs in Goa, I have updated them a little.

There are now average monthly costs for volunteers,

everyday item costs and I have also add 80% of the menu of big banana... I will hopefully add others when I get chance. It's a bit late in the season, but I will continue through to next year also...

http://www.educatorstrustindia.org/Volunteer-Living-Costs.htm

Enjoy!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:37 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see you back Poipleshadow
And nice to see you continuing with your fantastic work

Dread - x
Old Feb 25th 2012, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by poipleshadow
Hi All

Following on from johnny five's and a_f_d's links for living costs in Goa, I have updated them a little.

There are now average monthly costs for volunteers,

everyday item costs and I have also add 80% of the menu of big banana... I will hopefully add others when I get chance. It's a bit late in the season, but I will continue through to next year also...

http://www.educatorstrustindia.org/Volunteer-Living-Costs.htm

Enjoy!
Just checked - gas cylinders now ₹418 - so maybe you should re-check some other prices (inflation has really leaped ahead in the last 2 years).

AndyD 8-)#
Old Feb 25th 2012, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

All the other prices should be right (i went to the stores and checked).

The gas bottle was the last time i bought, which was 10 months ago?? I think, it had only just gone up from 320 to 360, now 418!!! That's bad!
Old Feb 26th 2012, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by poipleshadow
All the other prices should be right (i went to the stores and checked).

The gas bottle was the last time i bought, which was 10 months ago?? I think, it had only just gone up from 320 to 360, now 418!!! That's bad!
... and without a subsidy that is beginning to cripple the government it would be around ₹700.
Governments can start subsidies with good intentions but over time it always happens that they become politically impossible to reduce or cancel and financially impossible to keep up.

AndyD 8-)#